Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed For Holiday in May 08 (Contd.)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello & Good Morning,

Need some more advise. As indicated earlier, will be based in Lucerne for 5 nights - for Rigi, Titlis & Pilatus excursions and also some other interesting excursions which can be done with kids of 5 yrs & 4 yrs. Is 5 nights enough or should we stay for more time. Somebody has advised to move on to Interlaken but I feel this city is quite pricey. Could anyone suggest another better place to base ourselves so that we can do the Jungfrau and Schilthorn conveniently. How many days should we be based there? Then want to move on to Zermatt. Is there any alternate town to Zermatt which is equally good and less expensive for accomodation? Have read fantastic reviews about Graubunden region - Pontresina. In which place should we base ourselves and what are the attractions? Have also read somewhere about the caves with fantastic stalactites cannot recall the name. I think it is somewhere close to Geneva. Will we be able to see the Black Forest? Now I am absolutely confused not knowing what to see & what to skip. Our entry & exit airports will be Zurich. Please, please advise. Do not want anything fancy to stay like swimming pools etc but it has to be comfortable and conveniently located to the train station with good food available at reasonable prices. We will be using the trains and not be having a car.
Sherryskp
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 01:53 AM

Hi Sherry,
We stayed in Pontresina for 4 days in June and loved it. We had time in Brienz, Locarno, Zermatt and Zurich as well.
If you have time click on my name and look for Maudie's Trip Report,8 weeks in Europe. The last 3 weeks is spent in Switzerland. It may be of some help to you.
Best wishes for a great holiday.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 01:55 AM

Oops, I forgot Vevey - how could I have forgotten!
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 03:02 AM

Black Forest? That's a bit far off. With two small kids I would not waste a whole day on the train. Besides, what for? You'd be disappointed after the Swiss Alps.

Seems you're planning to move around quite a lot, which I imagine to be quite stressful for and with the littlies. You cannot "do" the whole of Switzerland in one trip, so you'll have to choose. The country isn't that small. I would not pick more than two bases. The kids are not interested in ticking off a list of the most famous mountains and cities of Switzerland, they'll want to explore and discover all the little things around, plants, animals, stones, streams...

Luzern - 5 nights means 4 full days. One could spend longer there, but it sounds all right to me if you don't stuff too much into each day. You're already planning 3 day trips from there. Slow down or stay longer.

Base 2 (the rest of your trip, at least a week) should be a mountain resort, a village somewhere higher in the mountains where you can do some small hikes, cable car rides etc. etc. And I strongly suggest renting a holiday apartment or chalet instead of a hotel room: cheaper and more convenient for a family. This could be, for example, EITHER in Berner Oberland (not Interlaken but closer to the mountains, somewhere in the Grindelwald - Lauterbrunnen area), OR around Zermatt - Saas Fee - or one of the places above the Rhone Valley like Riederalp or Bettmeralp that can be accessed by cable car only (adventure!), OR Graubünden (OR one of many other options).
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 04:14 AM

Hi sherryskp,

I agree with quokka -- I don't think you should try to see every beautiful area in Switzerland. After about 16 visits since 1995, I still haven't seen everything. So I think you need to find a great second base and then -- rest!!

If you want your second base to be around the Interlaken area, other towns to consider are Lauterbrunnen, Muerren, Grindelwald, and Wengen. If you don't mind being down in the flats, you might consider the town of Thun.

Around Zermatt, as quokka says, other villages are Saas Fee, Brig, Reideralp, and Bettmeralp.

I think the Engadin Valley will be a little too far for you to get to as it's on the far eastern side of the country. You might want to save that for your next trip.

Also save the Black Forest area (Freiburg, German, Strasbourg, Frence) for another trip.

Have fun!

s
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Good Morning to All,

Thanks for your useful insights. Yes, God willing I will come again & again. What you all say is right? Lets see may be we could increase the number of days in Lucerne and then move on to some mountain village.
Next question - which mountain village to be based in? Wow! and I thought Switzerland was small and could be covered in one trip.
Thanks once again and will keep posting questions as & when things come up.
Sherryskp
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Need some recommendations on places to stay in Wengen. Any recommendations for a good & decent place close to the train station. Apartment or hotel anything reasonably priced. Repeat nothing fancy but with good views and preferably good breakfast.
Also, please let me know how does one reach Wengen from Lucerne.
Thanks. I know I seem quite daft but this is our first trip and do not want to take any chances - especially when I am organizing the things.
Sherryskp
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 03:16 AM

Hi again,

Wengen is such a teeny tiny place that you may not need to be all that close to the train station. You can basically walk it end to end in about 15 minutes.

I've stayed at the Alpenrose (www.alpenrose.ch) two times and absolutely loved it! It's a 3-star about 10 minutes' walk from the station (they have an electric van and will collect you and your bags at the station if you e-mail or call). It sits overlooking a cliff, so the entire valley is laid out before you -- quite spectacular. The decor is done in warm pine and printed fabric, very charming. There is a great lounge and bar where most guests gather before dinner and gives a real community feeling.

The four-star Silberhorn is just across the street from the station, and I think it's a lovely old-world hotel too. I eat there at least once on each visit and am always pleased.

To get from Luzern to Wengen, go to the Swiss rail site at

www.rail.ch (English)

and input

Departure: Luzern
Destination: Wengen

Use the European format for dates (day/month/year), and also input the time you're likely to be leaving.

You'll get your complete schedule with changes and track numbers.

Have fun!

s