Reload this Page >

Advice-Graduation present for a teen w/ French language skills

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 05:25 PM
Debra

My daughter graduates from high school (US) in June...she is on to college in September and I would like to take her to Paris and other locations that would fit within a week or ten day itinerary....She has studied French (she is in A/P level this, her senior yesr)and would enjoy testing her skills. I think she would enjoy the coast, as we will most likely go in late June. Ideas?

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 05:36 PM
Bob Brown

I think any visit to France, particularly with language skills, is rewarding and fun. To me, however, Paris is special, but it is not all of France. But if this is to be your daughter's trip, why not involve her in the planning?? I can tell you from experience just recently acquired that 4 days can evaporate very quickly in Paris. Even a week would leave something for another trip. <BR>

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 07:24 PM
steve

To increase your daughter's language skills - get out of Paris. Go to a small village and stay for a week - Loire Valley is my favorite. Few people speak English. Visit the local shops, etc. and speak only in French and she will be amazed at her fluency. In just a week, my wife was able to carry on a two hour conversation with the local train stationmaster with no trouble!

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 07:54 PM
Sally

You might want to plan a stay at a farm. We just did that in Normandy- a 500 year old fortified stone farmhouse. The owners spoke no English so I got to use my somewhat rusty French. After supper we spent an hour sitting by the fire and hearing them tell about their memories of the Normandy invasion when they were children. She would like Honfleur. We stayed at L'Ecrin Hotel there- absolutely charming - with the whole room covered in fabric with a rose print.Also Mont St Michel.I am sure you willhave a wonderful time. I wish I had done that with my daughter when she graduated from High school.

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 08:04 PM
Lori

Debra, <BR>I'd vote for the Loire Valley also, but ask her what she'd prefer - chateaux, cathedrals, beaches, wine country, etc. You won't be able to do it all, but I'd definately get her involved in the planning big-time. She may prefer to stay in Paris and take a couple of day trips out of town. I think it really all depends on her interests and what would interest an older person may not appeal to someone about 18 yrs. old. If she's interested in art and museums you can easily spend a week in Paris doing that. I work at a university (and I see by your e-mail you are at Duke) so you probably are exposed to many "young adults" and know their interests probably are not quite the same as their parents, but with care and planning I believe you can have a great trip (I wish some one had taken me to Europe when I was that age!!). <BR> <BR>Interesting enough, my husband is French and I speak enough to "get by" but no matter where we have been in France people have wanted to speak English with us. Many French people enjoy practicing their English skills we've found, even in smaller towns. Try and put yourselves in situations where you "have" to speak French tho and no matter where you are or what you are doing it will be a memorable trip.

Old Oct 9th, 1999, 01:30 PM
Beth

Debra, <BR>I did just what you're planning to do. Last Christmas I took my two daughters to France. My oldest was graduating early from high school (she also took 4 years of French), my youngest was graduating from grade school. I thought with college coming up we wouldn't get many more chances. So, having said that, we planned. I involved both girls in the decisions. It really makes a difference. They get so excited looking at all the travel books, maps, websites, etc. <BR>Here was our itinerary-- <BR>Flew from Chicago to Paris overnight. The flight was the hardest. They got very anxious! The first three days we spent in Paris, just doing the typical touristy things. Eiffel Tower, a walk up the Champs Elysee, Sacre Coeur, Louvre. We used the Metro a lot, so they got familiar with how to get around. Day four we rented a car and spent four days driving around Normandy and the Loire. Visited Omaha Beach and surrounding countryside then drove directly to Mont St Michel. I would highly recommend staying there at least one night. It is breathtaking. Next day we moved on to Tours. Stayed there for three nights. It is a very central location if you want to see chateaux. Visited Noizay and Amboise. Amboise was beautiful (Leonardo De Vinci is entombed there). Left Tours and visited Chartre on the way back to Paris. If you like stained glass, Chartre is the place for you! Amazing. <BR>Spent the last 3 nights back in Paris at a great hotel in the Latin Quarter. <BR>Finished seeing the sights there. <BR>The girls were in awe. They now have the same travel bug as I do! I hope to take them to London in the spring. I'm sure your daughter will love every minute of the trip, no matter where you go. Please email me if you have any specific questions. I'd be more than happy to answer them. Have a wonderful time!

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 07:55 AM
sophie

Take your daughter to Normandy where there are good beaches and the D-Day exhibits as well. Or take her to the Brittany coast for amazing cliffs and fields of salt.... The Dune de Peyla in Arcachon near Bordeaux is the largest in all of Europe, although for swimmable waters, you'd need to go farther south.

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 09:13 AM
elvira

1)rent a house or apartment, or stay at a farm. If you rent, you have to go into the patisseries, boulangerie, etc and buy food. Nothing gets the French language juices flowing like the primal need for food. <BR> <BR>2)stay in small villages; less likely to run into English speakers in quantity. <BR> <BR>3)Perigord has many little villages and towns that are off the tourist beat; the inhabitants, for the most part, don't speak English, or just a little. They also speak "old" French, without a lot of accent (think of how English is spoken in Iowa vs Alabama; they speak French like Iowa speaks English). There are lots of caves, castles and churches to visit; lots of the guided tours or written info is in French only (man, do you learn French FAST). It's also very laid back (big sport is canoeing on a river that flows about 5 miles an hour - just to give you an idea how laidback the place is). <BR> <BR>4)You have to go to Paris, no matter what. In the tourist areas, the help speaks English. If you get off the beaten path (like the 20th arrondissement or the 13th), you'll run into fewer English speakers. <BR> <BR>5)Try the southeastern coast near Collieres (near Spanish border). The French is sort of mixed with Catalan for a unique sound. Not a lot of Americans go there (mostly a playground for French families) so English isn't heard too often. Not far from Carcassonne or Perpignan, and a short drive to the Pyrenees.

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 03:03 PM
Nicki

Debra, A wonderful idea. My daughter and I went to France when she was 16. We went with a school group which was limiting. Our trip was a whirlwind. 3 days in Paris were not enough. The Chateaux were fantastic. One thing we both agreed on was an overnight stay at Mont St. Michel is a must the next time we go. A few hours was not enough. In the early morning without a whole lot of people would be much more fun. There is no place like France. The people were very nice and we ran into more rudeness with our own group of American high-school students. Hope you have a wonderful time. Nicki

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 12:58 PM
Dee

I think it's a great idea to take your daughter to France for graduation. My mother did the same thing for me when I graduated from high school and now, 4 years later I am planning my 6 trip back to Europe and I have a job offer to work in Paris! My most cherished memories with my mother are those 2 weeks in Europe together. I reccommend Paris definitely! It's my favorite city and you could spend weeks exploring it. And while a lot of people are reccommending Normandy and such, I would reccommed the south of France, it's beautiful and what better way to relax before starting off to college! Also Chamonix and the Haut-Savoie region is amazing with some great hiking to be done! No matter what you choose, she'll have a great time!