Search

advice for June trip

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
advice for June trip

Hi,

You Fodorites have been terrific for my recent travels!

I want to take my tired medical student daughter on a 7-10 day getaway in June. Could you give me advice on where weather might be best? I took her for a rainy week to Paris in February. considering what might be interesting/somewhat relaxing maybe: Portugal, Iceland, Slovenia, Croatia, Hawaii (Big Island), Galapagos?

She is very well traveled and has been to most of western europe, morocco, western us and turkey.

Thanks for any ideas of best shot at good weather!

Bonnie
Old May 27th, 2006, 12:47 PM

I'd probably be googling all the "last minute" travel sites I could find if I were you. June is rather busy in Europe, but your best bets might be Portugal and Croatia, and depending on where you are flying from, Hawaii.

Good luck!
Old May 27th, 2006, 02:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually, June isn't all that busy in much of Europe - Not like late July/August anyway. Most European schools are still in session so the big rush doesn't happen til later in the summer.

I'd personally pick either Italy, Portugal or my actual favorite - Scotland. In Italy I'd probably spend 3 or 4 days in Venice and the rest in Tuscany or maybe on the Amalfi Coast

Portugal - just about anywhere

Scotland - the daylight hours will be so long and the weather <i>can</i> be glorious (or not so much). But there is Edinburgh and just tons of amazing scenery.

But June is awfully close - you need to get to planning ASAP
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your replies! we have both been to Italy several times, although I could go there many more times.

I was actually thinking about Scotland, having loved it myself many years ago. Or Wales. What would the weather be like there, compared to Portugal or Croatia?

While I normally plan trips further ahead, I have enjoyed last minute trips this year to Paris, Argentina, and Israel.

Bonnie
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The weather in Scotland and Wales won't be like Portugal for sure. But that is a good thing since 85F that far north feels like 100F+ back home in California.

You can never guarantee anything - I've been to Scotland some June's when it was absolutely unbelievably gorgeous (shorts and tees weather) and other June's when it was blustery and cool to cold. And sometimes both during the same trip.

But generally it would be mild and comfortable -possibly some showers. And dusk at 11:00 p.m. or later - I LOVE Scotland in June.
Old May 28th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much for you kind reply!
Bonnie
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:01 PM

Portugal and Croatia are your best bets weather wise. The sea will be warmer in Croatia.

Carolena