Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Accommodation in South Tuscany (looking for suggestions)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are preparing a 5-day stay in south Tuscany for the next Easter. As it is a family holiday (we are 7 of us) we have thought in renting an apartment or a house (agriturismo) but we have noticed that all that kind of houses are rented weekly (from saturday to saturday) and, according to our trip dates, this is not convenient for us. For this reason, now we are looking for a nice B&B in a farm or a rural hotel. We are looking for a special place in Val d’Orcia area (near Pienza, Montepulciano,...), that we have already visisted in summer, or near Cortona. We have consulted the on-line guides Karen Brown and Special places to stay but if anybody can make a suggestion I would be very grateful.
Has anybody stayed in Castello Ripa d’Orcia or Castello di Gargonza?
Thanks
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 04:28 AM

There's a lot of great information on slowtrav.com.

Even if you're only going to be in Tuscany for 5 days, it still might be less expensive to book an apartment for a week. Some landlords might be flexible with your dates since it's not high season. I think it's worth checking out.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 09:20 AM

alex2,
Try La Crociona http://www.lacrociona.com/ near Montalcino. They rent for less than a week or let you have weekly rentals that start other than Saturday.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 09:23 AM

We stayed at La Saracina between Montepulciano and Pienza. We had a large room with an even larger bathroom! I believe they have at least one apartment type accomodation. I think they are listed in Karen Brown. southern Tuscany was our favorite part.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 10:15 AM

We stayed in Southern Tuscany at a wonderful place called Il Patriarca near Chuisi. The room, the hotel and the grounds were fabulous. I found this picture although this isn't who we booked through.
http://www.tuscany.net/patriarca/
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 11:05 AM

I am a lover of Southern Tuscany too. Cortona is a great area as is Val d'Orcia.
Last summer we stayed near Val d'Orcia at an agritourismo called ipianelli in/near Murlo. It is a beautiful place (with pool, ping pong, foosball, outdoor grills etc) that I highly recommend.
The website is ipianelli.com . The owner might accomodate your dates. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 06:29 PM

I recommend Il Casalone, a beautiful agriturismo outside of Montepulciano that rents 3 room (Bedroom and livingroom/kitchen, and bath) apartments that sleep 4 (sofa sleeper and double bedroom) for 90E for the first 2 nights and 35E for each night thereafter during that time of year. Weekly rentals are 220E. You could split up and have 2 apartments side by side, giving you a little more room to spread out. It has a pool, and lovely grounds and outside BBQ areas.
www.ilcasalone.it