Advice for March visit to Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter is studying in Rome this semester, we are planning to visit her over spring break (March10-20) myself, husband, 3 other teenage/young adult siblings. Would like hotel recommendations for the St. Peter's area. Also suggestions for side trips...my children would like something warm and with beach. Thanks!
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Am replying to my own message...sorry new at this. I now realize that warm beach is not going to be found in Italy in March. How about warmer and scenic water area..any suggestions?
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:08 PM

What is your budget for hotel and how many per room were you thinking? Have you thought about an apartment?
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:32 AM

I think you wil have a hard time finding anywhere warm in Italy in March. If you are looking for coastal areas, you probably want to consider the Amalfi Coast (Sorrento, Positano, etc.), but it would make for a fairly long daytrip from Rome.

I can't really recommend a hotel. We did stay at the Hotel Ara Pacis last year, and its not too far from Vatican City. While the room was great (very modern, nice terrace, although the smallest room we've stayed at in Italy), there were three flights of stairs to climb because the elevator was broke (and, according to reviews on tripadvisor.com, had been "broke" for a long time). Because of this, and your having children, I probably wouldn't recommend the hotel, but if you want more information you can find it at http://www.hotelarapacis.com/en/index.htm.

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions ...as for hotel we will need 2 rooms...probably mid to upper price range. My daughters apt is on Viale delle Medaglie d'Oro; which I believe is in the Vatican area, and we would like to stay near her. Have been to Rome before, stayed at Hotel Alexandra which was great but not the right location for this trip...looking for something simlilar.
Thanks!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 08:19 AM

Viale Medaglie d'Oro is a very long street stetching from the far northwest corner of Vatican City up to Monte Mario. This isn't a neighborhood with many hotels. The closest may be the Hilton. Two rooms there for 10 days will be close to $10,000. There should be some apartments for rent in that neighborhood that might be a better choice. You could check on the Slowtrav.com website.
As to side trips, unless you go to Sicily, you are probably not going to find warm weather. Although there are exceptional days, mid March is usually rainy and foggy along most of the coastline, even down to Amalfi. You could do a daytrip to Pompeii if that interests your children. Florence, Orvieto, Siena and Assisi are also easy daytrips.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

It is great to get this information, thank you. I should have been clearer about our plans; we will be in Rome the first 2 nights and then hope to go elsewhere and then return to Rome for the end of the visit. We will have a car. Her apt is in the Vatican area..not the best for hotels I'm finding out. Is there anything maybe smaller, less expensive and maybe with more charm than a Hilton?? Again, thank you.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:28 AM

Hotel Alimandi is right by the Vatican Museum entrance. They have a nice assortment of large rooms.