Reload this Page >

Age for Renting a Car

Search

Age for Renting a Car

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 1998, 07:58 AM
Trinka Wood

Age for Renting a Car

Hello- This summer I'll be going to France and wanted to do most of my exploring by car. I'm only 20 though, and I'm afraid that the agencies have an older age requirement. Can anyone fill me in of their policies? <BR>Thanks

Old Oct 14th, 1998, 08:05 AM
Lee

Trinka: I would check with some of the rental agencies locally as you will find them overseas, also. Hertz, Avis, Alamo and others are in Europe. <BR> <BR>I'm afraid that many may require a twenty five year old and a credit card, though. Your parents or a friend can't help because they ask for ID at the pickup point. <BR> <BR>For your sake, I hope I'm wrong. Sorry. <BR>

Old Oct 14th, 1998, 11:58 AM
wes fowler

Trinka, <BR>Unfortunately, Lee is right; 25 is the minimum age for most car rentals. All of the rental companies have websites. You might check those Lee referred to, but also check some of the European rental outfits, they've all got webssites, as well. Take a look at Kemwel, Europcar, Europe by Car, Auto Europe, DER Car, ITS, ECR and AutoNet. They along with Avis, Budget, Hertz and National all rent in France.

Old Oct 15th, 1998, 10:17 AM
Trinka

Thanks to both of you. I had a feeling I'd be too young, but I wanted to make sure. I thought that maybe in Europe it was different than in the US. <BR>Thanks again.

Old Oct 15th, 1998, 11:17 AM
Lee

Trinka: All is not lost. <BR> <BR>To get from city (or town) to city, the best rail service in the world is available to you. When in the city, bus, subway or streetcars are very inexpensive and efficient ways to get around. <BR> <BR>Besides, in many big cities, having a car is a burden. <BR> <BR>So you have alternatives. <BR> <BR>Have fun! <BR>

Old Oct 16th, 1998, 08:49 AM
Bob Brown

The other posts are accurate. I lived in Europe for 10 months with no car. <BR>There were times when I missed one, but I learned to use busses, trams, and trains. <BR> <BR>I just returned from Switzerland, and we set a record for the least number of miles we put on a rental car. The other comments that cars are not much use in the city are accurate. There is always a problem finding a parking place and one almost always has to pay. I spent 8 bucks (US dollars) in the isolated village of Saas Fee just to use their %$# parking garage. And the parking fee was NOT picked up by the restaurant where we ate an expensive meal. <BR> <BR>In a place like London, Rome, or Paris, I think having a car would add to the problem rather than solving it. <BR> <BR>Check out the various rail passes and see where you stand. We got the Swiss Half Fare card, for $133 each, and used it to get rail tickets, gondola tickets, and bus tickets at half fare (usually). It also included a train trip from Zurich to our destination and return. <BR>But be careful, not all rail passes are a good deal. Do a little cost comparison. <BR> <BR>