Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Aghhhh...too many Scotland B&B's to choose from...help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my third forum question about my trip to Scotland June 9-20. I have now fixed my itenerary and am searching for B&amp;B's... sifting through them is more like it. There are so many to pick from, I am about to go insane. It is very difficult to decide on a B&amp;B when all I have is one picture and a small description. <BR>So here are the questions... <BR>should I not reserve any B&amp;B's until I get there? <BR>Is there any advice about picking one B&amp;B over another?<BR>Are there any good guides for reasonably priced B&amp;B's (20-30 pounds pp)?<BR>Any suggestions?<BR><BR>(oh, we will be staying 1-2nights each near Melrose, Inverness, Stirling,on Mull, on Skye... we prefer B&amp;B's in the country, rather than the city) <BR><BR>Thank you
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 02:32 PM

When I stayed on Skye, near Broadford (lovely view of the sea, btw) the Tir Alainn B&amp;B was &pound;20 pp, and the host was a delight. good, clean place, good breakfast, quiet area. Tir Alainn means Beautiful Country <BR>
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 03:34 AM

I can recommend a few B&amp;B's. On Skye, we stayed at Braigh Uige in Uig:<BR>http://website.lineone.net/~trotternish/braighuige.html<BR><BR>In Inverness: Trafford Bank.<BR><BR>Very nice people and reasonable prices.<BR><BR>I personally would reserve rooms before I left, but you could probably wing it in June.<BR><BR>Have a great trip! Scotland is beautiful.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 10:15 AM

I usually try to book places ahead, but when we went to Scotland 5 years ago in July, we got all our B&amp;Bs through the tourist offices. We found the people extremely friendly and helpful. If you are driving, you have a lot more freedom to do this. We got wonderful places. The best we ever stayed at was a veterinarian's house in Stirling -- white lace everything. So I think it would be safe not to book everything ahead.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 11:37 AM

If it begins to get dark, and starts to rain and you [and subject of &quot;we&quot;] are getting hungry and you don't yet have a place to stay, will you begin fighting with one another?<BR><BR>If so, you'd probably be better off reserving rooms in advance.<BR><BR>On the other hand, my second wife is unflappable in this regard. &quot;No big deal&quot;, she'll say &quot;we'll find something eventually. Just keep driving. Want some more chocolate?&quot;
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 12:37 PM

On Mull, we stayed at Fairways Lodge, which is up the hill (walking distance) from Tobermory on the edge of a golf course. Had a beautiful view out into the sound (or whatever water it was) We really liked it, and I believe the price was about 62 pounds per room in 2000.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 06:22 PM

Amcquiggan... We haven't visited in the summer so our experience may not relate. On our first visit we used local tourist assistance for reservations, it worked. This last trip I reserved a Kirkcudbright B&amp;B. We did better with the Gordon House stay that got through the tourist bureau 2 years earlier. This last trip I made reservations (based on websites)in an Edinburgh guesthouse that was sooo far out. That &quot;2 miles to city center&quot; sign is suspect. Oh well. While I will continue to make reservations (by phone) for our first and last nights I suggest you use local tourist bureaus to make suggestions, calls and reservations in between. Have a grand time! It should be lovely, but then again Scotland always is!
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 10:41 PM

First of all you are going in June so you can ignore Snoopy's comment about not finding a room until it gets dark. It doesn't get dark until 11PM or even later - you will obviously have a place to stay before then!<BR><BR>I would book a place ahead in Edinburgh and maybe on Mull. But June is not yet high season and the Tourist Information Centers in every town and many villages will be able to get you fine rooms w/o any problems.<BR><BR>Say you are in Edinburgh and know that the next night you want to stay near Stirling - simply go to the TIC at Waverly Bridge, tell them what sort of room and price range you want. Then head out for some sightseeing and go back to the TIC an hour or 2 later and they will have a place for you inc driving directions. Or wait till you are in Stirling or Callander and use the local TIC for the same service. No need to hunt for a place. let them do the work for you.<BR><BR>On Skye - stop in the TIC in Broadford just after you get on teh island - they will find you a place.<BR>
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 06:21 AM

janis, you are a jerk.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 06:26 AM

&quot;First of all you are going in June so you can ignore Snoopy's comment about not finding a room until it gets dark. It doesn't get dark until 11PM or even later - you will obviously have a place to stay before then!&quot;<BR><BR>I repeat, janis, you are a jerk.<BR><BR>Sorry, amcquiggan. There's only one person on this forum who seems to take exception to every comment I make, janis. I have no clue what I have done to invoke her goofy comments but practically anytime I make a 'tongue-in-cheek' comment she feels obliged to react as if I had threatened her physically. Perhaps that's it . . . she may feel to be the queen travel agent for Scotland and anyone else making comments threatens her.<BR><BR><BR>