Accomodation in Matera

Old Feb 27th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accomodation in Matera

Hello all!
We will be stopping in Matera for 2 nights on our way to Calabria from Le Marche. Has anyone stayed at the Caveoso Hotel as there are such mixed reviews on TripAdvisor? Does anyone have other recommendations?
Also I read about a cycle tour around the sassi district which sounded interesting. Has anyone done this?
Thank you in advance,
Ozlinz
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 07:49 PM

Ozlinz, I hope you are still waiting for replies. I meant to do this yesterday, but didn't get a chance.

You are so lucky to be going to Matera. We went in 08 and LOVED it. I may be partial because my family are Materese, but what a fabulous place.

We stayed at Locanda di San Martino. They get better reviews on trip advisor than Caveoso does, but I don't know if that matter to you. We were able to bargain a little on the room price, in email exchanges. The place was comfortable and the staff was very helpful. We got in a huge heap of trouble on the way into town, as my husband was speeding. We would have been lost without the helpful young staff at the hotel.

Matera has fabulous food. I eat a lot in Italy, and Matera is one of my favorite dining places.

The modern art museum is fantastic.

Just a trememdous town.

I am sorry to say that I don't know anything about biking, but it would sort of have to be around the Sassi, since there are so many streets that are steps.

I'm glad I went back and found your question. If you have any more that I can help with, ask away.

I can tell you that it is in my future plans to go back to Matera.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you tuscanlifeedit! Your post oozes enthusiasm for Matera - we are very excited about staying there! I'm torn between San Martino & Residence San Giorgo - they both look terrific!
Has anybody else done any day tours of the area? (apart from the cycle tour) Are there any other sights you would highly recommend?
Thanks, Ozlinz
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 08:22 AM
kja

I thought Matera was fascinating! The sassi in town are easily explored on foot. Is the cycle tour for the sassi outside of town?

In the town, be sure to visit the cave churches as well as the churches of the newer part of town. I also enjoyed the small Museo Nazionale Ridola.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 04:40 PM

The evening passeggiata is lovely. Views all around town are fantastic. There are some fun shops in the newer town.

I wanna come!
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 01:48 PM

We just returned from Matera. What an amazing place. . .I quickly wanted to recommend the place we stayed. It is called La Dolce Vita. The rooms were impeccably clean and beautifully built into a cave. Vincenzo and his wife could not have been a better hosts. Vincenzo, being a Matera-native can answer any questions you have about the area. Our entire stay was wonderful.