Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris-Giverny-Bayeux-MSM-Tours - what do you think of my itinerary? Any suggestions welcome!

Search

Paris-Giverny-Bayeux-MSM-Tours - what do you think of my itinerary? Any suggestions welcome!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Day one - from Paris to Port en Bessin via Giverny, Les Andeylus, and possibly Rouen(?)and to Bayeux for dinner/evening stroll
Day two - Caen museum in morning, Juno Beach and Canadian Cemetary in the afternoon
Day three - to MSM early morning, possibly to Cancale/St Malo in afternoon or evening(?)
Day four - to Tours via Angers for wineries (any suggestions) then possible tour of one chateau in the afternoon
Day five - tours of Aziz de Rideau, Amboise, and Amboise market (Sunday)
Day six - return to Paris via Chartres for Malcolm Miller's tour.
Booked into quads at Mercure Hotels for reasonable family rates.
Any suggestions or feedback much appreciated. Thanks very much.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 05:08 PM

Day one is impossible if you are getting off an overseas flight and have to deal with traffic in Paris.You are not giving any of those cities a decent look- not to mention that the itinerary is a bit unrealistic.)I feel in looking at your trip that it is somewhat like the old movie"If this is Tuesday,it must be Belgium".)Give us more information as to :how many in the group and ages;coming from overseas or from somewhere else,etc. We would all be happy to help you fine tune it but would need some more information?
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 05:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, every day looks close to impossible...
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 05:46 PM

WAY too much in too short a time, especially if this is in high season. I'd do either the Loire Valley or Normandy, but not both.

Day One is a horror. On Day Two are you not even going to go into Bayeux to see the tapestry, cathedral, etc? On Day Three, where are you staying? (still in/near Bayeux/Caen? If so, pretty unrealistic - if not, you've got yourself changing hotels every night - not fun). Why Tours? It's at the other end of the Loire valley from Angers and is just a big trafficky city. Angers alone could keep you occupied for a few days. And if it's Amboise you want to see, why not stay there?

I think it's back to the drawing board....
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 11:13 PM

I have to agree with the other posters--there's just too much here. We just did a driving tour of France and the travel times took much longer than expected, also there were unexpected stops due to to needing gas, bathroom breaks, getting lost, etc. There were only 2 of us, and we are young! And we were only stopping in one town per day!

The big problem is that with each town taking anywhere from 2-4 hours to travel to, if you left the previous day's sights at nine am, you wouldn't get to the next place til at least noon or 1 pm, then you have a leisurely French 2 hour lunch, and then you only have time to visit one museum/sight before everything starts to close, so then you have to visit places the next morning, so you don't get in the car til noon, so you don't arrive at the next place til 4 or 5, etc. It's much more rushed than you realize when intially planning.

Also, and obviously this is not the same for everyone, but I would not be willing to let my jet-lagged self drive from Paris into anywhere on the first day. I would just spend a day in Paris first.

Of course, the 2 hour French lunches are purely optional, but its way better than stuffing your face with fast food in the car, which we had to do several times to make up time. The "having a picnic in a beautiful French field " fantasy never materialized due to my unrealistic expectations (which I thought were very realistic, before I left!)
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 04:31 AM

Yes, all impossible. I thought you were doing fine up to Rouen (for the night). We did that and that was ALL we could do. Obviously you are Canadian since you are only seeing the British/Canadian portion of D-Day beaches.
And I wonder how serious this itinerary is.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 04:40 AM

Agree that it is impossible and sounds exhausting. You won't have a minute to sit in a cafe and watch the world go by - one of my favorite things to do in France. We toured Normandy for four days and spent a week in Paris and were so sorry we didn't spend more time in Normandy. Our time didn't include MSM or Rouen and still we were pressed for time. And day 1 - it will never happen! Think about what you want to see most and eliminate either the Normandy or Loire portion of the trip. You'll love it and go back the first chance you have to continue with the itinerary.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 05:30 AM

Days 1 & 3 look totally unlikely.

