Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice from Tours Around Tuscany veterans

Sep 13th, 2000, 06:20 AM
Heather

I'm sorry to repost a question if it already appeared, but my searches turned up no previous entries regarding "Tours Around Tuscany". I'll be in Florence for a week and would like to take one of the Tours. However, the Red, Blue and Green itineraries all look interesting. This will be a return to trip to Florence, but I didn't have the time to venture into Tuscany. My interests include just about everything -- Medieval villages, wine, cathedrals/abbeys, countryside, small towns, etc. If you've been on one or multiple Tours Around Tuscany, can you offer any feedback on the Tours? I absolutely cannot decide and would appreciate any first-hand experience.

Thank you!

Sep 17th, 2000, 10:31 AM
julie

Hello Heather,
My husband and I took a tour (Red tour ) with a guy from this company. I can say that it has been the most beautiful day of all my vacation in Italy. We really had good time. A tour without a fixed schedule, is heaven for people like us. We skipped vineyards and spent more time visiting abbeys, churches and medieval villages.
I do recommend to take a tour with this company.

Have a nice trip!

Sep 22nd, 2000, 09:17 AM
Lucille

About the itineraries; last year we took all of them, and we really had good time.
I'd rank them as follows:
1)Red
2)Blue
3)Green

I can't give you any advice about the guides, since we had the some guy for all the three days. He was a nice guy;
I don't remember his name, but I know for sure that he's the one who also takes care about the reservations.

Lucille

Sep 22nd, 2000, 09:51 AM
Heather

Thank you so much for your responses. All of the tours looked great, so the veteran input is helping me decide to go on the "Red" tour. I'm glad to know that they are lax about the schedule, too.

Thanks, again!

Sep 30th, 2000, 02:42 AM
Jenny

Heather-
I took the Blue Tour in July, and I personally think it was great. I can't make any comparison with the Red one, but I can tell you that this tour was one of the highlights of our trip to Italy; I definitely recommend it to others.

Ciao !!

Oct 3rd, 2000, 02:33 PM
kwl

We just returned from Italy and took one of the tours. It was well worth the time and money, and the guide was very knowledgeable. We did conclude one thing....the company is a one-man show. He makes several comments about the company, and his boss, but everything leads back to him. He does the reservations, he does the tours, he drives his car, etc. It seems strange, but the tour was very good, so we didn't ponder over it.

Make sure you do go, and have fun! And, also, try and pick the wine you drink; his picks aren't very good (the cheaper the wine, the more $ in his pocket).

Oct 3rd, 2000, 03:53 PM
Heather

Thanks, again, for all of the input ... it's just making more anxious for the time to hurry along!

Oct 4th, 2000, 09:36 AM
Al

Heather,
I just returned from 2 weeks in Siena. I arranged the tour for me, my dad and his wife. Gianni (pronounced Johnny, but with an Italian intonation) is the reservations man, and the main tour guide for the Red tour. He is an excellent guide, and we loved the tour. There is no fixed schedule, and you can modify it a bit as you want.
Make sure you visit the Abbey. You will learn things about the places that you won't even get if you read the Blue Guide for Tuscany.
By the way, my favorite restaurants in Siena were Nello-La Taverna, right across from Le Logge, and Da Enzo, a fantastic pasta and fish restaurant near the Giardini La Lizza on Via Camollia. No tourists, and have never seen it mentioned in a tour book or on forum (recommendation from my language teacher there).

Al

Oct 4th, 2000, 06:38 PM
jan

Go for the Red. Gianni (Johnny) does a great job. Very sharp and fun. jwg

Oct 4th, 2000, 08:34 PM
Heather

Al & Jan, thanks for your thoughts. Al, I really appreciate the restaurants suggestions for Sienna ... wonder if I could fit in both (where is that thread "does your diet follow you on vacation?"). Da Enzo sounds wonderful. I love seafood (especially w/pasta) and am a bit deprived in Chicago. I hope your family enjoyed the vacation (what a good son!).

Oct 14th, 2000, 07:09 AM
Frank

Heather, if you buy any chance, try to book at Bottega Nova, from the main square it's 10 minutes by cab , a little bit fancy and expensive (for the Italian standard), but the food is great. Try the Pici with the tomato & garlic sauce and let me know.

Frank.

Oct 14th, 2000, 09:51 PM
may

i'm curious. What's Tours Around Tuscany? I'm planning to visit Florence next year and the tours sound interesting. How do I go about getting more information?

Oct 15th, 2000, 04:53 AM
Joan

Sorry that I missed the beginning of this discussion. I am going to Tuscany in the Spring and would like to know where to find info about the Red, blue tours.

Oct 15th, 2000, 11:57 AM
Erica

You can find info about their tours on their website www.toursaroundtuscany.com.

Oct 15th, 2000, 12:09 PM
sick

Can this tour company advertisement be relegated to the Travel Agents/Tours subforum where it belongs?

Oct 16th, 2000, 06:42 AM
Heather

Dear "Sick", I don't know why everyone is so hypersensitive about thinking all posts naming any specific commercial endeavor are advertisements. I certainly am not advertising for Tours Around Tuscany. Like most others, I'm soliciting real advice from people who have used this service. Is no one supposed to ask for advice any more? I'm a very low maintenance user of this forum, but wish that people wouldn't offend so easily. I'm going on my first solo trip to Europe & just trying to do research for my vacation.

Thank you to those who did respond ... Frank, I'll post feedback if I get to Bottega Nova (thank you for the suggestion).

Oct 21st, 2000, 02:51 PM
Frank

You're welcome, Heather -
I'll be happy to read your feedback if you get there, but please, in your post just write "B.N." and not "Bottega Nova", or some sensitive guy could get offended )
Sorry "Sick", just kiddin' you...

Have a good time in Italy,
Frank