Reload this Page >

Southern Greek Island in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 12:23 PM
Sheila

Help us pick please. My husband has finally indicated that out 2 week holiday this year is likely to be the middle two weeks in October, and he quite fancies a Greek island, probably not Crete becasue we've been there twice. <BR> <BR>Suggestions? We like peace and quiet; decent accommodation which does not need to be luxurious; a bit of archaeology would not go amiss; and I quite like birds. How warm can we expect it to be? <BR> <BR>One or two islands? Any suggestions as to accommodation (self-catering is usually a hit). Thanks for your thoughts.

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 03:41 PM
George

Sheila, <BR> <BR>Well you can try the islands of Chios and of Mytilene(Lesvos).Quite large islands,inhabited all year round.They have a bit of archaelogy and birdwathing???Also excellent to waalk or drive around The weather in October is colder though.They have sea/air connections frequently during the day with Athens. <BR>I would also recommend Milos,but you have to make sure the places you have to stay are open beyond October.Its a smaller island but very beautifull. <BR>To get a small taste for Chios you can refer to www.chiosnet.gr/tourism <BR>For Milos www.united-hellas.gr/tourism/milos <BR>for Mytilene(Lesvos)www.lesvosonline.gr/default.htm <BR>I hope it will help you to decide. <BR>

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 10:48 PM
Tom

My wife and I spent a long week-end in Cyprus in May(we live in Saudi Arabia). We had a super time. We stayed in Limassol, but did some touring in the Trodos Mts. and the area between Limassol and Paphos. The historic sites/ruins are plentyful, the ocean beautiful, and the Mountain scenery and villages colorful. We are going back for a week in October. <BR> <BR>I much prefer it to places like Kos or other smaller Islands. <BR> <BR>There are several web sites for Cyprus that could assist with accommodation etc., just search on Keyword Cyprus.

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 01:22 AM
Sheila

Thank you both, especially George. Great ideas, which I'll take forward. <BR> <BR>As great Cyprus aficionados, we are again trying to see somewhere new. <BR> <BR>TVM

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 05:24 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Sheila, why not Santorini---by far the <BR>best Greek Isle and magnificent. <BR>We were there in early Oct. 2 years ago <BR>and loved it. The digs at the south end <BR>are also impressive. Easy choice !

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 05:38 AM
phyllis

sheila- <BR>I heartily endorse Chios as a destination and perhaps Samos for your second island, which is a short ferry ride away. We stayed in a small hotel in Chios Town called Hotel Kyma. Our room had a terrace overlooking the shore of Turkey and had a jacuzzi too! The proprietor, Teddy, is the most wonderful host. He owns another hotel in a small town on the north side of the island as well, called Hotel Kardimilla (?). Teddy helped us arrange a private driver to tour the island, recommended a restaurant that served probably one of best meals we've ever had and kept a clean and lovely establishment. There is not alot of ancient archeaeology, but the "mastic villages" (medieval) are extraordinarily beautiful. Samos is more lush and green. What we especially enjoyed was the fact that neither island had many tourists, so we had most sights to ourselves (and we were there in July). It was mostly Greek nationals visiting family. Wherever you go, have a great trip!

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 10:21 AM
Sheila

Thanks again for these suggestions. What was te weather like, Bob?

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 10:26 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Weather was perfect---range of 84 to 68. <BR>We stayed at Oia and find it to be the <BR>best serene location---the hotel was <BR>built into the hillside and spectacular. <BR>Search for Esperas Trad. Houses. You can <BR>bus to much of the island, but Oia is <BR>at the extreme north end.