Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice requested on Paris 4 star hotels and on city tours, please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Kavey

I'd like some advice on selecting a couple of good hotels to recommend to relatives visting Paris for the first time this December.<BR><BR>My uncle and aunt are from Florida and have travelled reasonably extensively. Much of the travel has been on business so they are a) used to a good standard of accommodation and b) have points on various awards programmes they could use.<BR><BR>I'd like to recommend a 4 star hotel in either the 1st or 7th though I am open to suggestions in other areas.<BR><BR>Using their points is not essential in any way.<BR><BR>I am willing to look at recommendations for classy 3 star hotels which may have superior rooms or suites which compare favourably to 4 star standard rooms.<BR><BR>My uncle has limited mobility and has expressed a desire to book onto tours rather than sightseeing independently. Any advice in this arena would also be very helpful.<BR><BR>This is the current list, having searched on this forum and others.<BR><BR>I'd like comments both good and bad on hotel rooms, locations, service as well as recommendations for alternatives if you have any to offer.<BR><BR>Thanks for your help.<BR><BR><BR>Relais Christine (I hear it's lovely but rooms are very tiny)<BR><BR>Prince de Galles (could use points)<BR><BR>Hotel Intercontinental (75001, could use points)<BR><BR>Aubusson<BR><BR>Le Regent<BR><BR>KK Cayre<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>Kavey

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 11:08 AM
ellen

My relatives raved about Cityrama's Paris orientation bus tour. Takes about two hours, and leaves from Place des Pyramides.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:26 PM
kavey

Thanks Ellen, I will look that one up.<BR><BR>Does anyone know of any longer tours (I will check out other tours offered by Cityrama) which might last a whole day or even 2 days?<BR><BR>Also any comments on hotels very welcome.<BR><BR>Thanks again<BR>Kavey

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Sherri Kardell

ttt

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Fred

Of those I would choose the Intercontinental Paris. Great hotel and location. For tours check with Paris Visions and Cityrama. Brochures will be at the hotel. They also may be interested in the hop-on/ hop-off bus tours which will take them right to all the sights, then they get back on and are taken to the next site. For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Sherri Kardell

Dear Kavey;<BR>not knowing your budget I will give you a few suggestions in the 7th 1) hotel le Touriville- long considered one of the best 4 star hotels in the 7th and recommended by:Rick Steves Frommers and Fodors( see hotel reviews Paris) 2) hotel Montalembet beautiful; but expensive log on to parisby.com to view both hotels and 3) hotel de l' Universite' near the Musee'd' Orsay fax# (01) 42 60 40 84 charming and moderately priced<BR>Good luck; if you decide on the 6th I have piles and piles of info.<BR>Sherri

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Christine

If your aunt and uncle want to stay in the 7th district, I believe the Hotel Bourgogne and Montana sounds pretty good. It's pricey but the rate includes buffet breakfast-a suite costs around 350 Euro/night.<BR><BR>The Hotel de l'Universite is a 3 star and it's furnished with antiques but not a real luxury type hotel. Their top floor terrace room also has a small additional room. It's around 240 Euro/night for that type of room and I believe there are only two terrace rooms that they have. They go fast also.<BR><BR>Your choice of the Hotel d'Aubusson is good, however, it is very expensive and there have been some mixed comments here on the board so you can research them.<BR><BR>The Intercontinental may be your best choice as you mention they can use their points and this is a very convenient location. I suppose you can use your Marriott points towards the Prince de Galles and it seems like a very nice hotel-convenient enough also.<BR><BR>I think Relais Christine is way overpriced and there have been a few mixed reviews here also.<BR><BR>The K&K Cayre is near St. Germain des Pres but if I had a choice I'd go with the other hotels instead.<BR><BR>Le Regent is okay but not the best based on the reviews.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Kiira

Fred, Melnick, Please, oh Pulsease! get lost! I've "persused" your silly guide. The "others have said" are SO totally ridiculous. Anyone knows small hotels in Paris have SUCH variety of rooms. I can't BELIEVE you expect ANYONE to send you a ten dollar bill. Nearly all of the information on your website is COMPETELY OUT OF DATE. And, it is obvious that you take the same trip over and over and over and over again.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:19 PM
StCirq

Kavey: Check out the ParisVision tours. I've no personal experience with them, except that a friend of mine who is a French tour guide and who is without a doubt one of the most knowledgable people I know with regard to the history of Paris (and the Loire and several other regions) works for them. If her caliber of guiding is any indication of the company's, I'd have to recommend them. She also does private tours - if you're interested in them, contact me.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Judy

Have you checked out the Regina Hotel in the 1st? We stayed there for my 50th birthday and it was wonderful!

