Reload this Page >

Advice...websites needed, general apt info

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I just want to first emphatically say I am NOT advertising a business or apt! Some of you know I have been here a few years and would never distrupt the forum with this.

I need advice for my friends in London who bought an apt in sunnier climates. They want to stay in it a few weeks a year and post it on the web for holiday rentals. They are looking for sites to post/advertise as they are targeting 2 types of people and also I would need advice of where would be best to post it etc. Its a larger place and they want to appeal to upmarket as well as gay travellers as the area would be mixed gay/straight. They are a well to do gay couple and want to appeal to likewise people.

How do you get the word to the right market etc? I told them I would ask around for as I know a few of you have places which are not advertised on the board but you run independently. The have an agent to deal with certain things but they want to attract the market themselves.

Any genuine ideas would be helpful. Thanks guys!

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ttt!
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TTT
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 07:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't answer your question but I think it might depend on several issues
>where the property is located
>whether they want to manage rentals themselves or have someone else do the work
>whether they are looking for Americans or Europeans.

VRBO.com (vacation rental by owner) is a widely known website where you deal directly with owners. They seem to have listings at many prices & all over, but requires the owners do all the work themselves. Renters believe they're getting a better deal because of this.

I suggest you do a search here for rentals in the location of the property (ie. rentals in Barcelona) & see what comes up. The real estate agent who sold them the property should have some suggestions too.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mclaurie,

Thanks you are a star. The place is Spain and I think there is a mgt company to help with cleaning etc but they want to do some of the rentals themselves. They don't care if its Europeans or Americans renting.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 08:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slowtravel.com is a good place to look for more advice. I also think you should repost your question here with Spain in the heading. BTW, Maribel is the resident expert here on Spain. Here are a few previous threads I found (by typing vacation rentals in spain in the text search box above) that mention websites that list rentals in Spain.

Real Estate rentals in Spain
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34431221

Big Spanish Villa
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...=2&tid=1269301

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 08:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A good website that provides the sofware for the owners to advertise and manage the rentals themselves is www.holiday-rentals.com
They charge a yearly fee for the advertising.