Reload this Page >

Advice on Tuscany?

Search

Advice on Tuscany?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 1998, 12:45 PM
Stacy

Advice on Tuscany?

Hello everyone! My husband and I are planning a 10 day trip to Italy, starting the last week in September. We plan to fly into Rome (spend a day or two) and then continue on to Tuscany and Florence. <BR>I have so many questions: <BR>1. How long is the trip from Rome to Florence, via car, via train? Which is better? <BR>2. My husband wants to spend some time "relaxing." What town would be the best to spend a few days in (without feeling the obligation to see so many sights)? <BR>3. I noticed that Fodor's does not list any towns along the coast in Tuscany. Is there anything to see there? Any place to stay? <BR>4. What is the climate like in late September? <BR>5. We plan on making reservations in Rome and Florence and just winging everything in between. Any recommendations on romantic hotels or B&Bs? <BR>Thanks in advance, for your advice! <BR>-Stacy

Old Aug 25th, 1998, 05:04 PM
Carol

Dear Stacy: <BR>A trip meandering through Tuscany sounds luscious...if you land in Rome and then go to Florence, you'd be better off taking a train between the two cities and picking up a car only when leaving Florence. Italian cities were not designed for cars. Parking and driving are great strains on people eager to relax...! <BR>If you wanted, you could follow several different kinds of routes through Tuscany; i.e., the Chianti wine route, the Piero della Francesca (well, that's mostly Umbria). Take a look at the green Michelin for Italy. The authors do a nice job laying out proposed routes with historical data on the various regions. <BR>Buon viaggio! Carol L

Old Aug 25th, 1998, 07:06 PM
graziella

Hello...I envy you, Tuscany absolutely fantastic, please read a book called A Place under the Tuscan Sun, it is fun to read and will answer many of your questions. <BR>Cortona is a lovely place as it happens the author of the book, an American professor from California, she leaves nearby. <BR>When we went to Cortona we didnt know that the book existed ....but it will be more fun to read it before. Even if you do not want to read it, <BR>Cortona is beautiful, we stayed at the Hotel St, Michel , ate in its next door restaurant and others all very good, and one day had lunch at Le falconiere a beautiful rrest. in the country side. Dont miss Le Celle , and walk around the city. It is for me an enchanting place where you can feel the Italian way of life, the Italian knowledge to enjoy life. Please if you go and read the book and happened to like send me an e mail with what you discovered so I can profit from your experience.We are going next year to Cortona and its enchanting neighbors....a lot of charming cities all within a few miles. Bon voyage. <BR>

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 02:56 AM
francesca

We stayed in 2 small towns which were memorable for great wine, beautiful scenery and low stress: Montipulciano and Montalcino. The llittle hotel Terrazza in Montipulciano was very nice. San Gimigniano is also a lovely town. These are all good places to go at a slow pace without the stress to "see it all". <BR>

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 07:07 AM
mary

Hi, <BR>I just got back from a two week trip to Italy. It was gorgeous and very hot. You can expect somewhat warm temperatures up until October. Train is your best bet. Tuscany is gorgeous. Sam Gimignano is a beautiful medieval town and is a good day trip from Florence. Try their local Vernaccia wine. Siena is also a lovely day trip. Try the Amalfi Coast or the Italian Riviera instead of the Tuscan coast if you can. In Florence don't forget to climb the Duomo for a spectacular view of the city and don't miss out on their delicious gelato.(ice cream). If you're interested in art the David and the Galleria Academia is worth the price of admission. Rome is wow! Enjoy!

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 09:57 AM
Anna

Hi, Stacy, <BR>here some answers to your questions. <BR>1. How long is the trip from Rome to Florence, via car, via train? Which is better? <BR>Definitley, go by train, do not even think of driving in Florence...and parking! Make sure you reserve an Eurostar train; it will take 2 hours. <BR> <BR>2. My husband wants to spend some time "relaxing." What town would be the best to spend a few days in (without feeling the obligation to see so many sights)? <BR>All the places suggested before are fine. I would consider sleeping in Siena and go by car to Montalcino and Montepulciano. South of Siena there is an area known as LE CRETE, if you like shooting pictures, it is a great place to do it... <BR> <BR>3. I noticed that Fodor's does not list any towns along the coast in Tuscany. Is there anything to see there? Any place to stay? <BR>Good choice to visit some of the least known Tuscany! In the south there is Grosseto, little town in a special region of Tuscany, La MAREMMA, there you can find a national park, just on the sea and you can either sleep in some pensione or Agriturismo (Countryside B&B) off the park or in the countrymen houses in the park (for as little as 15 $ per person). You can spend a night in the delicious Talamone (spectacular view) and rent a car and visit the Maremma, with little villages such as Pitigliano (don't miss and don't miss the maremma's special cousine). If you have time, tour, by car, the Monte Argentario peninsula....terrific views, wonderful houses, great food.... <BR>More at the North along the coast, you can find Punta Ala (where most rich Italians have their holiday houses) and Viareggio/Forte dei Marmi (vacation places, belle epoque buildings). Another nice little town to visit is Livorno, which is an ancient harbour. <BR> <BR>4. What is the climate like in late September? <BR>You can be lucky and have a wonderful weather, with the golden light of that period of the yar. <BR>Buon divertimento! <BR>Anna <BR>

