Reload this Page >

Adventure Travel In Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Escritora

My bias, really. When I think of travel to Europe, I think in terms of cities, museums, art, culture, and so forth. When I think of adventure travel, I think of other continents: my trip to the Galapagos last year, prowling about ancient archaeological ruins in Asia or Latin America, and so forth. Would love to hear of your adventure travels in Europe!

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Escritora

OK--so maybe it's not just my bias?

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 05:33 PM
Linda

Escritora, you might try the eastern side of Turkey. Ruins, but it's a very remote area. You'll see a form of life you didn't think existed in Europe any more. Just very, very different.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Lauren

On one home exchange, my son and I went whitewater rafting in Austria. The trips down the Imster Schluct leave from outside Imst. Hang gliding (jumping off cliffs) was available near there. My son was interested, but Mom put the kabosh on that one. <BR> <BR>Whitewater rafting is also available in Interlaken, Switzerland. I do find rafting is an outdoor activity that both parents and children can enjoy.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 05:45 PM
Amy

Hmmm, let's see.... <BR>1. Hiking around the boiling mud pools in Iceland was pretty adventurous, 'cause I'm a klutz, and exploring Greenland <BR>2. Getting lost in Russia was an adventure in 1984 (those evil empire years, and guess what? a lovely bus driver actually put us back on the bus and took us to where we needed to go) <BR>3. exploring the cliffs of Cabo da Roca in Portugal on a windy day <BR>4. crossing the street in Istanbul... <BR>As you see, no full adventure holidays, but lots of kind of adventurous things! My most "nature oriented" vacation, hiking in the Swiss Alps, just can't count as an adventure. Lovely, wonderful, fun, yes--but Switzerland is so incredibly organized it sorta precludes big adventures!

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 05:46 PM
grasshopper

Our trip to Greece was definitely adventurous. We chartered a sailboat and even though we got the skipper with it we learnd to sail among the Greek Isles... pretty cool. Also, exploring Meteora and Delphi were adventurous. Biking in Italy and France provide plenty of adventure. Renting bikes and riding around an Italian lake rates on my adventure list. Next adventurous trips for me will be outside of Europe though; Machu Pichu and Egypt.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 06:04 PM
Marc David Miller

Although not in Europe (Siberia is in Asia) I spend a week in the Lake Baikal region in June/July, including two days on an island the size of Long Island with less than 2,000 inhabitants. Drove to the northern end of the island, with a driver, guide, Buryat navigator and a translator, the scariest car ride of my life (the translator told her friends that it was like being in the Camel Trophy competition).

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:23 AM
EP

Lapland, western Europes last wilderness. Hiking (you can walk for days without meeting a single living soul that hasnīt fur or feathers). Skiing. Reindeer or dog sledge safaris that can last days. White wate rafting and salmon fishing. Midnight sun or perpetual darkness.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:39 AM
Book Chick

The son of one of my friends went to Switzerland with his college roommate & they climbed a glacier together. (Requires the proper tools & those attachments on one's boots with the little metal teeth that clamp into the snow & ice.) Sounded pretty adventuresome to me! <BR>BC

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 08:34 AM
andi

Check out gorp.com (great outdoor recreation pages). It's a compendium of lots of adventure travel websites - hiking, biking, rafting trips, etc.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Lesley

Try hiking in the Abruzzo national Park in Italy. Not far off the beaten track but truly excellent climbs and good hiking trails. Avoid the trails that start in the major towns in favour of off-road stuff: you will need a map! Wolves hawks and bears all easily observable, and some surprising ruins from monastic hermits of the 1-5the centuries.

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 09:04 PM
ttt

ttt<BR>