Keith
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I thought I was probably trying to do too much in too little time. Actually we will be in Paris for three weeks so thought we could also visit Normandy and Loire during the second week. "We" are my husband and myself and our two sons ages 13 and 15.
Does this itinerary sound any better or more reasonable than the last?
Day one - To Port en Bessin from Paris. Save Giverny for a day trip another day? Tour Bayeux cathedral, tapastry. Staying in Port en Bessin for two nights.
Day two - To Caen Museum in morning then Juno Beach in afternoon. Second night in Port en Bessin.
Day three - Depart Port en Bessin early morning to drive to MSM. Leave MSM early afternoon due to crowds. Drive to Tours and stay three nights.
Day four - Chateau tours.
Day five - Tour Amboise including DaVinci home, chateau and market.
Day six - return to Paris via Chartres arriving Paris late.
Day seven - sleep all day!
Any better?

Old Jul 17th, 2003, 09:03 PM

We're doing something similar to your day 3 on our next trip, except over a span of 3 days. After MSM, I suggest you spend a nite in that area [Cancale?] before heading south.

What you need to do is to get decent maps of where you'll be, then go to mappy or via michelin for driving directions and route planning. For autoroutes, the time estimates can be pretty accurate. For other roads, I always assume the trip will take longer and usually it does. Besides road and traffic conditions, you have stops along the way, negotiating through towns, finding the points of interest or hotel, etc.

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 04:26 AM

Depending on the time of year, you should definitely try to visit Giverny on a day trip from Paris. Enjoy your trip - it sounds wonderful.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:49 AM

Looks much improved to me - though I personally wouldn't stay in Tours when there are so many other smaller, nicer towns. But it's a lot better than what you started with. Enjoy!
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 08:46 AM

I have said it before and I will say it again-Mont St. Michel is really a magical place at night when the tourists are gone. One of our more favorite evenings with our teenagers was strolling the ramparts of MSM at night after dinner and taking in the history/the channel,etc.Yes-during the day the tourist shops are in full force and you will be around alot of bus groups(they seem to come around 1000am and leave around3-4pm)but at night.....well,its really an experience!
I think that you should allow about 4 hours for the Caen museum and also let your family sit among the rocks on the various beaches and reflect.Even if you are Canadian-please take the time and go to the all of the major beaches and do the American Cemetary (late afternoon after the tour buses leave is
unbelievable).Our family really enjoyed the St. Malo area and wished that we had stayed a few days in that area.I agree with the others that sometimes(particularly in France and Italy) it is the "journey not the destination" that will make you have fond memories of the trip. Those little small towns offer an interesting side of life to those who stop and savor so don't "overprogram" everyday down to the hours-you will miss alot. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone for your feedback. This is our first trip to France and although I've done a fair amount of research, I find the best advice always comes from fellow travellers. We can cancel any of our hotel bookings up to noon of the same day in case we do meander off somewhere or want to stay longer in one town than planned. There are so many wonderful places to visit in France. We were hoping to see St. Malo as well but maybe we'll save it for a tour of Brittany next time. Staying in Tours works for us primarily because of the reasonable cost for the quad at the Mecure Tours Nord - 55 Euros with breakfast. I just hope it's not a dive! Thanks again for taking the time to help, Lily
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I think Ron, has the right direction for you.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 07:33 PM

Well, staying in Tours may save you money in one respect, but you'll have to fight traffick every day getting in and out of the city. That will cost you something, too. Staying in Amboise would eliminate that problem.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 06:46 AM

Besides traffic, there is the additional complication of negotiating through a city. Armed with good maps and routes, and with knowledge of how the signage works, driving in the countryside is pretty easy. Finding your way in cities and towns is another matter. Plus a large commercial hotel line the Mercure is the kind of place I'd stay if no other alternative were available. Give me the ambiance and charm of a chateau, small hotel or B&B, which is part of the reason for going in the first place.

