Reload this Page >

Advice for our drive in Germany & Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 10:51 AM
Lou

My family and I will begin our two-week Germany-Austria-Switzerland vacation next week, and I would be grateful for any advice or perspective on our driving plans. After a couple of nights in Munich, we head south to Reutte, Austria, then west to Appenzell, Switzerland. We then head to Murren for a few days, after which we head north back into Germany, to the Europa Park in Rust, off the A5 autobahn (to keep the kids happy). It's then off to Baden-Baden, and then Rothenburg, before we return to Munich for a last night. I am equipped with Michelin maps #420 for Germany, and #216 & 217 for Switzerland, and I intend to use the ViaMichelin website for point-to-point directions. Any experiences, advice, or perspective would be welcome. Road work? Smarter directions? Thank you.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Ursula

Lou: Sorry, cannot tell you about road works going on. But usually they seem to do that when holiday traffic starts anyway... <BR>But one thing: Summer holidays do start in parts of Switzerland this coming Saturday, June 30 (in Basel) and then on Saturday, July 14 in most other larger towns (like Zurich). So, be prepared to heavy traffic especially on weekends.<BR>Europa Park Rust is a very popular and crowded place sometimes. Make sure to be there early to enjoy the whole day.<BR>Have a great time! ... and it's very hot right now over here in Switzerland. Some 31°C for tomorrow (I guess that's over 90°F).

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Lou

Ursula-- Thanks for your observations and good wishes. --Lou

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Mika

Not only in Switzerland, but also in Germany the school holidays are starting.Ursula is absolutely right about Rust. Have you got hotel reservations near there? Another question:what are you doing with kids in Baden Baden? Are you visiting somebody? If not, it is not quite the place to go with kids unless they are over 60. Think it over. Greetings Mika, Switzerland

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Bob Brown

Where do you plan on leaving your car while you are in Mürren??<BR>

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Lou

Mika-- We have reservations at one of Europa Park's two on-site hotels, which should make it possible to enjoy the park with an early start. I am interested in your observation on Baden-Baden: we won't be there long, but friends had suggested that the kids would enjoy the suitable portions of the Caracalla Baths. I guess we'll see!<BR>Thanks for your comments.<BR>Bob-- We plan to leave our car in Stechelberg (there's a parking lot?) and take the lift up, since our hotel is near the lift...<BR>

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 01:35 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Lou, It sounds like you have done your homework--do I detect a Rick Steves flavor to this? You will have a great time. Let us know how it goes.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 01:43 PM
lou

Bob-- Yes, yes, I admit it: this itinerary certainly borrows fairly heavily from Rick Steves's Germany-Austria-Switzerland book. Reutte, I think, is a dead giveaway, and Appenzell offers a clue as well. As I look at our plans, my only concern is over the number of stops and the amount of driving, but fortunately, my wife loves to drive and has done a lot of driving in Europe. Thanks for your encouraging words-- I'll report back, I hope with happy results... --Lou

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Ian S.

Good plan. I've covered this area several times &amp; about the only thing I'd do (just a personal preference) is to go from Reutte back up through Fuessen &amp; on to rte 12 that goes down to Lindau on the Bodensee, then on to Appenzell. It's a pretty drive &amp; you don't have to put up with the tunnels going through western Austria.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 05:19 AM
Lou

Ian-- Thank you for your very specific tip. --Lou