Reload this Page >

Advice on quick trip to Spain in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Sheila

I have to use my BA miles this summer and considering a trip to Spain. Need to travel end of June/first week of July (9-10days). I know we can't visit all the cities. However, could we still have a great time in a few cities? or does it require a lot of travel time. We like Seville, Marbella, Barcelona from what we've read so far. Northern Spain looks great, too but can't do North and South in a long week(or can we?<BR> Any help would be great. <BR>Thanks!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:53 AM
GGinSF

Where does BA fly into? Would you take rail between cities or rent a car? In general, I think basing yourself in a main city for 4-5 days (w/ possible day trips) works well, so I'd pick two main cities like Madrid & Barcelona, Madrid & Sevilla (w/ the AVE train link this is a quick trip), etc. If you fly into Barcelona then you could head north/northeast or south after, but I wouldn't do both. I love Sevilla and am partial to that city and Andalucia in general.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Shain

Hi Sheila,<BR>what about doing Madrid/Toledo and <BR>Sevilla<BR>That's more than enough.<BR>1. Madrid<BR>2. Madrid<BR>3. Madrid<BR>4. Madrid-Toledo-Madrid<BR>5. take AVE (Highspeedtrain)to Seville<BR>6. Seville<BR>7. Seville<BR>8. Seville-Granada (car 260km/3hrs)<BR>9. Granada<BR>10.Granada-back home<BR>What will U see?<BR>Madrid:<BR>go to Retiropark, stroll along the streets and parks sit in those wonderful bistros, relax.<BR>Go for museas: Thyssen, Prado, Reina Sofia, Look out for the Picasso Tower, <BR>shop on the Calle Serrano<BR>Toledo:<BR>capitol of Castillia, old town, Alcazar, cathedral, find all sorts of styles, arabic, gothic, rennaissance -<BR>it's a must-it's really really beautiful, just 70km south of MAD.<BR>Seville:<BR>Andalicias capitol, enjoy strolling through the tiny streets of the old town, go to the big cthedral"Giralda",<BR>go to those original places where "Flamenco" was born. <BR>Granada:<BR>Outstanding and world-reknown "Alhambra"<BR>wonderfully on the foot of the "Sierra Nevada" mountains. I personally think one of the most beautiful cities of europe and for spain, with great islamic architecture.(marrocans)<BR>Hotels: - Madrid -<BR>AC Santo Mauro - former Palace -very charming spanish design, just about 30 rooms - all important sites in walking distance.<BR> - Seville -<BR>Los Seises - you think it's a museum.Built in the 16th century, former episcopal ! With a roof terrace and an outstandig view to the cathedral.<BR>You'll never forget it.<BR> - Granada -<BR>Get into the maroccanian style and stay<BR>at the Alhambra Palace hotel - there is just no other hotel you should use, while in this unique city.<BR><BR>And dont miss the AVE train instead riding all the way in the heat of the beginning summer and all the traffic, donot fly. Remember this elegant, clean a/c train brings you from city center to center and you just sit back and enjoy the andalisian cenery. What more can u make out of your few days in spain<BR><BR>More questions<BR>Email me<BR>Shain/Germany/D&uuml;sseldorf<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>6. Seville

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Tom

Sheila, if I might add to the fine suggestions you've received so far, if you do make it to Seville, don't miss that city's wonderful alcazar. It's within walking distance of the cathedral and is not to be missed.<BR>

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Sheila

Thanks for the replies! Do you think it will be very crouded at this time? Also, would really like to see the coast. Any comments on Marbella?

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Shain

Hi Sheila,<BR>July will be pretty full at the coast.<BR>Especially Malag, Torremolinos and Marbella. Marbella is also THE place for the rich and famous in europe.<BR>If you want see some real big private owned luxury yachts - it's the place to be. <BR>Regarding my itinerary, you may leave <BR>1 day eralier from seville, go to granada than turn to Malaga and the coast. The advantage is - there are many<BR>flights out of Malaga, maybe nonstop to whereever you want to go.<BR>More infoes needed -email me<BR>Shain/EU/DE/D&uuml;sseldorf

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 01:12 PM
j

I'm surprised that so far no one has really recommended Barcelona - I wouldn't miss it! Barcelona has something for everyone - wonderful old sections, funky modern art everywhere, shopping and sophisticated streets, and even (albeit not outstanding) a beach. You could do Madrid/Toledo and then fly to Barcelona, an hour, $60 trip. If you want beach then, maybe try the coast of France, which is very close. En route, stop at the Dali Museum in Figueres (1 hr. north). Marbella is a fun, lively, and modern beach resort, but I wouldn't miss Barcelona to fit it in. (Sevilla, too, while definitely worthwhile, does not offer the same amount and diversity of activity.)

Old May 30th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Jean

We'll also planning a trip to Spain in July. Thinking about Madrid, Seville and Marbella. Will it be very very hot in Madrid and Seville in July?