Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

advice: belfast and/or the antrim coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Darcie

Hello,<BR><BR>We are planning a very short trip (1 week) to Ireland for a wedding in July. We're flying<BR>into Belfast, hiring a car, then heading to Dublin for the first three nights. We'll then<BR>return to the North for the wedding in Bangor (Co. Down, outside of Belfast).<BR><BR>My question: we'll have Saturday and Sunday free to explore before flying out of Belfast International around 11 a.m. Monday. We have a few choices: visit Belfast, or drive up the Antrim coast and explore the glens, or continue on to the Giant's causeway and Bushmills. I'm looking for some advice on what is "do-able"!<BR><BR>Some thoughts: <BR>- we'd rather not try to cram too much into this time. We were thinking about staying in Belfast for both Sat/Sun nights, and driving up the coast to the Causeway on Sunday. Is this far too much for one day?<BR><BR>- I'm not sure about Belfast on July 21/22.. not the best time for a visit, especially in light of the recent flares of violence.<BR><BR>Advice?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Darcie

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Ann

You can do the Antrim Coast drive in one day, including Giant's Causeway and the Bushmill's tour. It's a long day, but it's really not too bad. Not sure if Bushmill's is open on Sunday, but if it is, that's a good day to do the drive.<BR><BR>I would take Saturday to wander around Belfast. It won't be as crowded as it normally is, as a lot of people go on vacation around the July 12th marching season. Stop at the visitors' center and get a map of the city. Great city just to wander around, as it's not very big.<BR><BR>Where are you staying in Belfast? It's likely that you'll be well away from the Ardoyne, which is where the current problems are centered. However, you're hitting Belfast smack in the middle of marching season. But it's major affect on you will be road closures. So make sure you leave plenty of time to get back north from Dublin for the wedding.<BR><BR>By the way, you'll have a great time at the wedding. And don't listen to people who tell you that you have to wear at hat. Some women do at weddings over there, but most (particularly under the age of 35) don't. Be prepared to drink a lot (and pay for it--open bars are rare at weddings over there) and dance a lot.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 05:55 PM
Darcie

Ann--thanks very much for your reply!<BR><BR>In Belfast, we haven't booked yet, but we'll try to stay in the University area, I imagine. It's not the threat of violence that scares me... I'm just thinking that perhaps Belfast won't be at it's best, and is best left for a future trip?<BR><BR>thanks again,<BR>Darcie

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 07:16 PM
Joe

What Ann said! I'd drive up the Antrim Coast on the first day, stopping at Andrew Jackson's Ancestral Home (a recreation), Carrickfergus Castle, stop ata couple of the Antrim Glens, see the Giant Causeway and stay in the area of Bushmill's; lots of B&amp;Bs and Bushmill's Inn is great). Take the Bushmill's Tour on Sunday (if they give tours on Sunday}, wander Portrush (a working man's resort area) and double back to Ballycastle to catch the A2 and the very scenic trip back to Belfast (catch 894 when you come to it). Belfast is interesting. You will have some time left on Sunday when you get back. But, in my opinion, what you will see by taking the trip above is much more rewarding than touring Belfast. The people, however, are wonderful. Have a great time.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 07:38 AM
Ann

If you're planning future trips, then yes, you can leave Belfast until some other time.<BR><BR>I've also heard good things about the Bushmills Inn.<BR><BR>Jury's has a hotel in Belfast now, and it's a nice place, and not too expensive. It's right near the Europa Hotel. It's not in the University area, but it's a good central location. It's also very near the Crown Bar and Robinson's--and easy stumble home. There are a few hotels closer to Queens, but I can't remember any names.<BR><BR>Don't miss the Carrick-a-Rede bridge along the coast (unless you're scared of heights). Also, Dunluce Castle (ruins) is cooly spooky.<BR><BR>For food in Belfast, you can't beat Nick's Warehouse for lunch or Deane's for dinner (might be a dress code for Deane's--I'm not sure). Or go to the other extreme, and hit Bishop's for fish and chips.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 08:11 AM
Diane

Oh my goodness. I've actually been to Bangor! Even though it was about 30 years ago...I do hope it is as dear a little town as it was then. Have a wonderful time. Back then, ladies used to enjoy a lager 'n lime.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 09:29 AM
Darcie

I think perhaps will leave Belfast for another time.<BR><BR>Does anyone have any suggestions for B&amp;B or guest house close to the International Airport at Belfast?<BR><BR>Thanks to everyone for their replies!