Agriturismo in Tuscany/Umbria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a reasonablly priced, comfortable farm stay for a couple celebrating a 35 yr. anniversary in April (5 nights)? Would love to experience a friendly family atmosphere in a peaceful country setting as well as have a good location to do day trips to towns. Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 12:38 PM

Well, you will surely get many recommendations, but this should get you started: http://www.brigolante.com/apartments.html

We haven't stayed here yet but are anxiously awaiting our week in October. We chose it based on recommendations here and on slowtrav.com (and maybe also tripadvisor.com); nothing but praise from all quarters. The owner is delightful; extremely responsive and helpful. (When we return from our trip I'll post a report.)

Have fun choosing!!
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 12:44 PM

Do not stay anywhere else ! this was the wamest welcome we have had in 30 years a travel - We paid for an aprtment it nealy ended up all inclusive - we had two free huge spread meals and the owners who are clealry vey comfortable with their wealth seem to just want to share it with anyone who stays - its aslo very well positioned south of Siena.

http://www.agriturismopoderebagnolo.com/
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 12:59 PM
J62

I recently stayed at this location outside Montepulciano. About 15min drive to Montepulciano, 20min Cortona.

www.lemanzinaie.it

It's not agritourism per se since it is not a working farm. (I believe a business must get >50% of it revenue from agri to be classified as agritourism).

Very nice setting. The gracious owners host a dinner each week for all their guests. (5 separate apartments).

Comfortable, friendly. Good for those who prefer self catering.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

The places you all have recommended look amazing!
Since we have a "champagne taste on a beer budget" (if you know what I mean) and our whole trip covers 3 weeks in Italy I'm afraid we are looking for something E80 a night or under. Thank you all for anymore recommendations on the most "bang for the buck".
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 01:58 PM

impeachie,
Try La Crociona http://www.lacrociona.com/ It is a wonderful vineyard about 3 km outside Montalcino. There are many little towns very close (within a half hour) Siena, Pienza, Montepulciano, Bagno Vignoni, Sant Antimo, Monte Oliveto Maggiore, Buonconvento, Murlo. The driving is easy and the food and wine in each town is special. If you want more information you can e-mail me at [email protected]

Henry
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 02:22 PM

We stayed here on the border between Umbria and Tuscany. It is not a farm but it is in the country. The owner was an English woman who had lived in Italy a long time. I think it was about a 15-20min. drive to get to the autostrada. We rented the 1Bd apt. there is also a B&B room. It looks like it is in your price range. We would stay here again. Podere Le Querce
http://house-in-umbria.com/index.html
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Just noticed that although you posted this on the Europe forum, it would probably get more attention if you selected Europe forum and then select topic: Italy.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 02:51 PM
J62

Mary,
There only is one big "Europe" forum. All threads get lumped together.

The "Italy" selection when you first create a new message only aids in searching specifically for Italy topics.

The title is perfect. What & where are both stated clearly.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 03:09 PM

Hi impeachie
This will sound funny, but I feel like I can also recommend Brigolante even though I have not stayed there!

Why? I read lots of good stuff about it and exchanged many emails with the owner, Rebecca, two years ago in my search for a great Umbrian agriturismo for my birthday celebration.

Due to the configuration of my little group, we weren't able to be accommodated at Brigolante, but Rebecca was exceedingly gracious and helpful.

However, we ended having a super stay at another wonderful agriturismo in Umbria which has been written about on this site as well as Slow Travel's site:
www.lecasegialle.com

Le Case Gialle is an organic olive oil farm and has all the qualifications you mention. We loved our week in late May/early June. I would stay there again in a minute.

In Chianti(Tuscany)this B&B style agriturismo is sweet and unpretentious, just outside of Greve:
Podere Torre

You can access it through www.greve-in-chianti.com. Look under B&Bs or vacation rentals and scroll down until you find Podere Torre. A small charming place with roses and vineyards, and a lovely owner, Cecilia.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 03:16 PM

FYI, I just did a quick search and Podere Torre is still advertising Euros 65-75 for two people/night. I think this is about what we paid in 2002, so not bad and in your budget.

Breakfast is additional - I recall blood orange juice, good coffee and breads and sometimes Cecilia made us eggs...

Old Sep 11th, 2007, 03:58 PM

J62

You are absolutely correct. That is why I made the suggestion so that it would be in the Europe forum by default and also in the Europe forum, Topic "Italy" which aids in searching specifically for Italy topics.
Mary

Old Sep 11th, 2007, 04:29 PM

We just got back from Italy in July and stayed a week in Greve in Chianti, an hour south of Florence. It was easy road access to many cities, the land is absolutely incredible, and the family we stayed with was great. I absolutely can't wait to go back. Check out the little private cottage - you have the most amazing view of the Italian countryside. Ahhh, I want to go back right now! http://www.borgo-di-sugame.com/
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 04:58 PM

I can't second Annabelle's suggestion enough. We stayed at le Case Gialle last year based largely on her recommendation and were so pleased I have been known to actually daydream of our view from our balcony on occassions! The location was fabulous and the apartment was just lovely.

Tracy
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 05:41 PM

We can highly recommend Casale di Villore (www.villore.com). The setting is breaktaking. Just the Tuscany experience you dream about. The family are warm and friendly. great location.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

J62 & Marycang-
I'm a newbie---where should I post an Italy question?
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 06:50 PM

I always post a request and search for info on the Europe forum and then select the topic. Could be Italy, Hungary, Ireland.etc. so that I am in the topic where I really want the info. You will always be on the Europe forum if you post a question on Europe forum and then TOPIC: whatever country you are interested in. It appears that you have received many responses to your question. But, you may get many more if you select Italy topics. I just hop you have a wonderful time in Italy and Happy Anniversary in April/
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 07:00 PM
J62

Mary has given good instructions on how to select Italy for future searches.

I disagree 100%, however, that doing so will get you more responses.

My observation is that those who wish to find info will use the search function when they are planning their own trips in the future.

Those who have useful information to provide to others will not. Rather, they will hang out on the Europe board where all messages are posted then read and reply to those of interest.

Old Sep 11th, 2007, 07:20 PM

I second Le Manzinaie (right outside of Montepulciano). We stayed there 2 yrs ago and loved it.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 07:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I think more people check Europe as a whole instead of clicking one particular country. I never click a country unless I'm searching something in particular.

markrosy - What is the price range of Podere Bagnolo? I don't see a list on their web site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -