Search

Advice for Hotel in Paris -- Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for Hotel in Paris -- Anniversary

Hi Fodorites,
I'm having a really hard time finding a hotel in Paris -- there are so many suggestions that my head is spinning! I'd like the hotel to be special (we will be there for our wedding anniversary). Here are some preferences:
1. We'd like to be in one of the nicer areas where it isn't too 'crazy' or touristy.
2. The idea of staying on a smaller and quieter street sounds nice where we can easily walk to great restaurants, cafes, etc.
3. We want the hotel to feel charming -- with nice furnishing, a good bed, etc.
4. Price: We'd like to stay in the $200 Euro range, but will pay more for something really special (we just don't want to pay $600 Euros to be at the Ritz!)
Any advice?
Thanks!
Bassman
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:27 AM

Have you looked up Leading Hotels of the World website? they are beautiful, ok they are not 200 Euros, but hey, its your anniversary. What year by the way?
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 06:28 AM

Here are a couple for you to investigate:

Hôtel Thérèse - 5-7 rue Thérèse 75001
http://www.hoteltherese.com/
Superior 171€

Hotel La Perle 14, rue des Canettes 75006
http://www.hotel-paris-laperle.com/
Superier 185€
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 07:47 AM
ira

Hi B,

Is that $200 or 200E?

200E = $240.

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 07:56 AM

We had a lovely stay at the Hotel D'Aubbusson, a couple of years back. It is located on a quiet side street, in the St. Germain area. The river is just right down the street and there are many cafes and restaurants in the area. Also, the lobby is lovely with a nice huge fireplace in the sitting area.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 09:39 AM

What time of the year? Pavillon de la Reine in the Marais is extremely appropriate for an anniversary, but only in the late fall to early spring months do they offer a promotional rate of 290 Euros including breakfast. Although I agree with the previous poster about the D'Aubusson, a terrific choice, they are usually a bit higher in price
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 10:09 AM

Also had a lovely stay in the Aubusson, last month. I wouldn't call the rue Dauphine a quiet street. It's quite lively. But it is an nice and interesting street, with some touches of normalcy like a master butcher's shop and a very tempting bakery. The rooms are well-soundproofed (avoid the first floor over the bar-cafe). It's a great hotel. Rates start around 300 euros per night.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 10:54 AM

Would also recommend The Aubusson hotel. Lovely, initimate hotel with a great little bar with live jazz and so close to the Seine, Notre Dame, and the Louvre. I stay there every time I visit Paris.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 12:04 PM

I really like the hotel be ami in the St. Germaine area. Its a beautiful and romantic hotel in a fabulous location and its very fairly priced.

Val Wilson
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 01:11 PM

All I can offer is ancedotal information from a Paris architect, who said he never had finished a project (architects here often supervise renovation and deal with the subcontracting) without suing someone, usually for failing to meet a deadline.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Oops! Sorry for the misplaced post. Nothing to do with your question - or the Aubusson.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 01:51 PM

Well, I check the website:

http://www.hoteldaubusson.com/English/Tariff.html

and their standard room are 230 euros until March 15 and 280 euros after!! That sounds a little over budget but keep the ideas coming. I, too, am looking for an anniversary hotel.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 02:09 PM

How long are you planning to stay in Paris? If it is a week or so why not consider an apartment. Paris Perfect are just beautiful and they are in the 7th which meets your requirements perfectly. It is something to think about.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:03 PM

ParisPerfect apartment rates/per night are much higher than €200 euros, but the apartments and views (of the Tour Eiffel, if that appeals to you) are spectacular. We typically economize as much as possible on lodging, willing to spend a bit extra for location, decor, views. We found one of the ParisPerfect apartments (with it's decor, location, views) positively irresistable, despite the price.

When booking Paris hotels, there are no constants, only variables. So, finding a room in your price range that meets ALL your requirements (and some you may not have thought of yet) can be quite the challenge, especially since you wouldn't know that many of your requirements are quite contractictory - a quieter street will likely be a farther walk from the great restaurant, cafes, etc., a hotel that is charming may not have great beds, often the hotel is charming but the neighborhood is not, or the rooms are charming but the lobby/service is not, or vice versa.

Highly recommend perusing Alastair Sawday's "Special Places to Stay", which is a great resource for getting started.

We've been to Paris many times and typically book a nicely enough located, moderately priced, hotel, with a room with a view.

But, we've also used ParisPerfect once, and will be staying in one of their units again in September. But, the May trip is booked with far more modest prices/accomodations.

Since this is an anniversary trip, you may decide to spend more for all you want. Otherwise, you'll probably have have to prioritize your requirements to meet your budget. On the other hand, just booking the Ritz would not meet your requirements either.

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I suggest the Hotel L'Abbaye on the rue Cassette in the 6th, a quite location near st suplice set back off the street.. A lovely outside garden breakfast area in warm weather, inside, a bar area with a fire going in the cold days and nights.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice. I should have clarified a couple of things:

1. I meant 200 Euros -- $240. I really don't like the idea of spending in the $300 range, but I'll do it if it truly kicks things up a notch.

2. I'm going in May for 3 nights (2 weeks for all of France, but only 3 nights of which will be in Paris).

3. Our 4th year wedding anniversary. My wife will also be about 6 months pregnant then, so I want to make sure we have a nice bed.

4. I posted "quiet" area but I should have clarified that what I really want is a not to heavily populated "tourist" area. A street that seems normal (like the one posted above) sounds fantastic.

I'll start reviewing some of your suggestions and get back on what I find. Keep them coming if you have any other ideas!

Thanks!
Bassman
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 10:58 AM

We enjoyed our stay last October at Hotel Victoria Palace--in the 6th, but very near the 14th, and all the restaurants on Blvd. Montparnasse.

http://www.victoriapalace.com/

Byrd
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:49 PM

Try the Mansart, on a small street off the Place Vendôme. It's very Old Paris, with antique furniture and very nice staff. The superior rooms are of a good size, are the bathrooms.

Just down the street from the hotel are a post office, pharmacy, and ATM. The Ritz is just around the corner. this hotel is quite popular with Europeans; you need to reserve well in advance.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:06 PM

I recommend the Select Hotel. Great location, great prices, and nice, modern beds. Click around it's website, but here are the prices:

http://www.selecthotel.fr/tarifs/us_tarifs.htm

The location simply can't be beat. It sits in front of a small plaza, just a few steps away from most everything I enjoy in Paris, but without any traffic noise.

It is charming yet modern. Whether it is knockout charming, I don't know. But the prices are so reasonable, you can book a luxury double at 189 euro.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:13 PM

Actually, I'm going to change my mind about recommending the Select because the beds are not always spacious, and your wife might need a generously sized bed to be comfortable.

And I'm a little concerned it's not quite romantic enough either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -