Agropoli - public transport to Sorrento

Old Jul 11th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agropoli - public transport to Sorrento

After much debate and thought we, my mother and I have decided that Amalfitane coast is too expensive, crowded and mountainous for us! Every place we looked at in Amalfi had access and motion sickness issues for Mum, and as its impossible to avoid in Amalfi, I thought better to settle by the beach in a quiet place in comfort, with great food at decent rates, and good train links: Agropolis in early October.

However, Mum has been reading the links I gave her about Sorrento and Amalfi and wants to see them.

I can see from jfcarli's posts that he found it possible to explore the Amalfitane coast from Agropoli so I wonder if I can impose on him(?) or others to advise us. I did get a quote from a taxi company that to hire a driver and car for a long day in Amalfi from Agropoli would cost EUR270. And as its a car for our use, if Mum did feel ill we could adjust the day to suit ourselves.

Now trains are not a problem which is why I hope to visit Sorrento by train from Agropoli. The trenitalia site does not make any connection between Pompei and Sorrento except via ferry, but I believe I can walk to Pompei Scavi and take the circumvesuviana line to Sorrento. Any problems over taking the train to Naples, which takes 50 mins longer?
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 02:42 AM

Other than having to find the Pompei Scavi station, there shouldn't be any difficulties with the train plan.

You'd be joining the same CV rail line that runs out from their Porta Nolana terminus, and through the Piazza Garibaldi station that you would if going all the way into the city on the Trenitalia system...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/128288647

Peter
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

I just calculated the train times, allowing 30 mins to walk between stations as its about 1.5km and then wait for the next train - its about 4 hours going and at least that returning, so I am not going to propose this as a daytrip from Agropoli.

If the ferries are running in October between S. Marco di Castellabate and Capri this takes 2 hours.

But I dont think that will be an option for us.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

By the way, Peter thanks for the link, I have bookmarked it as it's useful to have a visual reference for the alibus stop in Naples.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 07:02 AM

You could take the train to Naples Centrale, go downstairs and catch the Circumvesuviana to Pompei Scavi. That would probably be a minimum of 2 hours one way. It's about 1.5 ours by car. Agropoli is really quite far south of the AC.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 07:05 AM

There are multiple stations in Pompei called Pompei. The CV train that runs from Naples to Sorrento goes to the Pompeii Scavi station (Trenitalia does not operate on this line), but there is another CV train line that goes to another Pompei stop. If you select Pompei as the station, then scroll down to map and click detail, you will see the station (blinks). Go back and select Pompeii Scavi as the station, you will see the stop most tourists take because it's right outside the ruins.
http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en/infostazione
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 07:09 AM

I forgot to say that Pompeii, though flat, requires a lot of walking. May not be appropriate for your mother.

The same Circumvesuviana line that goes to Pompei Scavi, continues to Sorrento. As for seeing the AC, maybe train to Salerno and catch a boat.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Mimar, we are not planning to explore Pompei, its just a stop on the way to Sorrento (and I cannot believe I just wrote that!)

If we took the fast IC train at 6.51 to Naples, caught the next CV train then we could reduce the time to 2 hours.

Most trains dally across Campania and it takes time also to locate the Scavi station, time to wait for the next train, time for a gelato! Four hours and still not in Sorrento.

Do you know of a ferry going Sorrento to Agropoli in first week of October? There seems to be a service from Salerno from Sant'Andrea though its unclear when in October that stops.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 09:54 AM

I think that more and more travelers are discovering that region as an alternative to the increasingly crowded and expensive Amalfi Coast. This short piece appeared recently in the NY Times:

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2...i/#more-164853
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 11:10 AM

"If the ferries are running in October between S. Marco di Castellabate and Capri this takes 2 hours."

This is highly unlikely. I have been to SMdC quite often over the past few years, the last in September 2009, and the last ferry for the year was on the 2nd Sunday of the month.

If you caught an Early train from Agropoli, changed at Naples, took the CV to Sorrento then explore, bus to Amalfi, Bus to Salerno, Train back - it would be a long day, but certainly "doable"

Santa Maria di Castellabate (bus from Agropli - 20-25 minutes), and Castellabate itself (local bus from SM) are both worth a visit from Agropoli although the obvious short trip is Paestum.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

I like your plan willit, and maybe with medication Mum could handle the bus motion - it's hard to predict, she might be ok but its easier to plan to avoid the problem.

At a little more than 2 hours each way by train if changing in Naples its doable, and we can relax on the train from Naples.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 01:37 PM

willit - Her mother doesn't want to bus.

