Reload this Page >

Age limit on foreign drivers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 11:59 AM
marilyn fournet

My husband (78) and I (74) are considering a trip to Ireland and are wondering if there is an age limit to rental cars. We have driven all over Scotland and England, but that was some years ago. Still, we have had experience in driving on the left side of the road.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 02:08 PM
D.B.

Hmmm, seasoned citizens with experience driving on the left side of the road... you must be from Ballard, Wa. <BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 02:25 PM
Thyra

Marliyn, <BR> <BR>Aside from the comical response above.. as far as I know the only age limitations are on people who are younger then 21. However you may want to get an International Driver's license. <BR>Good Luck. <BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 03:13 PM
janis

This is a real problem - many agencies will not rent to drivers over 70 and almost none will rent to drivers over 75. My parents are running into the same problem - My dad is 79 and has diven thousands of miles on trips to the UK but now he can't find anyone who will rent to him. <BR> <BR>Your best bet is to try the majors - Hertz, etc. Good luck

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 03:55 PM
wes fowler

Marilyn, <BR>Just wanted to confirm the comments Janice provided; 70 is the usual cutoff for rentals; 75 assuredly is.