Reload this Page >

advice needed on this iternary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 10:30 AM
Nancy

We are flying into Frankfurt, arriving on Sunday morning, and plan to pick up a rental car at the airport and drive to Rothenburg. It should be mid-afternnon when we arrive in Rothenburg. The plan is to check into our hotel (any suggestions?), walk around a bit, and drive to Munich the next morning along the Romantic road. Does this sound like a good itenerary? I would like to see a little bit of Munich, and do the castle tour. Anyone have advice for this? We have to be back in Frankfurt that evening. Also, I expect it to be cold, but do they do a good job maintaining the roads in bad weather?<BR>Thanks,<BR>Nancy

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 11:19 AM
Liz

If I'm reading this correctly, you have about 48 hours, starting and ending in Frankfurt, and you want to see Rothenburg, Munich, and &quot;The&quot; castle (Neuschwanstein?) You're kidding, right?

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 11:22 AM
s

No way. You arrive Sunday morning, drive to Rothenburg, spend the night, drive to Munich Monday, sight see, and have to be back in Frankfurt on Monday night? Never happen. Better replan this

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 11:24 AM
Michael

Do I understand you correctly? Day one you plan to drive to Rothenburg; day two you plan to drive to Munich, see Munich and a castle (I suspect that you have Neuschwanstein in mind) and get back to Frankfurt that same evening? Keep the trip shorter and see other things. Maybe Wurzburg with its episcopal palace, Rothenburg, then perhaps Maulbronn (between Stuttgart and Pforzheim) and back to Frankfurt. If you are coming from the States, even that might be much given the jet-lag problem.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 11:34 AM
wes fowler

Nancy,<BR>Arrive in Frankfurt Sunday morning, return to Frankfurt Monday evening; have I got it correct? Are you aware that Munich is about 250 miles and over 4 hours drive time from Frankfurt? Fussen and Neuschwanstein castle, while only about 70 miles from Munich involves an almost two hour drive. The drive from Fussen to Frankfurt involves 260 miles and almost 5 hours drive time.<BR><BR>Your plans are far too ambitious in the time you allow yourself. I'd suggest you forget Neuschwanstein and Munich, consider Rothenburg and Wurzburg. You'll get some feel for the charm and historic wealth of Bavaria with those two cities.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 11:37 AM
Heinz

Maybe they plan to rent one of those big ol' Mercedes and just fly down the autobahn at about 240 kilometers per hour! Yeah that is it. That is the ticket!

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 11:58 AM
Ann

Nancy, you got the first day right, just drop the rest and stay in Rothenburg. You actually will get there by noon unless you plan stops along the way. If so, you might want to swing down to Heidelberg for lunch, then go to Rothenburg. Reichs Kuchenmeister is a wonderful hotel with an excellent restaurant and you will be able to sightsee and shop in town the next day before you return to Frankfurt. Don't worry, there's plenty to see/do in that one town. Sorry you can't stay longer.. best wishes.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:07 AM
Nancy

Thanks for the advice...I thought it was perhaps a bit ambitious I think we will just do Rothenburg and save Munich for another trip. And to the guy who thinks renting a Mercedes is just the ticket, well, thats exactly what I plan to do!<BR>Nancy