accommodation in S. Dordogne villages

Dec 20th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

accommodation in S. Dordogne villages

Hello
After previous postings re south west France, we have decided (with much help from fodorites) to spend time in the southern parts of the Dordogne.
We are 3 couples from New Zedaland, who love wining and dining, places of historic interest and would like reccommendations of places to stay-maybe in a village or at least in walking distance thereof.
We are going on the Baisse river first, then driving in the Basque country.
Many anticipatory thanks!
Amaryllis
Dec 20th, 2004, 10:04 AM

There are villages all over the southern Dordogne, and all of them have or are near good food and wine and places of historical interest. What sort of accommodation are you looking for? Hotel, B&B, chambre d'hôte? A village with or without commerce? What sort of budget do you have in mind?
Dec 20th, 2004, 10:04 AM
ira

Hi a,

Here are a few links to get you started.

http://www.dordognerental.com/idor.html

http://www.dordogne-perigord.com/

http://www.best-of-perigord.tm.fr/ba...s/anglais.html

Dec 20th, 2004, 10:19 AM

How long will you be staying in the Dordogne??? If you will be there for a week starting on a Saturday, I would recommend that you rent a Gite near the Dordogne River around Beynac, Domme, etc. You could get a nice 3 or 4 bedroom/2 bath place for less than $1,200 a week (in June or Sept) The beautiful 2 bedroom/1 Ba Gite we have rented several times in the past & again for next Sept is about $750/wk.

Stu Dudley
San Mateo (San Francisco), Ca

Sorry, I don't divulge the names of Gites we've stayed in - I don't want to increase the competition for them.
Dec 20th, 2004, 10:26 AM

Check out the Gites de France web site. You can browse by geographical area, specify the range of luxury or non-luxury, and it will give you an idea of price ranges for B&Bs and longer stays.
Dec 26th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Hello
Many thanks for your advice-I am really looking for charming B&Bs, but realize people do not want to reveal their favourites. I'll keep looking on the websites.
Amaryllis
Dec 26th, 2004, 11:34 PM

For me it is not a question of keeping a secret. It's just that I used Gites de France in Normandy and Brittany with gret success and have no need of their services in the Dordogne.
Dec 27th, 2004, 04:03 AM
ira

Hi amaryllis,

>...realize people do not want to reveal their favourites....<

It's not that.

Could you give us a clue as to your itinerary?

Dec 27th, 2004, 08:38 AM

Michael - I don't understand this statement:

>>> I used Gites de France in Normandy and Brittany with gret success and have no need of their services in the Dordogne.<<<

Do you not have need of their services because you have no plans to visit the Dordogne, or have you found another way to rent Gites & bypass their services.

Perhaps you are only talking about B&Bs, and not multi-bedroom houses with kitchens, living rooms, pools, etc - which is what I'm use to renting for a week or more.

We've rented over 18 different Gites (not B&Bs) - many of them multiple times. There are over 40,000 Gites offered by the program. All are advertised in their 80+ booklets and also on-line. About half of the ones we've rented must be rented directly from the proprietor. The other half are rented through the Gites de France office in the specific department where the Gite is located.

Gites are the only way we can afford to spend over 2 months in France each year. They average about 400-500E per week in June & Sept, for a 3 "wheatie" Gite. If you have found a less expensive or better option, please let us know.

Stu Dudley
San Mateo (San Francisco), Ca
Dec 27th, 2004, 08:42 AM

Stu Dudley--I stay in a private house in the Dordogne, but have used Gites de France for stays elsewhere. My assumption is that I would be as satisfied with their B&B listings in the Dordogne as I was with those we3 used in Brittany and Normandy.