ADVICE ON AIRFARE TO ROME

Feb 4th, 2000, 12:00 PM
Bob

ADVICE ON AIRFARE TO ROME

Planning trip from Newark to Rome in October. Have hotel & dates (Sat. to Sat.)

Best fares I can see are from $700 to $787 with 1 stop. (expedia.com)

Looking for opinions. Should I book now at the above rates for October or can I get something cheaper via anothe source. Or should I wait till we get closer to October.

Appreciate any input about cheaper fares.

Bob

Feb 4th, 2000, 01:06 PM
pam

Bob, we flew from Houston to Rome last May for $518 r/t on Air France/Continental, changing at Charles de Gaulle. I use a travel agent in Germany. When I searched for the same fare, I couldn't find it unless I specified Air France/Continental. Also, this fare was lower than he'd originally found for us (though not by much), then Air France had a fare sale and we were able to take advantage of that. I think we bought our tickets in late January/early February for May. I'd keep looking. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Feb 4th, 2000, 02:39 PM
Tom

Bob - Why don't you try posting on the cheap flight forum at eurotrip.com.

Feb 4th, 2000, 04:21 PM
Rex

Bob,

For virtually every season, the airlines have a "test-the-market" sale - - I don't say this as if I have some inside industry knowledge - - it just seems that way to me. I predict you that will see such a sale about May 1 for October. In the meantime, set Expedia's fare tracker (watcher) to inform you of changes in this market (although it won't tell you about October specifically).

Watch www.skyauction.com also.

Feb 4th, 2000, 07:21 PM
Dani

Hi,

We booked a trip from JFK to Paris, and then from Rome to JFK for $421 through Delta leaving the last week in March and returning the 2nd week in April. My friend paid $100 less because theyleft in early March and returned in March. Go to their web-site. Also, try cheaptickets.com-they also have a phone# which you can find on their website. They had tickets for the same price leaving from Newark. Their prices were even better than lowestfare.com which I really like. Good Luck.

Dani

Feb 4th, 2000, 09:35 PM
Victor

Hey, Bob

I'm with Pam on this one. I am flying to Rome from Tucson, AZ with a short stop in Houston and another short stop in Paris, on the 8th of March. I just bought my tickets about a week ago, for $480 through Air France/Continental. But my travel agent did not find the rates, a friend of mine found them directly from the airline and saved me about $200. And my friend actually called the airline rather than using the web. I have no idea if there is a difference, usually, but there seemed to be one this time. Good luck.

Feb 5th, 2000, 05:16 AM
Dani

Hi,

I forgot to add to my post above, the rates were for non-stop flights.

Dani

Feb 5th, 2000, 05:57 AM
karie

Hi everyone. Just found this morning $348 round trip from Atlanta to Fiumicino...travel to be completed by April 13. Also showing AirFrance, British Air, Continental, Alitalia. Check Travelocity.com. I know I will post this and everyone will snap it up. Have a good trip for me. Wish I were going but just too busy right now...sigh.

Feb 5th, 2000, 06:15 AM
Betty

In October 1999 we flew from Newark to Rome on Continental for $630 rt. I got the fare by calling Continental directly and asking which days were cheapest. I find I always do better by calling the carrier and talking to a reservationist. We also booked seat assignments. I called about 2 months in advance. We live in NJ and fly Continental whenever we can out of Newark.

Feb 5th, 2000, 02:51 PM
JohnC

You've got plenty of time to wait for sales. You can almost certainly do a lot better than $700. Keep checking Expedia.com occasionally, and also try bestfares.com. To get their best deals you have to subscribe for a year ($60) but you can make that back in savings quickly. We're flying from JFK to Milan in a couple of weeks on tickets we bought in November, for $320 round trip. Also, if you're flexible about airports you might do better, as there are often better deals from Kennedy. The cheap flights forum on eurotrip.com has lots of good tips.

Feb 6th, 2000, 07:17 AM
Debbie

You would probably get a better deal out of JFK to Rome(especially for a nonstop).Delta has two nonstop flights a day to Rome plus nonstops to Milan and starting May 1st-Venice.Ah,have a glass of chianti for all of us who would love to go too! Debbie

Feb 6th, 2000, 12:05 PM
Rex

To Bob and Debbie:

When searching on expedia or travelocity, use NYC rather than EWR, JFK or LGA - - will find the best rate at any of the three. This same principle applies to LON, PAR, MIL, ROM etc.

Feb 13th, 2000, 07:01 PM
Catherine

Bob,
I got an airfare of $378.00 round trip
leaving March 8 and returning March 22,2000 on Alitalia. I would call them
direct or use travelscape.com. I find
this site the best.
Good luck

Feb 14th, 2000, 05:34 AM
Frank

Bob: The rate for October seems about right. Keep in mind that when people talk about inexpensive fares in March, that's comparable to going in late November when fares are also inexpensive. October rates (particularly the first half of the month) are comparable to May and the rates are generally high. Having said that, it seems early to be booking for October and I would continue to check fares through May or June before booking.