Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice: Safety after dark train travelling eg Lucca to Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2010, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondered...

Middle aged married couple, basing ourselves in Florence apartment for one week mid May daytripping by train to a few Tuscan towns.

How safe is it travelling back to Florence by train after dark from Lucca or Bologna and then walking from Florence train station to apartment? Apartment is 5 min walk from station.

Thought it might be nice to try dinner in either/ both these places but it would mean a late night train ride back.

Experiences and opinions welcomed.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have used the Lucca-Florence train on several occassions, and have never felt threatened/worried on it. Florence SMN station can be a little intimidating - like any major railway station in a big city, but the area around the station is OK - certainly in comparison with e.g Rome Termini or Naples.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:15 AM

I live in Italy, I'm a woman, I don't look Italian, I often use the trains until midnight, traveling alone, carrying packages or luggage, I have walked all over Florence and in its train stations after 11pm, and I have never worried for five seconds for my safety. In fact, I live in Italy partly because I got so tired of not being able to go out safely and worry-free at night in urban and suburban USA.

There are always cabs in front of the train station if for any reason you feel uncomfortable.

As always in major train stations in major tourist cities, minding your wallet is a must. But pickpockets usually prefer jostling crowds and people distracted looking for train tracks and with too much luggage, not arrivals in the thinly populated late evening who obviously know where they are going and aren't dragging bags (except bags full of Bolognese treats!)

Have a great trip!
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:06 AM

If you use common sense, you should have no problems.

Avoid isolation...Choose a train compartment that has other people in it if possible, unless you have reserved seating. Don't over-indulge in the wine, so you can have your thoughts about you (duh!). Avoid poorly lit areas. Avoid behavior that would call attention to you as a target i.e. talking loudly, leaving your purse or back pack open or accessible. Don't be distracteded by street performers, beggars, etc.. Walk arm-in-arm in a relaxed manner with your purse protected, slightly forward and between you two--it's romantic too and can be done naturally. Just be aware of your surroundings, like in any larger city, and you won't have any problems at all.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:15 AM

Oh, I should have added I often walk home after drinking too much wine!

I'm not suggesting you be reckless, but if Florence were unsafe and tourists were frequently targeted there, you would hear about it.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Solo female traveler here... took train from Pisa to Florence around 8-9pm with no issues.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:23 PM

Yes, public transportation is far safer in Italy than in the US. And walking in Florence in the center is quite safe. Just be aware of your surroundings and careful with your purse, as you would at any time of day.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all of your thoughts- really helpful info (as usual)

Would be dubious about using late night trains here in Melbourne Australia, so it's interesting to hear what it's like in other countries.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:01 PM

WY safer than using the metro here in DC late at night. No worries.