Advice Regarding iPad in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering buying an iPad before my trip to Paris next week. I am undecided whether to buy a WiFi version or a Cellular version. Our hotel room offers free WiFi. Does Paris have enough hot spots so that we will not have to buy the cellular version or will the cellular version be much more convenient to use? Thanks for any opinions you may have.
Old May 13th, 2013, 09:58 AM

Are you going to carry the ipad around all day?
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:03 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I always take my WiFi dependent iPad to Europe with me and use it in the hotel room or lobby. I would not want to carry it around all day.Use your smartphone during the day if you must.
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:09 AM

The iPad mini is a lot easier to carry around then the full size iPad, but the iPhone is much easier to use.
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:10 AM

Our kids bought us a wifi iPad for Xmas... They all live in the US...we live in Europe. They bought it so we can ichat, etc. We love it... And have found the wifi coverage in all large European cities to be fine (hotels, cafes, and our apartment, of course).

We are considering getting another one... And have considered 4g. Between the device cost and the data plan, we will likely stick with wifi and just make it work.
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:11 AM

I take my ipad with me almost everywhere I travel, but I use it only in the hotel. An ipad is just not a substitute for a smart phone that you might want to use on the fly to make a reservation or check a web site while out for the day.
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:17 AM

I'm not sure this will be helpful to you as I have a new mini ipad my DH bought me about a month ago. I love it! I sit every night and play with it and learn something new. If you only have a week before u leave for Paris, will this give u enough time to familiarize yourself w/ it? Maybe u are more techie saavy than me. I do love to learn new things so think this is helpful to me in learning.

I bought the WIFI version as I felt this would serve my needs. I talked to my daughter and she said if I got the cellular version I would have to pay monthly data fees and I didn't think I would use this as I have a smart phone so why pay double when u travel. I go to my AT&T store b4 we leave on a trip and add international text messaging. I can send 50 texts for a reasonable fee so this works for me. I usually only text when we are on land (we are cruisers).

Guess it's up to you with how u want to use the ipad. I don't think you would have any problems finding WiFi hot spots in Paris. There are lots of internet cafes everywhere. Most everyone we cruise with has a laptop or ipad with them and they find places ashore to check emails, send messages, etc.

Just up to you I guess. Good luck! Have a great trip. We loved Paris even though we were only there for a day. We hired a private tour guide that gave a a wonderful tour of all the best spots in Paris. Even had time to go to top of Eiffel Tower. Wonderful views!
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:20 AM

P.S. I really love the mini ipad I bought. It's the perfect size for carrying in my handbag when we travel and I find it easier to us because the size is smaller. I compared both of them in the store and decided the mini would work better for me. To each his own, however.
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your responses. I am considering the mini iPad and was just not sure if the cellular plan was necessary. I will probably carry it around in my purse as we will not have a smart phone with us.
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:55 AM

If you plan to carry it around all day, the iPad mini is the best choice over the regular size. The one with cellular data is not only more expensive at time of purchase but the monthly costs add up quickly as well. I'd stick with wifi and make do, that's what I did in London a month ago.
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:59 AM

I would probably buy the cellular version, if thecost of the model isn't too much for you.

you do not have to buy a contract, so you don't have to pay a regular monthly fee for the cellular connection like you would with a smartphone. You are free to turn it on only when you need it, a month at a time.

I believe you only get the GPS in the version with cellular (this was true for full size iPad anyways). And you may find that useful if you want to use various map apps.

iPads are unlocked, so when you are abroad, you can buy a micro sim, and a small data plan if you want to use it when you are out and about. You can use it with your US carrier, but the data plan will probably be more expensive. If you do want to use it in France, you may need to research which is more economical.
Old May 13th, 2013, 03:11 PM

If you are based in the US, I would recommend getting the cellular version, but not specifically for use in Europe but for use in the US. Let me explain:

As others have said, you do not need to pay for cellular service each month-- you can activate it on a month by month basis ( $15/ month for AT&T) as needed. In the US, I purchase a month if travelling domestically so that I can have cellular access in airports and in US hotels, many of which charge exorbitant daily rates for Internet access. Also, before hurricane Sandy, anticipating power outages and therefore loss of wifi at home, I purchased a month of cellular data and it was a lifesaver-- our only access to the outside world when we lost power and cable service for 9 days.

If you can handle the up charge for the cellular version, go for it.
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your comments. Does anyone know how "wired" Paris is--Parks, Starbucks, etc--will there be much wifi access?
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:08 AM

I dont recall parks being wifi enabled but most hotels are, and places like Starbucks are more and more. We usually find a place throughout the day to check our iphone emails...but dont expect to find somewhere whenever you want to use it easily. More and more cafes and restaurants are enabled though.
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:32 AM

McDonalds in France usually has wifi too..
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:38 AM

www.Paris.fr has a map of wifi hotspots in Paris, basically every public building and park should have it, though stuff no doubt happens there as it does here.
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:51 AM

Cell service for the iPad is only $15 a month? For some reason, i thought it was $30. Does the $15 charge cover roaming cell service (France)?
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:14 AM

I pay $30/month for unlimited data on our original iPad. For us, it's worth it because we couldn't use the iPad otherwise at our mountain home. And, as someone else said, using 3G saves us from the ridiculous daily fee for wi-fi at some hotels.
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:54 AM

that $15/month is just for the US and its for 250MB of data. You can up to 2GB for $25. I believe you can add an iPad to an existing AT&T contract (if you have cellphones already) for just $10/month.

international data plans start at $30 for 120MB.
Old May 14th, 2013, 11:38 AM

I have the 4G full-sized iPad, and I enjoy the option of having cell service. And since there is no contract, you can cancel the agreement ( AT&T- $15 a month) at any time. I do not have navigation in my car, so I often use my iPad for this purpose when I need directions going somewhere. Now the software gives verbal turn-by-turn directions too. I love the full-sized iPad for movies on the plane, but the mini is enticing, especially for ease of use to carry around on travels.

I bought a SIM card for my iPad while in Europe. In my case I was in Italy, and the device was fairly new, but it should be easy to pick up a SIM card in most European cities. Very easy to exchange US one for European. Not expensive.

There were many places in Paris where you could use your device out and about. With the full-sized version, I used mine just in our apartment. The smaller one is much easier to use when out and about. Metro apps were very helpful too.

I agree that if you can afford the cellular version, it's nice to have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -