Reload this Page >

Accident in Italy

Search

Accident in Italy

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2001, 08:59 PM
Carolyn

Accident in Italy

Travelling by rental car around Florence / Pisa / CT. Any advice on what to do if you're in an accident ...

Old May 29th, 2001, 09:03 PM
Art

Hi Carolyn, make sure that you have full insurance coverage and an international license.

Old May 30th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Holly

And be wearing clean underwear.

Old May 30th, 2001, 08:53 AM
jeannine

To: Holly <BR> <BR>thank you for making me laugh!!!

Old May 30th, 2001, 02:35 PM
Diane

Buy travel accident insurance, know what your "home" plan will cover. As far as collision, car damage, etc. you can't rent a car in Italy withough the insurance. We just got back from 3 weeks, and for about 17 days were driving (except when car was parked outside Venice and in Florence). It wasn't at all difficult once you catch on to the signing system. And keep your eyes open at intersections: stop signs are optional, and motorbikes don't have to obey traffic signals.

Old May 30th, 2001, 02:54 PM
paisano

Ditch the Fiat and run in different directions.Meet back at the hotel, grab your passports and get to the airport.If their legal system runs as well as the trains or phones,it's your best bet.

Old May 30th, 2001, 03:54 PM
peter

be advised. there is a difference between an accident and an incident. in italy an accident is an incident with personal injury involved. italians simply do not understand the problem with multiple incidents just look at the cars ipse res loquitor

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 07:22 AM
PM

I was almost killed in a car accident in <BR>Italy some years ago. My advice - use public transit. The trains are fabulous in Europe. <BR>

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 07:33 AM
passed

I WAS killed in a traffic accident in Italy three years ago.Please be careful.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 03:19 PM
Art

Passed were you wearing clean underwear? And get off this forum, we don't allow gosts. <BR>

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 03:27 PM
cindy

Hmmm. Good advice so far: clean underwear and run in different directions (after ditching the car, of course). But seriously, you can't rent a car in Italy without all the necessary insurance (they'll ask if you want "personal (bodily) injury" coverage). I just drove for two weeks in Rome and the Amalfi coast area, and had no problems at all. My advice: Just get out of the way if you're not going to keep up speed-wise, don't really stop at stop signs (only at red lights), don't be surprised if a one lane road suddenly turns into three lanes (they really do know what they're doing), and try to keep your eyes all over your head. It's easy. Enjoy the ride. (Sorry, couldn't resist.) <BR>

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 09:10 PM
John H

This thread reminded me of an item I saw in a British humor magazine many, many years ago: <BR> <BR>A photo of a car smashed head-on into the side of a building. The caption: "Fiat. Designed by computers, built by robots, driven by Italians." <BR> <BR>Not very PC, but made me smile. <BR> <BR>John

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 10:09 PM
TexasJaz

Carolyn, you think these people are exaggerating. THEY ARE NOT. I spent last June in Italy. All rules are negotiable. Not only do the scooters not follow the traffice rules, the cars don't either. You can drive a scooter at age 14 and I don't think anyone spent a day in drivers' ed. As mentioned before, they do not stop at stop signs. They also do not find it necessary to drive on their side of the road, in any traffic lane, in short: There are no road rules. <BR>Take public transportation, if it is running. You do want to know what Italy is really like, don't you? Just do not speak to anyone you do not know - it is considered rude. And don't be upset if men rub against you and pinch you. Consider it a compliment. It's Italy, just go with the flow.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 04:32 AM
cindy

"No rules" is not true! They follow their OWN rules, which is far more important. They happen to be good drivers, unlike our (the US's) rude, cut-you-off, run-traffic-lights drivers. I found that once I caught on to their rules, I was much more comfortable driving in Italy than here in the Northeast (I drive I-95 in Southern Conn. everyday, and that's NO PICNIC). <BR> <BR>Carolyn, you have to do what's right for you, but don't expect Italian drivers to be rude. Aggressive, yes; rude, no. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 05:03 AM
Say

TexasJaz..."Just do not speak to anyone you do not know - it is considered rude." <BR> <BR>Is that really true??? I thought the Italians were friendly!!! So,what do you do, wait for them to talk to you? But then, they would be rude. I have never heard this before

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 07:35 AM
John

Carolyn <BR> <BR>When renting a car in Italy, buy the collision and theft insurance (AMEX will not cover rental in Italy, but Visa and MC will). <BR> <BR>If you have a fender bender, or 'discover' damage to the car when you are not around (parking attendants that park your rental play bumper cars) note the details and call your rental company. <BR> <BR>Suggest you get guidance from the local rental office upon arrival where you rent. They are typically very good at giving you direction in the event of ABC situation. <BR> <BR>On a personal note - I have rented in Italy a number of times - and the rental car has sustained damage on three occasions. (Two occasions - parking attendants that denied responsibility . . . one occasion - parked on street). I did not have a problem with the rental company, the insurance covered the damage. <BR> <BR>As far as driving in Italy!!!! The two general rules to follow are: <BR>1. "do not impede the flow of traffic" <BR>2. "drive defensively, but assertively" <BR> <BR>If you are comfortable driving in New York, Chicago or other city areas; you can drive in Italian cities. Outside of city centers driving is a breeze in Italy. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip. <BR> <BR> <BR>