There is a Trenitalia train from Agropoli to Torre Annunziata Centrale which departs at 8:44 and arrives Torre at 10:02 (only 1:18) and doesn't involve train changes in Naples. Unfortunately, this is not the Torre Oplontis station that the CV train stops at so I would get off at the stop before (Pompei) and taxi to Pompeii Scavi CV train stop (just a few minutes away). Torre Centrale station appears to be the same distance from Pompeii Scavi station as the Pompei station, but I would imagine there would be more taxis at Pompei because of tourists wanting to get to the ruins.

Arrival station Arrival time Departure time

Agropoli-Castellabate --:-- 08:44
Paestum 08:52 08:53
Capaccio-Roccadaspide 08:58 08:59
Battipaglia 09:11 09:12
Pontecagnano 09:20 09:21
Salerno 09:32 09:35
Nocera Inferiore 09:46 09:47
Pompei 09:57 09:58
Torre Annunziata Centrale 10:02

There's also an earlier train that departs Agropoli at 7:16 and arrives Pompei at 8:26 (1:10 minutes) if you wanted an early start. The CV train runs every 30 minutes so you wouldn't have to wait long for the next train from Pompeii Scavi to Sorrento. I'm not sure if there is a ticket window there or just a machine.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 02:16 PM

FYI - The stops are a bit different on the earlier train. I always try to get ready to get off when I hear the stop before the one I want as the trains only stop for a minute.

Agropoli-Castellabate --:-- 07:16
Paestum 07:23 07:24
Capaccio-Roccadaspide 07:27 07:28
Battipaglia 07:39 07:40
Pontecagnano 07:48 07:49
Salerno 07:58 08:01
Nocera Inferiore 08:14 08:15
Scafati 08:22 08:23
Pompei 08:26
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 10:04 PM

If you did want to make the change in Pompei, the Agropoli trains use the Trenitalia line and their "Pompei" station, and both of those are marked in red on this map of the city...

http://www.unicocampania.it/files/mappe/pompei.pdf

The Circumvesuviana's line to Sorrento is over on the left, with the "Pompei Scavi - Villa Misteri" station and that line coloured orange.

Those are a fair distance apart, but a variety of buses connect the two if you'd rather not walk?

When helping people arrange the Sorrento/Paestum journey, it's always seemed about the best choice for the place to change - particularly as there are likely to be lots of other tourists around!

Otherwise... that 06:51 Trenitalia train (a Regionale, isn't it - like the less early 07:36?) takes a fast line around the back of the volcano, and makes no stops between Salerno and Naples - which is why it's much so quicker than most of the others...

I think this map predates the route's opening, but may still be of interest for a rough idea of where you're going?
http://www.unicocampania.it/files/ma..._provincia.pdf

You get an unusual view of the Vesuvius and Monte Somma combination - and, later, you'd also have the ordinary one, from the Circumvesuviana!

For just a little more about the places through which you'd be passing, try the "Discovering Vesuvius" leaflet - downloadable using....

http://www.costadelvesuvio.com/brocure.pdf
or
http://discoveringvesuvius.com/brocure.pdf

And you'll perhaps have already found this, for help with the interchange in Naples - which may take you 10/15 minutes...
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-or-pompei.cfm

Peter

PS - probably not very relevant, but I may as well chuck in this too...
http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132567370
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 12:27 AM

"willit - Her mother doesn't want to bus. "

OK, sorry - didn't see that bit. In fact, rereading from the top, I still don't see that bit, but presue it must be on another thread.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Wilit, I am guessing here, and dont know how Mum will react. That is why I haven't been definite except to say that trains are preferred. She has been a hardy traveller for years but I have noticed lately she needs a few more handholds and she has occasional balance problems.

Thanks everyone for chiming in, I haven't thought of a taxi to the scavi station. And as for being ready to climb out of train I use the London Underground, talk to me about crazy tactics to get to the door over luggage, and trying to get out at your stop!
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 05:33 AM

The CV train is like a subway.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Is it as busy as London Underground, all year round? I thought October may be less of a crush?
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 08:43 AM

Try some of these for an idea...

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...vesuviana&aq=f

As with the Tube, it's busier at some times than others - but rarely anything like the Central line at 9AM!

Peter
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Wow those links certainly give me TMI. Derailment, lack of investment, it could be british commute. Except for the part where its such a fantastic network, and at reasonable cost that everyone uses it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information