Reload this Page >

Advice needed for hotels in Budapest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 01:11 PM
Julia

We will be in Budapest about three days so location is somewhat important. We are looking for a place under or around $100/night. <BR> <BR>Thinking about: <BR> <BR>Alba <BR>Victoria <BR>Kulturinov

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 01:49 PM
s.fowler

You can do a search here for comments of Hotel Victoria. I recommend it highly. Every room has a view of the Danube as well as the Chain Bridge and Parliament. The rooms are modern and pleasant. Breakfast is included.It is in Buda, but 5 minutes from the little funicular to Castle Hill [and the Chain Bridge, and a 8 minute walk to Bathyanyi Ter [sp.?], a very useful stop on the metro's red line. There is also a SPAR grocery store near the stop. <BR>One poster and myself have had some questions about the exchange rate they use for your bill -- it's a small thing -- just be alert. Otherwise the hotel is well located and well run. And hard to beat for the price. Say hi to Edina at the front desk if you go! We're taking 6 of our students there in June whihc should say how much we like and trust this hotel. <BR>The Alba, from what I have been able to glean, is near Hotel Victoria, modern, pleasant without the views and tends to get a lot of tour groups. <BR>The Kulturinov is on Castle Hill -- not luxurious, but again and interesting location.

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 03:56 PM
merriem

We just returned from Budapest on March 28, and stayed at the Hilton. We paid $130 with a full breakfast and taxes for a lovely room on the executive floor. They rooms had all been renovated recently and were very nice. While we were there (6 days) we checked out some of the other considerations, the Hyatt, Inter-Continental, and prefered the location of the Hilton. (The Castle Area) The Gellert has beautiful pictures on the web, but when we went inside, it was very old, and rather shabby. The Hilton was in a very quiet area, but just two blocks to catch the bus. I highly recommend the Dominican restaurant, outstanding food, and beautiful views. You will have a very nice visit in Budapest.

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 04:01 PM
merriem

One last thought. I found that I could get a better rate by e-mailing them directly... e-mail address is [email protected] Also, got the best rate with the second e-mail and a little negotiating.

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 06:30 AM
Julia

Thanks! <BR> <BR>What was the concern about the exchange rate at the Victoria? We would be paying by credit card probably. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 07:00 AM
s.fowler

Re: the "bill thing" at the Victoria. It seems to happen when you have given a deposit. They sometimes claim it is credited and that the exchange rate has gone up. The way to avoid this [which I have no idea whether it is a misunderstanding or a "scam"] is to NOT give a deposit. Just use your card to secure the reservation. That way it works fine. This is a small matter for what is otherwise a wonderful hotel with a great location and great staff. I'm only mentioning it to be complete. The hotel is used by many foreign business types - who wouldn't come back if there *was* something fundamentally wrong. <BR>

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 11:06 AM
Julia

Thanks again! <BR> <BR>How much is your room rate in June. We are hoping for under $100.

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 11:27 AM
s.fowler

Right around $110. The website says 102 euros for a double/189 DEM. Email me if you want more information about the hotel... but I'd book soon. It is small [27 or so rooms] and books fast.

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 11:28 AM
s.fowler

Next time I'll proofread betetr. It's right around $100 USD.