Driving from Gubbio, Umbria to Rome Airport on changeover day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying near Carbonesca, nearest large town is Gubbio in Umbria and will be driving straight to Rome Airport when we checkout. We check out of our accommodation on 'changeover day' which is Saturdays, and we have heard from a European friend that Saturdays can be ridiculously busy on the roads. Just wondering approximate time it will take us to drive from Gubbio to the Airport? Has anyone else found Saturdays very busy on the roads or have you driven this route? Thanks!
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 01:55 AM

What time of the year is this?

Anyway, the huge crowds on the highways on weekends tend to be on the autostrade leading to beach areas. We once drove straight across Italy, from Lucca to our home in Le Marche, passing near Gubbio, on the weekend after the May 1st holiday. The radio was warning of massive traffic jams, but we found clear roads all the way. Of course, that's one example, but I really wouldn't expect a tremendous amount of traffic on this route.

If you're taking a flight, you should alway allow lots of extra time for the unexpected.
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 04:49 AM

Have you checked viamichelin.com for an approximate driving time? That site shows 3.25 hours. I would suggest at least 4 hours for the drive without stopping.

Are you trying to make a flight? If you are, I would add 2 additional hours to the driving time and try to leave very early in the morning.
Old Jun 28th, 2014, 07:34 AM

What time of year is this?

What happens if you have a car breakdown? Run into a traffic jam because of an accident? Things can happen in Italy. (I always wonder why there aren't more accidents in Italy, with all those drivers passing on blind curves.)

If you miss your flight, what then? Will you have to pay full price for new tickets? Wait maybe days for a flight with available seats?

Odds are none of this will happen. But, as a rule and especially in Italy, I always get to my departure city the day before my flight home. Even if it means missing a day of my rental.
Old Jun 29th, 2014, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

Oops, we are travelling mid July and yes to get onto a flight. Thanks for the viamichelin tip I will check that out.