After Visiting the Italian Lakes

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spending 3+ weeks in Italy with first part of trip consisting of 3 days in Lake Como. After that, we will have about 4 days before we meet up with another couple back in Milan for the remaining 2+ weeks. My question is where do we visit for 3 days before the remainder of our trip? We will pickup a van in Milan and will be renting a Villa in Cortona where we will visit some hill towns and then a villa in the Sorrento area before we finish in Rome. We have already been to CT, Florence, Venice, Portofino and the travel for the 3 days must be by train. Any ideas - very open to suggestions.
Old May 28th, 2013, 07:19 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I would either spend more time on Lake Como, add Lake Maggiore for a few days or a few days in Milan would work well,too.
Old May 28th, 2013, 08:02 PM

Agree with all of that, and would also suggest Verona or Bologna, because that's where I'm headed. No seriously, either would be great for three days.
Old May 29th, 2013, 12:39 AM

In summer, you could go into the Alps: Bormio, Stelvio, Glurns (most tiny medieval city in the Alps), Mustair (medieval monastery), Bernina, Diavolezza, Corvatsch, Pontresina, St. Moritz, Segl Maria .....
If you like sanctuaries: Madonna del Sasso at Locarno, Santuario at Re, Sacromonte at Varese, Certosa di Pavia, Madonna del Sasso d'Opaglio above Lago d'Orta, Sacromente at Varallo ......
If you like castles: Bellinzona, Castello Sforzesco at Milan, Palace at Isola Bella ...
If you like prehistoric rock carvings: Capo di Ponte (either via Tirano or via Brescia)
If you like medieval city centers: Bergamo, Cremona, Pavia, Lugano, Bellinzona, Locarno .....
If you like viewpoints: Monte Generoso, Monte Lema, Cardada, Monte Bre, Monte San Salvatore, Monte Campo dei Fiori, Sasso del Ferro, Mottarone, Passo del Monte Moro, Passo del Sempione, Pizzo Groppera...
If you like royal palaces, car museums, egypt museums and chocolate: Turin
If you lilke railway museums and technical museums: Museo Leonardo da Vinci in Milan
Old May 29th, 2013, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. As for travel dates we will be there in the middle of September. I was personally leaning towards Bologna but did not know what else would work well if we added that city in the mix. Thanks again.
Old May 29th, 2013, 08:36 AM
ekc

We spent a wonderful 3 days in Asolo, doing day trips to other small towns such as Ravenna, Bassano del Grappa, Cormons, and would highly recommend it!!
Old May 29th, 2013, 08:56 AM

We loved lake Orta since your in e area. If you aren't visiting the cinque terra with your group I'd fit that in