Search

additional follow up York to Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2018, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
additional follow up York to Edinburgh

All (but especially JanisJ and Gardyloo),

Thank you for the comments on my earlier posts. I've now nailed down dates, and starting to do more research, including the responses I received from my last two posts. I'll certainly look more at Undiscovered Scotland.

Based on earlier advice, I moved my trip from beginning around July 10 to beginning June 20, so as to lessen the crowds. I'll be leaving North America on Thursday evening, June 20, and arriving in London Friday morning at 8:00 AM. Since I'll be using FF miles to get two business class seats, it turns out I have to fly Round-trip through Heathrow. It's over twice as many miles to fly in and out from two different cities (i.e, Edinburgh and Glasgow or Manchester), and almost twice as many miles to fly in and out of any of those cities. Since we'll be in London, my wife wants to spend a few days there. She likes cities more, I like rural more, so we compromise.

I'll be staying in London the nights of the 21, 22, and 23. We've scoped out the usual suspects. If anyone has any ideas for good places that aren't generally among the highly talked about places, please let me know. For example, on my prior trip to London, when I had younger children, they absolutely loved the London Brass Rubbing Center.

On Monday, the 24th, we're going to take an express train to either Edinburgh or York. We will start in one and finish in the other. We will take the train back from the second location to London on Friday, July 5. Our return flight leaves Heathrow at noon on Saturday July 6. That leaves us 11 nights in non-London locations.

We've been to Edinburgh a few years ago, so we're not going to see Edinburgh Castle again, although we haven't been to Hollyrood yet, and plan to do so. Already done the Edinburgh Scotch Whisky Experience, etc. We were in Edinburgh for three days last time. Any great ideas on what to see there? We think it makes sense to do two nights each in Edinburgh and York, leaving 7 additional nights. In our last trip to Scotland, we basically spent 14 days going from Edinburgh/Glasgow to the Caledonian Canal. The furthest South we went was to Rosslyn Chapel.

Based on prior comments, I think that we'll try and book two or three nights at Traquair House, west of Melrose. I believe that this is in the Borders.

Other places which look interesting (based on these threads, maybe they're not so hot, haven't researched yet) are:

Bamburgh
Alnwick
Durham
Borders Abbeys
Castle Howard
Ruins in Dirleton and Tantallon
Hadrian's wall
Lennoxlove
Mellerstain
Manderston
Wandering the Rivers Tweed and Teviot
Hermitage castle.

Some people have suggested that we go to the Dales or the Lakes district in England. Others have also suggested Dumfries and Galloway. Finally there's the Coastal contingent.

Based on the schedule of days I set forth earlier in this post, what are the best ideas? What days do you recommend I go where?

Thanks.

Steve
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 08:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just a quick comment right now - it's late and I'm catching a flight home I the early AM. With a noon flight home I'd really consider something like: train to York, four nights in the area (York city, castle Howard and moors, and the Dales) Alnwick or Bamburgh 2 or 3 nights for Hadrian's wall and Alnwick, etc. Traquair house two nights, two nights Edinburgh, the fly down to LHR early AM on the 6th.

That would give you 12 non- London nights and save having to stay in London an additional night.
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 11:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, you'll need a couple more days to say fit in Fountains Abbey/Ripon with a drive over the Dales say to Bolton Abbey and back to York as one day with another day for going to castle Howard and maybe a touch into the North York Moors NP. That excludes all the fine cities such as Leeds, the West Yorkshire Sculpture park, the Hepworth, anything to do with the Brontes etc etc.

Probably best to start here https://www.yorkshire.com/
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 07:24 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, I'm biased; in my opinion the area between Edinburgh and Yorkshire along the east coast is one of the most interesting and lovely parts of the whole UK, so looking at your rough timetable leaves me both envious and a little guarded on what to say. But here goes.

Unless you don't mind a plan that's basically a drive-by road trip, you're going to have to trim your stops significantly. This is such a "target-rich" environment that you'll risk zigzagging and backtracking around the countryside, at the expense of all else. Now maybe that's okay, in which case go for it. But if not, here are some (admittedly personal) thoughts and recommendations. Others will chime in, probably to disagree. Fine.

