Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Accomodation at stazione central in Naples?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 08:35 AM
tri

I followed Rick Steves' recommendation and booked Hotel Ginevra on via Genova 116. It's incredibly cheap. But it's around the stazione centrale. I have a travel companion but I would like someone to give me a sense of the district. Is it the like the Bronxe in New York City? Is common sense enough to deal with the situation? How petty is the crime? Is it safe to walk there at late night? <BR>Thanks <BR>

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 02:00 PM
kam

Common city sense should be all you need. It's not the greatest area, but I wouldn't call it the Bronx either. There was a New York Times travel article all about Naples not long ago. If you look for their website, it was in the "sophisticated traveler" column.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 10:53 PM
Celeste

I am currently in Naples and can tell you that you definitely don't want to be in the main train station area at night! I'm not even fond of the area in the daytime! <BR> <BR>If you can spend a little more money (maybe $100 per night) and want to be in a nice place in a nice area, check into Hotel Pinto Storey (www.pintostorey.it), a very nice art-deco place at Piazza Amadeo, a nice neighborhood right on the bus and metro lines. <BR> <BR>Or there's Hotel Parteno on Via Partenope, a beautiful area on the water (try http://parteno.hpe.it) for about the same price. This is located at Piazza Vittoria. <BR> <BR>If you must stay in the budget category, consider Le Fontane al Mare, also in the above area along the waterfront. About $60 double.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 04:02 PM
tri

Thanks Celeste. I am booking the hotel you suggested.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 12:20 AM
joedy

There is also hotel Canada in Mergellina.It is a nice area of town by the water, near a metro stop. However, I live in Naples now (have for over 2 months now) and I often go to the Stazione Centrale area. I think it is not so bad. I think that people have a prejudice toward those less fortunate than they are and automatically think they are out to get them or something. The Italians that I work with say that it would only be dangerous if you (are dumb enough to) wear gold jewelry in obvious places. I have yet to hear first hand of anyone experiencing any sort of remotely violent crime. I did have one friend who bought a cell phone off a guy in a moped only to discover that it was a fake plastic one after the guy sped off...but in my opinion my friend deserved it for being silly enough to agree to the transaction in the first place.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 04:22 AM
tri

Thanks Joedy for your reply. <BR>I have read everything I could read on Naples and I also got a sense that it's not a war zone but one should be at the height of alertness at all times. Naples is the first destination of the 2 week long beautifully-planned vacation. I figure there'll be wine and wine and alot of late eating.I thought it was worth paying more for a safe neighorhood since I will be tipsy to say the least. <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 05:52 PM
Linda

I lived in the Naples area for 3 1/2 years and experienced absolutely NO violent crime, nor did any of my many friends. Crimes there are crimes against property, i.e., theft. Be alert, don't carry valuables (or a purse, for that matter), etc., and IMHO you will be fine anywhere in the Naples area.