Reload this Page >

Accomodation on the outskirts of Naples with a car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Nancy

We want to visit Naples for a couple of days this July. We are interested in going to Pompei, Heracuneum, the archeological museum in Naples and possibly Vesuvio. We also want to try Naple's famous pizza. We don't want to stay as far away as the Amalfi Coast. Has anyone stayed in Torre del Greco, Torre Annunziata, Castellammare? I can't find any reviews on hotels in these areas in any of the tour books.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 04:25 PM
nancy

Nancy <BR>we are staying in Formia, north of Naples.not sure it is any closer than other places. <BR>Not much in US books, but big with german and Italians. <BR>There is a hotel site <BR>www.atenatour.it. <BR>

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 06:16 PM
xxx

This is a review that I copied from another website within the past year. I think it's in the area where you are interested in staying. Check out the website. <BR> <BR>"SELIANO ESTATE FOR AGRITOURISM, Paestum: Our second favorite place (in Italy). Our room here was a huge triple in a recent addition with a modern, tiled, private bath and expensive antique furnishings. The room was downright luxurious and this was another incredible deal at only $65 US. In addition to the sites of Paestum, you can ride horses, attend culinary school, visit with the farm animals, or take a short walk to the beach. The hotel is on the grounds of a lovely estate with a swimming pool. They <BR>offer culinary courses so you can imagine how good the food is. This was our other favorite meal. For $15 per person, we had gourmet food, unlimited wine (!), dessert and lemoncello - absolutely wonderful!! They also have a web site: www.agriturismo-seliano.it/" <BR>

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Linda

Paestum is further away from Naples than the Amalfi Coast. I personally don't recommend staying in any of those cities. Probably the reason you can't find anything in the tour books is that very, very few tourists stay there. They tend to be industrial and crowded, lacking in charm or attractions. I highly suggest you stay one of two places. Either stay in Naples itself, and really experience the city, or stay in Sorrento, only a few on-train-minutes further from Naples than the three cities you mention. It's has charm and is convenient to all the places you want to go. Besides, the one of the best places for Neapolitan pizza is in Sorrento. Just ask at your hotel for the "restaurant with the 6-foot pizza". They'll know the place. (By the way, you can get smaller pizzas too.)

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Graziella

Hi Nacy not in the Torre del Greco but some time ago we spent one night at a hotel I believed called Grand Hotel La Medusa, it was near the archeological site and it was pleasant. I t must have been a four star hotel.Good luck.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 05:34 PM
Celeste

Naples is a great experience but I think you might want to look into the Vomero area (one famous hotel is Grand Parkers), which overlooks the city and is lovely, or the area along the waterfront between Mergellina (port) and the Old Castle. I bought a wonderful book on Naples from Borders Books that had great hotel information in it. I recommend something like that in addition to thr websites.