Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice on itinerary from Tuscany to Piedmont?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 05:56 PM
Mark D

Can anyone recommend a good itinerary for driving 2 days from southern Tuscany (Montepulciano) to Piedmont (near Turin)? We've explored Florence, the Chianti, and San Gimignano and want to see other areas this time.<BR><BR>Would you recommend spending both nights somewhere near-midway between? Or staying the first night in/near Lucca and the second night somewhere further north? Would you drive along the coast or through the mountains?<BR><BR>We are especially interested in visiting wineries and plan to spend a couple of days around Barolo, Barbaresco, Alba, and Asti. Any recommendations on wineries or restaurants? (Guido's has been suggested.)<BR><BR>Finally--can anyone comment on Castello di Pavone just north of Turin as a place to stay?<BR><BR>Many thanks and happy holidays.<BR>

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 07:29 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Mark, Take the coast road, but stop at Lucca for 2 hours enroute. You have several great options, depending on time of year. My choice would be either Portovenere or Santa Marherita on the coast. But, Lago Orta is a very special place that is also enroute. If during warm weather, I would spend both nites on the coast and boat to the Cinque Terre on the second day. Good luck !

Old Dec 23rd, 2001, 03:23 AM
pat

We ate at La Cantinetta in Barolo. They have a degustation menu. It was very good and quite an experience.

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 04:57 PM
Don and Linda

Hi Mark, Our Italy trip travelogue (Rome, Chiusi, Florence, Camogli, Genoa, Bellagio, Valle D'Aosta, Torino, Piemonte, Pavia, Stresa) has lots of great information for your trip-planning. We highly recommend Il Cascinale Nuovo in Isola d'Asti - a great place to stay with a world-class restaurant. Ciao, Don and Linda

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 04:47 PM
Mark

If Don and Linda see this--could you tell me how to access your travelogue? I tried doing a search of this chat group and had no luck. Thanks.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 06:15 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Mark, www.thetravelzine.com Good stuff !