Aer Lingus - will prices go back down?

Apr 27th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 19
Aer Lingus - will prices go back down?

Have looked into buying my plane ticket from JFK to Shannon and then from Dublin back to JFK in late Sept/early Oct for months and was ready to book today and noticed that prices went up by $100 dollars. Should I wait a week or so to see if they go back down or will I be kicking myself b/c they might continue to go up? Any suggestions? Thanks!
sdb421 is offline  
Apr 27th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 16,989
What do you think the chances are that prices at the Exxon station will go down in a week or so?
Gardyloo is online now  
Apr 27th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,125
no suggestions, just sympathy!
I waited to book my tickets for June, and they went up. I went ahead and paid, but I'm kicking myself for not doing it earlier. i have no idea what will happen, I don't think they would go down in a week or so.
china_cat is offline  
Apr 27th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 374
Aer Lingus are putting on a fuel surtcharge on each atlantic segment as and from May 15th. (35 Euro each way) $1 = 1.24 euro today)
British Airways have done the same so get cracking.
CU is offline  
Apr 27th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,098
No one can tell you for sure (or even not sure) one way or another.

We waited, waited, waited for prices Washington DC to Amsterdam to go down for late June--fortunately we were patient and persistent. Caught the sale 10 days or so ago when prices came down quite suddenly--about $50 below what we had set as a target price.

If prices to Europe hadn't come down, we were set to go to Alaska--interesting that tickets to Alaska at that time were $300 less per person than to Europe (mid-$500s compared to mid-$800s), even though the flight was a little longer. There are a lot of factors that go into ticket pricing--fuel costs being only one of many.

So, sdb421, would the same happen for you if you were to wait? I don't know. I do know we weren't willing to pay $850 to go to Europe when we could go to Alaska for $550.

We were also looking at Korea and Japan--a lot longer flight than to Europe that we could have gotten in the upper $800s. But they would probably be too hot and humid for us in June and July.

Oil prices have been slowly trending down (very slowly) the last couple of days. But I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to what they'll do even tomorrow, let alone through the summer.
RufusTFirefly is offline  
Apr 27th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,229
Wait. You are far enough out that my guess is they will come down again. I had this happen to me on NWA this winter, and lo and behold within a week they were back to the same place.
julies is offline  
Apr 27th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Posts: n/a
sdb421, you won't get a good answer to that. All the people who know the right answer to your question are far too busy banking and spending their profits on the stock market and their lottery wins to bother to come here to answer such questions.
Apr 30th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 146
I was planning on flying Aer Lingus for my trip in early Sept 2006. I'd been tracking prices and hoped to get it around $500. Good luck there! I don't think prices will be coming down any time soon. I ended up booking through US Airways (from O'Hare) and have to stop in Philly each way, but my ticket was under $400, so I'm not complaining too loudly. I'm doing O'Hare-Shannon, Dublin-O'Hare. It would have been nice to fly Aer Lingus but for a third of the price I can handle a couple of hours in Philadelpia. I've never flown either, so I guess I won't know what I'm missing. My advice--try another airline.
chemgirl is offline  
May 2nd, 2006, 11:40 AM
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 12
Aer Lingus will be introducing fuel surcharges on its long haul flights to and from the United States and the Middle East because of rising international oil prices, as announced last week. The extra charge of EUR35 (USD$43) each way will apply to all tickets booked on the routes from May 15. It's hard to predict how long this will continue but it may last through the Summer -- you might want to book your flights before 5/15. (I've found that booking through got me the best deal in the past.)
jessiejac is offline  
May 2nd, 2006, 12:07 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,885
You didn't say what the fare was/is so it's hard to give you any advice, although it would still only be an educated guess at best.

You can fly American to Shannon and from Dublin, late SEP/early OCT for ~$550 all in.

Don't know if this is higher, same or lower than what you had with Aer Lingus, but the AA fare is available now.

BTW, I doubt very much that we will ever know as that seems to be your pattern. The 5 or so postings you made about this trip to Ireland never got any responses from you after others took time to post many suggestions. Sometimes it would be nice to find out if ANY of the suggestions were at least helpful??? so we could help more knowing what you actually want to do.
The ball is in your court now....

AAFrequentFlyer is offline  
May 5th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 19
Thank you all for your replies and especially for the information on the 5/15 surcharge. I'm guessing that I need to book now and hope that I'm getting the best possible deal! Thank you for all of your helpful comments.

In regards to not replying in a timely manner. Unfortunately, due to my work schedule, I don't have a lot of free time to check the boards, but while I may not reply quickly, I do read and take in the information provided! Thanks!
sdb421 is offline  
May 5th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 435
I'm going through the same thing with prices right now - except I'm leaving in a month!! Last week prices were around $1200 - this week some of them dropped to around $600 - no kidding!! Sometimes one-way flights can be cheaper, then use easyjet or ryanair to get to your ultimate destination...
AngelaS is offline  
May 5th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,229
I'm always willing to take this risk of waiting because I have found that 4 weeks out or so, prices usually tend to drop as they want to fill up those seats with those of us who fly by the seat of our pants. I've found tons of great prices using this technique.
julies is offline  
May 6th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 45
What about booking airfare on Aer Lingus as soon as the day becomes available? I am planning a trip next May and I was wondering if some seats are cheaper when you book early. Does anyone know?
stillriver is offline  
May 9th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 155
Just tonight I booked our tickets to Ireland from JFK. We're leaving from JFK and flying to Dublin on Aug. 25 and then flying out of Shannon and back to JFK on Sept. 4 (Labor Day). Our price: $543 r/t pp.
I thought about waiting to see if prices come down, but they've already edged up and I figure anything under $600 to Europe this summer isn't too bad...
Kelly1212 is offline  
May 10th, 2006, 02:36 AM
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,635
AerLingus just (9 May) came out with Summer Saver fares if you travel July & August. JFK-Dublin or Shannon for as little as $277 each way on a R/T. They sent me an e-mail because I'm on their mailing list. Check their Website
NEDSIRELAND is offline  
May 12th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 19
Good news...after the post about the surcharge beginning on May 15th, I finally booked the flights this week. I got a reasonable price (the prices did drop a bit) and I feel good about the decision! So, thank you for all of your help and good luck for those of you still waiting to book!
sdb421 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:51 AM.