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:31 AM
kavey

Thanks everyone for your comments...<BR><BR>The idea of 7th and 1st is not fixed, so any suggestions of 4 stars in other central arrondissements is welcome.<BR><BR>Thanks for the comments on my suggestions so far and for the additional ideas which I will look into.<BR><BR>Thanks also for the suggestions of tour companies.<BR><BR>I'll review what I have and come back with any further questions, and also to check if there are any alternative suggestions.<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Mary Anne Cook

Relais Bosquet in the 7th is very good. Just around the corner from Rue Cler Market. Eiffel Tower in view from some rooms. Very helpful staff.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:16 AM
Marianne

The 6th district would be very nice for your relatives to stay. These hotels are very nice:<BR><BR>Hotel de l'Abbaye<BR>Residence des Arts<BR>Millesime Hotel<BR>Relais St. Germain<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:42 AM
kavey

Thanks,<BR>Relais Bosquet was on an earlier list as were a number of oher 3 stars, since I normally choose that level of hotel for my own trips.<BR>With the knowledge I have of my relatives, and their experiences of American hotels and standards, compared to their knowledge of European ones, I feel they'd be happier in a 4 star in a room with reasonable proportions.<BR>(What I will do is once I have narrowed down the choice, offer to make the booking and ensure that room size is discussed and agreed as part of the reservation).<BR>I will definitely look up ALL the hotels suggested though, and check out the idea of a superior room at the 3 star hotel instead of standard at the 4 star.<BR><BR>Does anyone have any more comments on the hotels mentioned above?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:10 AM
xxx

The Relais St. Germain reportedly has very large standard double rooms much like jr. suites. And it's a 4 star hotel. If you check the tiny book entitled "Charming Small Hotel Guides in Paris" by Fiona Duncan & Leonie Glass, it has a writeup in it.<BR><BR>As far as I know, the hotel doesn't have a website so you need to call directly.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Red

D'Aubusson - rooms are good size and so is the bathroom. No-smoking floor. Elevators. Helpful staff. Cafes nearby. Older crowd. Good location.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Jim P

In the 1st arr. I like the Lotti, next door to the Inter-Continental,--large rooms on the street side and deals often available through travel agents. And Cambon, 5 r. Cambon, privately owned, quiet, with great service and location. In this area you are just a few blocks from the major tour bus location on r. de Rivoli.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 08:54 PM
Judy

Hi....the Regina Hotel is right next to the Cityrama office. You can check the tour options at cityrama.com or go to grayline.com. Cityrama and Grayline are actually the same. Last trip to Paris, I purchased tours on-line at the Grayline web-site.<BR><BR>Good luck!

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Surlok

Of the hotels mentioned above, I can reccommend the Aubusson. Good and reasonably sized standard rooms, modern fixtures and elevator, lovely and handy location, very knowledgeable and helpful English speaking staff.<BR><BR>Although not having stayed there, I have a good friend who is an Italian executive, and a very picky and exigent guest. He loves the Prince de Galles. However, as he's not a tourist, and I'm not really sure about the hotel's location, I don't really know if it would be the ideal location for your relatives.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 03:53 AM
Ian

I can add another possible in the 5th. Relais Saint-Jacques. Newly renovated, marble baths, great locale (near Jardin Luxembourg, RER etc), slightly bigger than average Paris rooms, quiet safe area, English-speaking staff (especially Joseph) & breakfast room. We paid 193 euro for deluxe + 11 euro for brkfst. Ask for rm 602 - great rooftop view with Pantheon in the distance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -