Reload this Page >

Advice on Itinerary

Search

Advice on Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Nicole

Advice on Itinerary

My husband and I have just finished sketching out an itinerary for<BR>our first trip to Ireland in April. Any suggestions/recommendations? Is<BR>this realistic? We are using a travel package that has B&B vouchers - any suggestions of places to stay (B&Bs or Guesthouses - &lt;we can upgrade to a guesthouse&gtare GREATLY appreciated! We are worried about staying in Glin the first night - I can't seem to find much info on the town... but we wanted someplace close to the ferry...<BR><BR>Day 1- From Shannon Airport to Bunratty. Bunratty to Cliffs of Moher.<BR>Cliffs of Moher to Killimer ferry. Stay in Glin. <BR><BR>Day 2 - Dingle Peninsula. Drive to Killarney - stay in Killarney 2nd night. (If we have time we'll explore Lakes that afternoon). <BR><BR>Day 3 - Lakes of Killarney, Muckross House, Blarney Castle. Drive to Kinsale <BR>for good food and night's stay!<BR><BR>Day 4 - From Kinsale to Cahir, Cahir to Cashel. Drive into Kilkenny to stay the night.<BR><BR>Day 5 - Explore Kilkenny, drive to see Glendalough, Stay in Rathnew or Wicklow.<BR><BR>Day 6 - Drive to Dublin early a.m. - spend the day and night in Dublin.<BR><BR>Day 7 - Drive to Dublin Airport for trip home!<BR>

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 11:26 PM
Leslie

All great destinations...this is a bit agressive, but I suppose you know that with a different place every night. Just expect the travel times to be twice what you'd expect. No super highways. I wouldn't try to drive more than 50 miles in a day.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 11:58 PM
janis

All the places you are visiting are worthwhile - but packing up and moving on every day will make your head spin. The first day will be a killer - you will be jet lagged after an overnight flight and with three major things - Bunratty, Moher and the ferry plus some very slow driving. <BR><BR>Leslie's guideline of 50± miles per day is about right. that doesn't seem like much - but adding in stops for lunch and pubs plus two or three sites at 2 or more hours each and your day will very hectic. Many places like Dingle take most of a day in themselves because the scenery is so wonderful. <BR><BR>You don't say why you are making some of the stops - some may be more important than others due to family connections or sentimental reasons - but if it were me I'd cut out 2 or 3 or more, and stay 2 nights more places.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Bill

Nicole:<BR><BR>Although I agree with the other posters that this is pretty agreesive, I see what you are trying to do and it's not a bad taste of Ireland. Yes, I'd rather spend more time in each city, like a couple of days, but you want to see as much as you can. Just be prepared, you'll have to make another trip soon!!!<BR><BR>The first day is the problem. WAY too much! You'll be exhausted. You can probably find a B&B around the airport that will let you check in early, though I'm not sure with vouchers. I'm not a real fan of the voucher plan, but check the Town & Country website and or/ get their book (It may have come with your vouchers). Some B&Bs allow you to take a nap when you get there. THAT WILL REALLY HELP! The loop to the Cliffs and back to Killimer is too much. Quite frankly, the last half of your trip looks pretty do-able, but the first few days is a little much. Not sure what to take out, maybe Kinsale.<BR><BR>There is really no reason to "upgrade" to a guesthouse. I'm not sure what the techical difference is between a B&B and a guesthouse, but I think that it is mainly number of rooms. I don't believe that it suggests a better quality accommodation, and don't worry, privacy is usually very good in B&B's. Stay with the B&Bs.<BR><BR>Good luck<BR><BR>Bill

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:34 PM
kam

Agree with others that the first two days are way too much. Nearer to Shannon are Ennis, Bunratty, Kinvara, Ballyvaughan, Lisdoonvarna to name a few of the little towns. I would look for B&Bs in those towns rather than going all the way to Glin. Alternatively, look for something in Limerick or a very sweet town is Killaloe about half an hour from Limerick. Dingle Peninsula requires a day by itself. There are nice little hotels and B&Bs in Dingle Town and some good restaurants and music pubs. I think you'll be happy to stay there for a night. I would skip Blarney Castle--you'll spend hours standing in line with tourists. Killarny is a good stop--lots of hotels on the road out to Muckross House.We stayed at Muckross House Hotel, just across the street from the entrance to the abbey. Wonderful place off season but not for the summer. I too would question Kinsale. It's a pretty little town and has some nice restaurants but not a whole lot more. Kilkenny is a super little town. I think I would spend the night there before driving into Dublin. Cashel and Cahir can be done as a daytrip from the Shannon area, so you might want to consider making them day 2 while staying put in your first hotel. Then you could move on to Dingle and Killarney. You'll find the 50 miles or so very true in the west and south of Ireland, but when you get over to Kilkenny/Wicklow/Wexford the roads are better and traffic moves faster (until Dublin, of course). Ireland is one of our favorite places but you can ruin the trip if you try to drive too much and not stop to enjoy the Irish people. Have fun.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 12:15 PM
Nicole

Thanks so much for all the great advice! Bill you are indeed right! We are trying to see a lot in this trip with the hope of returning sometime to see the spots we fall in love with at a more leisurely pace! The first day was my biggest worry - and as most of you confirmed it sounds like we are trying to be too aggressive that day! We plan to take a sleeping pill when we get on the plane - so hopefully we will have slept a bit (although I know we will still be very tired). Thanks so much for the '50-mile' advice -- I am going to use that and rethink our plans! <BR>THANKS!