Search

add an extra night to Lauterbrunnen or Obernai

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
add an extra night to Lauterbrunnen or Obernai

Hi Everyone,
I have been extensively researching this portion of our trip this coming September. I am just falling in love with the Jungfrau region, due in part to bob brown's descriptions. We will be staying at Chalet Horner for six nights.

In doing my daily itineraries, there is just so much to do and see and even though we will have a car, so much time is spent on the trains and trams just getting around the area.

We will have five full days, of which four will be spent in the Jungfrau region with a day trip to the Interlaken area.

Once we leave Lauterbrunnen we will head to Obernai for four nights and then it is off the Bielstein and Haus Lipman.

My question is this: Should I add one more night on to our Lauterbrunnen stay and cancel the first night at Obernai? That will still give us two days for the Alsace region with one day trip to Strasbourg. Is this enough time to enjoy this region.

I just want to enjoy our time in the Lauterbrunnen area and not have to rush to see everything...plus it just sounds so relaxing. What would you do???

Thanks for the input,
Michele
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Or...should I take one night from our four night stay at Beaune before coming to Lauterbrunnen. And maybe one night from Obernai also? I think I just want to spend more time in the Bernese Oberland region. Can you tell?

Ughhh!!! Too many places to see...so little time!

Help me...Michele
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 08:41 AM

You want to see everything, yet you don't want to rush. In addition, you want time to relax. Those could be conflicting requirements, but if you are serious about relaxing you might just stay in either place longer. My choice would be to wander up and down the Lauterbrunnen valley, slowly and with no particular objective. Stop and smell the roses -- or whatever is in bloom. Good luck.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 08:45 AM

It sounds well balanced to me. I don't know what exactly you plan to do around Beaune and haven't been there myself yet, so I cannot comment on that part of your trip. But I have been to the Alsace before and think you will need three full days there. Calculate one full day for Strasbourg, one for the cute villages, one for a trip to the mountains (Haut-Koenigsbourg castle e.g.) and/or maybe Colmar. And there is wine tasting and such ...

Six nights in the Jungfrau area are not enough, agreed, but you will get a very good impression of the various places and views. Lauterbrunnen is centrally enough so that you can quickly get to the places you plan to see. Better come back for another stay later.

I.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 11:29 AM

Know what, I don't have good answer got you! And I seem to be the one who caused the problem!!

I fell in love with the Swiss Alps in 1998, my first visit. We have been back to Chalet Horner several times since then.

Right now because of ill health I am faced with the prospect of not going at all this year. Real bummer.

Hopefully I will be able to talk my doctor into a trip, but that is undecided at the moment.

Our visits have led us to many places. Perhaps the most intriguing was the day we visited the Kiental. I had never heard of the Hundefälle, a glorious cascade down the steep side of the mountain. We opted for the bus up that 28% grade, which we decided was wise choice for us although people did drive their cars to Griesalp.

Other trips in the car to Engstligenfalls and a day-long excursion to Schaffhausen and the falls of the Rhein and visits to Ballenberg and the crest of the Grimsel Pass to escape the heat (90 degrees !!)

Yes there is a lot to do in the area. So the question is this: Linger and savor? Or run on to the next objective? Me? I like to stay for a while.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 11:30 AM

Groan. A good answer FOR you.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi Wayne,
That's exactly right. I think we will need some time to relax. This week in Lauterbrunnen is smack dab in the middle of our three month trip around Europe. I love the idea of doing nothing and relaxing and resting up for the second half of our trip. Days with no particular schedule sound wonderful.

Ingo,
That's what I thought was a good time frame for the Alsace region. Since we plan on visiting Colmar and the southern wine route on the way to Obernai that just might work out.

Bob, Bob, Bob,
You've so inspired me with your writings about the Swiss Alps. I'm so very sorry about your health at this moment. Actually I understand thoroughly.

Last year at this time I was partially paralyzed and we had thought seriously of canceling this trip. As I began to recuperate we decided to wait and see and although not fully back to 100% we are going through with this trip. In the middle of it all my dear sweet mother passed away suddenly.

It seems as though life really throws us a curve ball sometimes, but things happen for a reason and this has made me slow down and appreciate things even that much more. I know...put it on a greeting card, but it's true. Until you go through something like this you really don't know how it will change your life and your outlook.

Bob, I'm sorry your life is on hold right now...but as you get better you have wonderful memories that will last you until you are able to go again. I will say hello to Theresa for you when we visit, and tell her you will be back soon.

Life is just too short to not enjoy it as much as possible. I've made up my mind. We will take those extra days and add them onto Lauterbrunnen.

Thank you,
Michele
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 12:55 PM
ira

Hi md,

You can't see/do everything in one visit.

You have barely enough time in Alsace as is.

Your plan looks very well balanced.

The BO will be there on your next visit.