After London where else?

Search

After London where else?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After London where else?

After spending a month in France we will be going to London to visit family. Last week of October .
We would also like to spend 4- 5 days in another part of England. We will hire a car so transport is no problem. We last visited 25 years ago.

We had thought maybe the Cotswolds, or is there a better area? We like the little villages and countrysides.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 04:44 AM

Lake District. We were there in November a few years ago - cold but lovely autumnal colours. My son is working there at present and loves it!
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 05:15 AM

Lake District is amazing. Also Yorkshire, including York, could be an option. I really liked the Cotswolds as well!
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 06:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
entirely depends on what sorts of countryside you want. There are MANY areas you could go for 4-5 days.

The Cotswolds/Oxford, or Devon, Dorset/Somerset, or the Peaks, or North Yorkshire, or the Lakes, or East Anglia, or Kent - or several others.

Each of those places has scenery, villages, and enough to easily fill 4-5 days. For Proximity to London and things to see -- either the Cotswolds or Kent might be your best options. But honestly any of them would be fine.
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all
We visited the Lakes District many many years ago and loved it. Love the Autumn colours thats why I thought the Cotswolds (I remember seeing a beautiful article on them in Autumn). I love the Devon, Cornwall coast, just thought that might be a little too far.
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 04:47 AM

You can add Suffolk to your list of places near London (similar colours to the Cotswolds, but a bit cuddlier). Otherwise, North Yorkshire and the Derbyshire Peaks are good, but can start getting a bit bleak by the end of October (which to some is part of their attraction).

Not sure what you expect from the article, but don't confuse us with New England. Our autumns have a far wider range of much yellowier colours (America's dark red autumn colours are very rare here), and last a lot longer. Because their effect doesn't depend on dozens of square miles of one raucous colour, autumn is almost as nice in mature, well-treed, cities like London. A decent park (and London's got hundreds) has the same range of colours as the Cotswolds or Suffolk, and the same crunchy leaves on its paths.