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 10:43 AM
Danielle

<BR>Two years ago my husband and I and another couple, friends of ours, rented a car and drove through Italy for 16 days. It was the most amazing experience of my life. Driving was surprisingly easy because we had excellent maps and the roads signs were pretty clear, once you get used to them. In our case it helped to be with another couple since my friend and I like to look out the window and see the countyside. While our husbands handled the navigating driving. If one of you can navigate while the other drives and you are not afraid of killing each other in the car...I recommend driving - you'll see so much more of the incredible countryside and hidden towns. Two places I highly recommend both as places to stay and eat are La Badia, a converted Monestary, in Orvieto and La Cisterna in San Gimigiano. Orvieto(Umbria) was the best place for pottery and San Gimigiano (Tuscany) was a great medievil town (don't miss the museum in town -- the torture museum, it's a blast). I also highly recommend the Hotel Hermitage in Florence (but book now- they get filled). It's in a really nice townhouse right next to the Ponte Vecchio with incredible views from it's roof terrace. As far as purely relaxing places, there are many in the hillsides of Tuscany. Look in the Karen Brown guides, I've found them to be very reliable and she has a website(www.karenbrown.com). Another good place is Positano located in the Italian Riviera. It's nothing like the French Riviera, it's very laid back, extremely beautiful and relaxing. <BR>Have a great time. Ciao!

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 10:49 AM
Danielle

<BR>Opps! I made a little mistake. The town I was referring to in the Italian Riviera is Portofino not Positano.

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 12:17 PM
Evan

If you really want to have the freedom to explore Tuscany the only way to go is to rent a car. There are excellent maps so you won'y get lost. <BR> <BR>I would agree that you don't want to have the car in Rome or Florence so pick-up the car as you're leaving Rome and drop it off as soon as you get to Florence. <BR> <BR>Have a great time, it's a beautiful country. <BR>

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 12:50 PM
Anne Beer

Five years ago, we stayed at the most wonderful country hotel about 25 minutes outside of Florence. Salvadonica (sp?) is the name--it's run by two young Italian sisters and was highly recommended by Karen Brown. Gorgeous setting surrounded by olive trees! Even a pool looking over the valley! <BR>

Old Aug 27th, 1998, 12:23 PM
kam

Some very good advice here! Absolutely do not want a car in Rome or to drive into Florence. Rent one in Florence to explore the rest of the area. I would also highly recommend Montepulciano and San Gimignano (that only because you're going off season, in summer it's too crowded). I don't think I would go to the coast of Tuscany in September--Viarreggio and Forte are very nice and very "Riviera-like" but the beautiful people will have left. Also consider Greve, Radda, Castellina all in the Chianti area along the wine route and Lucca, a beautiful walled walking city about an hour from Florence. You can spend several days here and your husband will get to relax and enjoy.September should be ideal weather, still warm with rains beginning toward the end of the month. Have fun--it's our favorite place in Europe. <BR>

Old Aug 28th, 1998, 12:56 PM
Steve the Guide

My personal advices: <BR>1)Best thing is to rent a car and drive from Rome to Florence visiting Tuscany. About 300/400 Km. <BR>2)Stop some days relaxing near Pienza at "La Saracina" Country-Hotels(see:www.emmeti.it/Saracina tel.+0578 748022).Don't forget to visit,near there, Bagno Vignoni. <BR>3)Along Tuscany's coast very nice place is the Island of "Giglio", one hour by boat from Porto Santo Stefano (Argentario area-south Tuscany). <BR>4)Good, very good climate in September. <BR>5)Many nice hotels in Florence.Downtown:Hotel Morandi alla Crocetta, Hotel Monna Lisa. <BR>Ten minutes far from the citycentre:Hotel Villa Natalia (www.firenzw.net/villa.natalia/descri.html). Have a nice time!! <BR>

Old Aug 29th, 1998, 09:53 AM
Martha

Stacy-- We skipped towns entirely in Tuscany (except for day time sightseeing) and stayed in a vineyard and winery which was in the Italian "Agroturismo" program. The Italian tourist bureau has information on these accommodations. If you're looking for a place to relax, this was definitely it.