Advice on Southern Italy trip

Nov 10th, 2018, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Advice on Southern Italy trip

I am planning a 10 day trip (early October 2019) to southern Italy and am am trying to decide where to make my home base. Would like a less touristy place to call home. My thoughts are either Sorrento, Sant Agnello, Positano or Amalfi. I know they are all touristy but which one is less so? I plan on trips to Pompeii, Mount Vesuvius, Herculaneum and Capri these are a must see, the rest of the time will be spur of the moment (probably sitting at a café drinking wine). Also ease of public transportation is a plus.

As far as accommodations, not looking for anything fancy, as I will spend very little time in it.
Nov 10th, 2018, 04:37 PM
kja

If you are only willing to stay in one location, Sorrento would probably suit your needs best.

If you are willing to split your time, you might consider Naples and somewhere on the Amalfi Coast itself (Amalfi, Positano, maybe even Ravello). Or a night or two on Capri (which is much nicer, IMO, after day trippers leave). And if you have any interest in magnificent Paestum, underrated Salerno would be an alternative to Naples.

Hope that helps!
Nov 11th, 2018, 01:24 AM

If you want a less touristy place to call home then you have to avoid the places you have selected. Probably also worth noting that while these places are in the south there are are many more southerly places. Good luck and the choice of October will make these places quiet pleasant.
Nov 11th, 2018, 01:29 AM

We stayed in Sant' Agnello, Hotel Mediterraneo that we loved. Sant' Agnello is quiet and the bus (stop in front of the hotel) takes you to Sorrento in just 10 minutes. Also very convenient for the Circumvesuviana (train station a few min. walk from hotel) to Pompei and Herculaneum.
Nov 11th, 2018, 12:01 PM

I'd agree with bilboburgler as everywhere you have listed is "touristy" - In fact, the centre of Naples will be far less touristy than Sorrento or the Amalfi Coast (and, in my opinion, Naples has a mostly undeserved reputation) and leave you closer to most of the things you wish to visit. I don't find Salerno particularly attractive - Agropoli or Santa Maria di Castellabate are probably too far south (although quite close to Paestum).
Nov 12th, 2018, 10:17 AM

We were in that area late September, early October in 2012. We loved Naples and spent a few nights there. It's a remarkable city and one of our favorites. From there we took a train to Salerno, picked up a rental car, and then drove to the Cilento Peninsula. The medieval fishing village of Pisciotta is stunning, untouristed, amazing foods and beautiful scenery. We've been back since and friends and family have visited. I highly recommend the Marulivo Hotel.

From there we returned our car to Salerno and took the boat up to Positano. We had a small apartment about a mile south of Positano and halfway up the hill for about 5 days. When we got off the boat at Positano it was a sea of English speakers and mobs of tourists. I was underwhelmed by the tourist attractions there but loved the hike along the top of the hill. We enjoyed a day trip to Amalfi and the paper museum.
Nov 13th, 2018, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. Will post itinerary when I have it done.
Nov 14th, 2018, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

So here is my tenative schedule. I have a couple of open days in Naples and one in Sorrento. Is it possible to do Positano and Amafi in the same day? Is there anything that is a "must see" in these areas?
Leave US -
Day 1Arrive Naples
Day2 Sorrento
Day3Capri
Day4 Positano / Amalfi ?
Day 5 open
Day 6 Travel to Naples
Day7 Pompeii
Day 8 Vesuvius/Herculaneum
Day 9 open
Day10 open
Day 11 Leave Italy

Last edited by bmorf; Nov 14th, 2018 at 06:15 PM.
Nov 14th, 2018, 06:54 PM
kja

I'm not sure that I would stay in Sorrento just for Sorrento -- although I'm sure it's very nice, most people stay there more because it is a good base for the area, not because of the town itself. YMMV.

What is a "must see" is, I think, a very personal thing, dependent upon interests and preferences. To learn what intrigues YOU, I strongly encourage you to consult a good guidebook or two.

That said, I consider Paestum as close to a must-see as I can imagine. And the archeology museum in Naples. And Ravello is, IMO, one of the most beautiful places in the world.

I believe that most people can see both Positano and Amalfi on the same day. Again, it depends on what you want to see and experience.
Nov 15th, 2018, 12:09 AM

Yep the Paestum is the only must-see in the area, very well preserved probably only matched by one site in Sicily and two in Libya. Herculaneum and Pompeii are almost at the same level.
Nov 15th, 2018, 06:51 AM

I don't understand that list--are those day trips or places you will stay overnight?
With your number of days, I would stay on the Amalfi Coast, on an island, and in Naples, roughly three days each, or however it works according to your interests.
Nov 15th, 2018, 09:54 PM

I also don't understand that list. You arrive in Naples on Day 1 and travel to Naples on Day 6. Which of those other places are you staying in between those days? There is a lot to see in Naples. I was there for 5 nights in September and didn't get to everything on my list, although I move a lot more slowly than most.

Search this Thread