Advice re. trip plan to Northern Italy in May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using this forum for years and found it incredibly useful. Thanks everyone who makes the time to share and help.

This time I am planning a trip to Italy, arrival in Milano (MXP) on the morning of May 17, departure from MXP on May 25, at 11:30 am.

After our arrival we will spend 1 day/night in Milano where I reserved a room (at the AARP rate of 72EUR) at Best Western Hotel City (3 stars).

I reserved an automatic car for 1 week from AutoEurope starting on May 18th (about $100/day all inclusive), pick up at Statione Centrale, drop-off at MXP.

We will have 7 more days. I would like to use the car to see a combination of history in smaller places and nature that would be more difficult to see without a car.

We have been in Rome (for 3 months), Florence, Venice, Naples, Capri.

There is still so much to see that promises to be beautiful and interesting that I have a hard time making decisions re. itinerary. The options include the lakes, Aosta, the Riviera, CT, Lucca, Modena, Parma, Pavia, etc.

I do not want to be a lot on the road and turn this trip into a race. I also would like to avoid sleeping in a different place every night. I would like to stay away from crowds and major cities and I am trying to stick to a budget of 100 EUR/night for hotels. We love scenic but are not hikers.

If we include CT we would probably buy a 1 day ferry/train/bus ticket and park the car as as I read that driving & parking there is not easy.

I would appreciate your suggestions for an itinerary for our 7 days with recommendations if possible for places to stay (and hotels that fit our budget) and to branch out from.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 09:02 AM
ira

Hi S,

Look up Tuscany and Chianti in the "search this forum" box.

You could base somewhere near Siena and take motor trips.

Old Mar 20th, 2005, 01:10 PM

I would not try to drive out of Milan--your choice ! You only have week--here is what I would do:
Arrive Milan--get car--to Lago Como-3
Hotel Bellavista[ Menaggio]
Drive to Levanto--2 nites
Villa Margherita
Drive to Lago Orta--last 2 nites
Hotel Orta[www.orta.net]
Drive to MXP--drop car--depart

Have fun !
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the suggested itinerary, sounds very sensible. I found the web site for Hotel Orta but could not find its locations on the lake. About how much time would I need to estimate (being conservative) for the trip from this hotel to MXP allowing for rush hour traffic?
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 06:30 PM

It has the best location on the lake--the dining room hangs over the lake. We have stayed there 3 times. The drive to MXP will take an hour, and allow time for car return. Good luck !
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Bob, since you seem to know EVERYTHING about Italy, one more follow-up:

What's the average daytime and night time temperature in Levanto and Lago Orta at the end of May? Also does one need mosquito spray on the lake?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and replies.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 07:15 PM

Oh Suzanna, don't you cry for this !
Expect these temps: Orta 69-56--Levanto 70-58--forget the spray but do take a sweater on the water.

Good luck !