Afternoon tea in NY?

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Jo

Afternoon tea in NY?

Can anyone recommend a traditional English afternoon tea in NYC? <BR> <BR>I tried posting on the NY board but didn't get any answers so I thought I might get more answers here. <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 11:09 AM
elaine

Many of the hotels offer them <BR>including the Mark, the Peninsula, the Lowell,the Plaza, etc. <BR>I've been to the ones at the Lowell <BR>(very nice) and the Peninsula (better). <BR>Some offerings are a la carte, others prix fixe. <BR>There are also at least two places downtown that offer them <BR>Tea and Sympathy, a restaurant that features English food, is in Greenwich Village. It is very casual, but they offer a nice reasonably-priced tea, and there a shop next door that sells <BR>English specialty food items. <BR>Also, I have heard good things about, but have not been to, Lady Mendl's <BR>in the Inn at Irving Place, between <BR>East 17th and East 18th St. My Zagat guide says "A very civilized afternoon tea at this lovely tearoom steeped in Victorian ambiance...some think it is overpriced." <BR>

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Jo

Elaine, <BR> <BR>Thanks so much for the info. I will look into the Peninsula

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 11:26 AM
Lizzie

It's strange that you found nothing on tea in NYC on the US forum - there's a very recent thread (as in yesterday or today) about a woman who had tea with her daughter, as well as one debating the relative merits of different tea spots. You might search again...

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 12:00 PM
Ian G

I would also add the Pierre. Lovely, understated, in the Rotunda Room.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Clarence

I think you did not get a strong response because Teas are not a specialty in New York. Not a slame, just seems like you will be missing out on the more authentic offerings NYC has. Why not consider a fine French/Italian dessert cafe. Teas are just something the larger hotels do to bring in an extra buck. It is not something you could'nt also find in Chicago, LA, SF, Philadelphia or any other city. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Lisa

My favorites would have to be the Stanhope (across from the Metropolitan Museum) and the Pierre (across from the Plaza hotel). The Pierre has a beautiful rotunda room with cherubs and clouds painted on the ceiling. <BR> <BR>You can also have tea at the Plaza in all its baroque splendor, but it can be quite crowded and not as enjoyable. <BR> <BR>Other choices are Tea and Sympathy, Anglers and Writers and T Salon (not sure if that one is still open or not). But for a real "girly", dress up, delicious tea, try the Pierre.