Reload this Page >

advice on these Rome hotels:

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 10:20 PM
sana

I am considering these hotels for our June trip to Rome: Rezidenza Zanardelli, Mozart, Portughesi, Marcus, Rinascimento, Della Torre Arghentina, ?Caravaggio?.Any feedback on these hotels would be appreciated.And, yes, I have tried to do a search on these hotels. Basicly, we are looking for a centrally located hotel with a lot of character, we would prefer something that looks like a motel in US. The room has to have that european flare. Unfortunately, price is a consideration, but any shared experience or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 10:22 PM
sana

Sorry, I meant to say something that doesn't look like an american motel!

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 10:27 PM
jeanna

All of these hotels look lovely on the web, but I wonder how realistic those pictures on websites are?

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 10:43 PM
Surlok

Sana, <BR> <BR>The Mozart is OK, but do not expect its rooms to be as beautiful as they look on the pictures. The location is very handy to the Spanish Steps and Piazza del Popolo. The root top terrace is a great bonus, though, with a beautiful view of Rome roofs. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 11:27 PM
sana

Thanks, Surlok, I have just looked at their web site and thought it looked great. I am glad I got info from someone who experienced the real thing. Are the rooms much plainer? Their web site looks charming. <BR>Thanks a lot!

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 05:52 AM
Kathy

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Italy and spent 4 nights in Rome at the Portoghesi. It was very clean and most importantly, very quiet. It is located on a small street next to a very unusual structure called the Monkey Tower. It always served as our landmark to find our way back to the hotel. We could and did walk to every major attraction- Vatican, Forum, Colloseum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navonna. It was great not having to figure out the bus system. Every night we wandered the streets near the Piazza Navonna and made our dinner choice based on the number of locals who were eating at the establishment. Every morning we had a light breakfast on the roof top terrace as we listened to the city come to life. As many on this board have reported, the staff was not overly friendly but we did get accurate answers to all our questions. For some reason we had been upgraded to the junior suite and if your budget can afford it I would hightly recommend it. It was a great corner room, with a large bathroom and the double set of shutters in addition to the glass windows completely block out all sound and light.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 04:46 AM
xx

Kathy: Do you remember the room number for the junior suite or was it just called the "jr. suite." I am planning on staying at the Portogeshi and would like to reference this room. Thanks.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 05:39 AM
Paul

I have stayed at Portoghesi twice. Last time was in the room with the access to the terrace, which was nice. I'd agree that they are not friendliest crew in the city, just sort of businesslike. But I don't think you can beat the location and the rooms are fine.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 05:42 AM
Kathy

Good morning, <BR>It was room number 26 or "venti sei" as we would say each time we asked for our key . <BR>