Agrigento or Selinunte in Sicily?

Old Jun 17th, 2000, 10:56 AM
lina

Agrigento or Selinunte in Sicily?

We only have time in Sicily to visit either Selinunte or Agrigento for the Greek ruins. I understand that the ruins of Agrigento are much more extensive, but that is not as important as the overall experience and setting for us. Any recommendations?

Old Jun 17th, 2000, 11:50 AM
Richard

I thought Selinunte was more impressive, simply because it was pretty much intact and gives you a scale of these places. Agrigento was interesting, but in ruins. I guess I had to see Selinunte before I could appreciate Agrigento.

Old Jun 17th, 2000, 04:36 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Lina <BR>They are so close, would do both! <BR>If not Selinute then Agrigento. <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, Il..

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 07:58 AM
Dianne

Both were impressive, but I preferred Selinunte because the temples weren't roped off or under restoration. You could climb on and around everything. <BR>That made it a lot more fun to explore than Agrigento. There was a nice beach too.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 11:51 AM
lina

Thanks, everyone, for your input - very helpful. Did any of you stay at Marinella, the beach town next to Selinunte? Or go to Mazara del Vallo on the coast a little to the north?

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 06:05 PM
Joanna

Another vote for Selinunte. The ruins there are undergoing some restoration work at present and the antiquarium (small museum) is being upgraded - it wasn't even open when I was there! <BR> <BR>I lunched at the (only?) seafood restaurant at Marinella and it was very enjoyable. <BR> <BR>Marsala isn't too far away for an overnight stay. <BR> <BR>Agrigento was very interesting too, but crowded with tourists when I was there (September).