Traquair House. Marvelous, historic, famous for its on-site brewery. (Back in the day, the ale produced there was one of very few "micro-brews" available in Scotland.) BUT... staying there means you're quite some distance (in hours, not miles) from a lot of other things and places that you might enjoy. As always, it's about the time trade-offs. What about some other place that's a bit closer to the east coast and some of the stately homes you've listed in your research? For example... Prestonfield House. Prestonfield is a grand old house with splendid grounds (including some Highland cattle) located in the Duddingston district of Edinburgh. Duddingston is basically on the other side of Holyrood Park from the Palace of Holyroodhouse; you could walk from the hotel to the Palace in half an hour or so through the park, almost like a stroll through some Highland countryside, surrounded by gorse, broom and heather. Would a couple of nights there be an acceptable stand-in for Traquair House? It might be a "twofer" - a good base for visiting Edinburgh (by no means in the congested central part of the city, but still in the city) as well as some time in an historic house. You might also look at places like Letham House, located in the East Lothian countryside not far from the very pleasant and historic town of Haddington.

Dirleton, Tantallon Castle, and Dunbar. All marvelous. The A198 is a fab road. But the whole region is full of fab roads and picturesque waterfront villages, all the way down to the English border and beyond. If that's a priority, go for it, but be mindful that there are some equally sensational locations farther south, along the Northumberland and Yorkshire coasts.

The overland option. I am particularly fond of an overland approach to the Northumbrian coast, across the Lammermuir Hills. Here's a map showing one possible route: https://goo.gl/maps/HeXs2qR995U2 . This includes the very picturesque village of Gifford, then it crosses the lonely and lovely Lammermuirs, eventually making its way to the old Borders village of Duns, then past Manderston House and across the Tweed into England. It includes Etal, with a nice wee ruined castle and the most northerly thatched pub in England, then out to the coast and across the tidal causeway to the Holy Island of Lindisfarne, the cradle of Christianity in the north of England.

Lammermuirs scene, courtesy of the Google.

From there, it's simply a southbound road trip all the way to York. By all means see Bamburgh (see the castle from both the village and beach sides - amazing) and Alnwick Castle. Head inland to see the Housteads fort and Hadrian's Wall, then spend at least one day in Durham. I'd then head back out to the North Yorkshire coast and North York Moors National Park, before ending in York. Second map - https://goo.gl/maps/i4QJaAaLaz52

If it was me, I'd keep the car and use it for a day trip or two out of York - Fountains Abbey for example, then I'd actually drive to Heathrow rather than fussing with the train to Kings Cross then more surface yoga out to the airport. Driving wouldn't be a lot longer, probably cheaper, and if you wanted to spend the last night someplace in the countryside within easy striking distance of the airport, or maybe in Windsor, no problem.

Like I say, there's no shortage of worthy targets for those 11 nights, so it merits some further research on your part to set priorities. Happy planning!

Edited to add: I've done this north-to-south, which is my preferred route. If you go south-to-north, then the train in both directions probably makes more sense.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Dec 11th, 2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 07:46 AM

I haven't read all of Gardyloo 's post (leaving for ORD in a few minutes so I'll have to read the rest when I get to the Admirals Club) and the rest of it may convince me . . . BUT fitting Traquair House in would be one of my 'musts'. It is a unique experience and an absolute bargain for a 'stately home' stay. It is smack dab in the middle of the Borders so all the Abbeys, St Abb's Head, Abbotsford, etc etc are right there. And it would be a logical stop between Northumberland and Edinburgh.

just my (preliminary) 2 cents . . .
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you all. I've been travelling for a few days, and for some reason, I can't log in on my laptop like I do on my desktop, although I use the same password. That's why I haven't thanked you sooner.

I'd still like to see what JanisJ thinks.

Gardyloo: that was very complete. Thank you. Bibloburgler - I know that you've replied on my earlier messages, and I appreciate the continued help.

If anyone else has ideas, they're welcomed. I anticipate doing considerable research based on these and earlier ideas during the Holiday break.
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 11:17 AM

I think you can have a terrific trip AND stay at Traquair. Prestonfield is VERY nice/posh even (haven't stayed there but have dined and had afternoon tea a couple of times). But I think it would cost significantly more - as much as twice the cost of Traquair, and maybe more. You'd have to play with your dates because Traquair only has the 3 rooms so you'd have to find when they have availability and arrange the itinerary a bit to fit what they have.

I'd play with the 12 nights as I mentioned up thread