Reload this Page >

Advise on Spain & Italy

Search

Advise on Spain & Italy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 1999, 04:33 PM
Maxine

Advise on Spain & Italy

Well 2 years in the planning, 6 months to go and still unsure.Confirmed 1 week in Marbella-what day trips can be done from here and would we want to rent a care or use the train/bus. 1 week in Mykonos. From here we are confused as we want to head back to London to see daughter. Do we take a bus tour Rome, Florence, Venice, Lucurne, Paris, London. Only draw back very limit time on tours at each stop. Could we do this on our own, with 2 days at each and would we rent a car or train. Any advise would be great and by the way this is our first trip out of New Zealand-scarey stuff. Maxine

Old Nov 26th, 1999, 05:31 PM
wes fowler

Maxine, <BR>Fodor's respondents may become a little confused too. One week in Marbella, one week in Mykonos, but how much time do you plan for the part of Europe in between? Twelve days? What's the total time frame of your venture? Are you flying with an open-jaw air arrangement, that, is fly into one city and out of another? Need some more details, I think, before we can be truly helpful.

Old Nov 27th, 1999, 01:00 PM
maxine

<BR>Wes, thanks for your speedy response. After a week in Marbella, 20/5/2000 - 27/5/2000 and a week in Mykonos, 28/5/2000 - 4/6/2000 (both in Timeshares)we will have 3 weeks of our holiday remaining. This will be spent in Europe and England. Therefore a trip of 9 to 10 days travelling from Mykonos, via Athens to London.

Old Nov 27th, 1999, 02:23 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Maxine, I believe you're spreading yourself too thin. That's a mighty loooooong distance between your two weeks, and sooooooo much to see in between. We have timeshares too tho seldom trade ('cause we love our place!) but I wouldn't do what you're doing. Unless you're already locked in, can you change one or the other to be closer to each other, or more convenient to the other places you want to see?? If these are actual weeks that you own at those destinations, can you trade for something else?? It's kinda hard to advise you at this point. Even with an extra three weeks, the other places you mention wanting to see are also far apart with so much to see and do in between too. <BR>By the way, I was in your beautiful country last month - was very impressed. <BR>

Old Nov 28th, 1999, 06:14 AM
Saville

Hola Maxine <BR> <BR>Como esta usted? " Marbella It's a way of life " <BR> <BR>I loved the Costa Da Sol and I know that you are going to also. I strongly advise you to hire a car, and for seven days you will get a good rate. Marbella is not near to the train line. From Marbella you can take the car to Rhonda. It is a scenic drive from Marbella about 50 kms or 40 miles. The road is winding and beautiful and it should take you about one and a half hours. And please do yourself a favour get there early. That way you will not get there around siesta time. <BR> <BR>By the way one week is ample. a year would be ideal though. <BR> <BR>Then for a nice day trip you can go to Gibraltar. Take a tour on this one. You will meet people this way and the guide will be able to tell you some interesting facts along the way. You will find info on the tours at your reception. <BR> <BR>That takes care of two days. Check if there is a fiesta. Let me tell you something Maxine. Everything else I have dreamt up, (just kidding), but let me tell you this: If there is a fiesta you have got to get your fat butt there. I will repeat that, this time a little more slowly ... <BR> <BR>Marbella beaches are a must. Puerto Banus is a nice place and Marbella itself is the place to be. It really is an international destination for all the yachting types. The stores are amazing. <BR> <BR>On Sunday there is a bullfight in all the major centres. It is around 3pm I think. I never liked the idea, but I am ashamed to admit I enjoyed it. The tickets are varying prices, but the one in the sun which was more expensive than the one in the shade was fine. Sit in front on the border and the shade will come quickly. Anyway if you want any other information please feel free to contact me. <BR> <BR>By the way I am glad that we whipped you guys at Rughby in the World Cup. <BR> <BR>Oh and please learn a few words. If you mail me I will give you the key words that in retrospect I would have found useful. <BR> <BR>Hire a car. Fiesta. Rhonda. Bullfight. Puerto Banus. Marbella. Gibraltar. <BR> <BR>Hasta Liego <BR>Saville

Old Nov 28th, 1999, 11:28 AM
Maira

Maxine---- I second the suggestion to rent a car while in Marbella. One of the best things about that region is the opportunity it provides for the visitor to get on the road and discover beautiful spots. I am not as enthusiastic as Saville about Marbella. It is a high-priced resort area, popular specially during the summer. Not much other than that. From Marbella you could day-trip to Granada (The Alhambra, the Cathedral), Gibraltar (great sight from the road!), Mijas (beautiful, quaint white town), and Ronda (breathtaking; beware of the windy road to/from). On one of our trips to that area, my husband & I found a site called The Roman Ruins of Baelo Claudio. It was near Tarifa and it was the very well preserved ruins of a coastal roman town, temples and everything. I was amazed this place was in none of the guide books we had read/used. Out of the way, the road leading to the site was in very good conditions, but somewhat remote. There was a tour guide, although she was there more for visiting schools on day trips. Let me now if you need more details. <BR> <BR>I would never recommend a tour of six amazing cities with just two days each. After the third, they all blend in and that is not fair for neither you or the city. From Athens fly into London to visit your daughter, spend some time, then train to Paris (Eurostar), spend some time not only in Paris, but tour the Loire Valley. Italy deserves a trip of its own. After spending time in Spain and Greece (which I am assuming are cast in stone), you need the contrast that London and France offer. <BR> <BR>Have the best time!!!