Old Jul 19th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Any you can suggest in Amboise or area? I've looked into a few and found them to be much more costly than the Mecure in Tours and with the four of us going cost is definitely a factor. I am concerned about the traffic though and didn't realize it could be so bad. Any ideas or recommendations would be much appreciated.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 05:03 PM

OK, my 2 cents. Why not drive on to MSM after Juno beach? You can arrive late afternoon, get a hotel then see it at night. It is an amazing sight. Then get up early for the first tour of the abbey (if you're planning on that). You can be out of it by 1:00 if you eat lunch there or earlier if you don't. Arriving first thing (7:30/8:00) means seeing the town leading up to the abbey in a virtually traffic free way. I guarantee by the time the abbey tour is over the crowds will have swelled to the 50th power which means shoulder to shoulder. Walk down along the outside ramparts. Its prettier and less crowded. The Caen museum is a minimum of 3 hours ( and it is incredible!). I certainly understand wanting to see Juno and the cemetary, but I wouldn't bother with the museums there, especially after Caen. Juno won't take a great deal of time, 2 hours at the most probably less. Drive to MSM in the late afternoon to spend the night. The Mont is sooooo beautiful at night. There are a ton of hotels there. Then get up early the next day for the first tour of the abbey. If you're early enough you can walk up to the abbey virtually people free. Byt the time your tour is over though it will be shoulder to shoulder, so walk down via the outside ramparts. If you stop for lunch on the Mont, you can be done 1:30. You won't be rushed and unless you really enjoy crowds, that's about all the time you'll want.
The Hotel Bellevue in Amboise has quads at a reasonable rate. There is also a hotel right by the Amboise train station w/quads that is run by a very friendly family. Unfortunately I can't remember the name! Its listed in Rick Steves France book and is the only one listed right by the train station. Its a short walk to the center of town but a pleasant place. The Bellevue is right in the center. Tours may seem less expensive but its not a particularly interesting town for tourism and will be a drag to commute to and from.
I'm not familiar with Port en Bessin, but Bayeux is a great little town convenient to the Caen musuem and Normandy sights. You could drive from Paris, enter the Caen museum around 3:00 then after drive onto Bayeux. The next morning go to Juno and the cemetary and see the tapestry back in Bayeux after lunch. The cathedral will be easy to tour after the tapestry and won't take more then 30 to 40 minutes. Once you've parked in Bayeaux the tapestry and cathedral are within walking distance of each other.
Finally, I would go with your gut on St. Malo and save it for another trip.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 05:07 PM

OK, my 2 cents.

The Hotel Bellevue in Amboise has quads at a reasonable rate. There is also a hotel right by the Amboise train station w/quads that is run by a very friendly family. Unfortunately I can't remember the name! Its listed in Rick Steves France book and is the only one listed right by the train station. Its a short walk to the center of town but a pleasant place. The Bellevue is right in the center. Tours may seem less expensive but its not a particularly interesting town for tourism and will be a drag to commute to and from.
I'm not familiar with Port en Bessin, but Bayeux is a great little town convenient to the Caen musuem and Normandy sights. You could drive from Paris, enter the Caen museum around 3:00 then after drive onto Bayeux. The next morning go to Juno and the cemetary and see the tapestry back in Bayeux after lunch. The cathedral will be easy to tour after the tapestry and won't take more then 30 to 40 minutes. Once you've parked in Bayeaux the tapestry and cathedral are within walking distance of each other.
Drive to MSM after Bayeux in the late afternoon and stay at one of the hotels just down the causeway. The Mont is so beautiful at night, it shouldn't be missed. Get up nice and early to tour the abbey and see the little town w/out all the people. By the time that first abbey tour is over the whole mont is shoulder to shoulder. Walk down via the outside ramparts. You will have plenty of time to experience MSM and can still be done by 1:30 if you eat there noon if you don't.
Finally, I would go with your gut on St. Malo and save it for another trip.
Enjoy France!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -