Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are we the only people who chain our luggage in the compartment at the end of the train?

Search

Are we the only people who chain our luggage in the compartment at the end of the train?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just curious if we are overly paranoid. We are packing right now for a trip where we'll be taking the 2nd class Eurostar between Rome & Venice. Our bicycle chain lock will be going in so we can use it to secure our suitcases in the space at the end of the train compartment. They aren't huge suitcases, but I'm sure we probably wouldn't be able to get them in the overhead space. But, maybe that space is bigger than I think. We've used the chain-them-up method before on other trips, but I am wondering if anyone else does anything similar.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 09:55 AM

5 minutes of precaution beats a vacation ruined by stolen luggage. I say you're savy travellers, hanks for the tip.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 09:57 AM

I wished we had brought our bike lock when we went to Germany. The overheads were only large enough for a small duffle, not a suitcase. We - along with half the people on the train - sat WITH our luggage, which wasn't the most confortable configuration.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 12:10 PM

I never see it. But that doesn't mean it wont start happening. I do notice a little more observation by officials at the stations. Particularly after Madrid.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 12:34 PM

We've actually done that for about 10 years. Just remember that if you travel on the TGV in France and get off at intermediate stops where the train halts only briefly, you need to get to the luggage rack and unchain the suitcases well in advance.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 12:35 PM

On some trips I remember to take a luggage lock for the trains. I have a very lightweight cable with a key. I can just see myself in a panic because in the few minutes at the station I have a memory lapse on the combination.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 12:45 PM
J62

In my opinion, yes, you are being overly paranoid. Relax and enjoy the countryside.

The overhead space on ES trains is larger than you might think but the compartment at the end of the coach is handy.

The ES train makes 0 stops Rome to Florence, and maybe 3-4 stops from there to Venice. If you wish you can get up at each stop and watch the bags. After a few stops you'll realize you are still being too paranoid and will decide you need to be less vigilant for the rest of the trip.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's a great idea.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 12:56 PM

We always use a light-weight, long cable and a lock on trains when using the compartments at the end of the train car.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

It is the stops that concern us because that is obviously when someone could easily take jump off with a suitcase. On the Rome-Venice leg of this this trip in particular, we will be jet-lagged having just gotten off the plane from an overnight flight from the U.S. There is a chance we may actually be drowsing through the stops.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 01:29 PM
ira

Hi J,

I have an unused bicycle chain/lock that I can send you, if yours is insufficient.

Not really necessary.

Old Dec 26th, 2007, 01:39 PM

I use the same strap that binds my suitcase closed during plane travel. (These can be purchased with a combo lock.) Sure it is not a Kryptonite but it has worked thus far....
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 01:48 PM

We've done this and it's a nice insurance device. A cable lock is also very handy in train stations while you're waiting. We just run the cable throug all our luggage while waiting. That way if my wife or I go to the bathroom or go get something to eat, the other has a very easy time watching the luggage. Even if one of us would be distracted for a few seconds, nobody is going to lug all our suitcases and backpacks away.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 01:58 PM

Although I can't quite see anyone running very fast with my 50lb suitcases we too use cable ties. Sometimes we just tie the two suitcases together, sometimes to the shelf in the back. When ready to get off we just use our knife and cut the cable tie and off we go. This way we don't have to remember a combination . We have cable locks with a little medal in them (used as extra handcuffs) so they don't cut too easily. It lets me sleep on the train without worry.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Could we have a post here from ANYONE who has had luggage stolen from a train? (I understand that just because it has never happened to me in two decades of train travelling in Europe it couldn't happen.) However, I have never seen a post where someone reported luggage as being stolen from a train.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 02:03 PM

Should read 'it might possibly happen'!
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Yes, I recall reading some posts about stolen luggage on the train. I think it was in Brussels.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 02:08 PM

Yes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. There are many people in this world, however, who carry so much prevention and suspicion with them they are overburdened and cannot enjoy the simple things in life.

- Purell and other antimicrobial creams, wipes, lotions, and soaps.

- So much concern about evil maids in 4* hotels stealing passports and credit card #'s from hotel room safes.

- fear of carrying $500 cash lest it get stolen and ruin a vacation.

- mistrust of apartment owners seeking a deposit wired to them

I'm all for reasonable caution - but even that in moderation. Everyone has their own risk tolerance level. Mine seems to be higher than others.

As long as your paranoia doesn't prevent you from unwinding and enjoying your vacation then by all means lock your bags. There is no right or wrong, just a matter of personal preference.

Old Dec 26th, 2007, 02:13 PM

I have posted this before and will post again, I have witnessed young men entering the train, tossing luggage to someone on the ground and then jumping off the train themselves.

Most all travelers know or learn the hard way that train passengers and their unattended luggage are easy targets. If you just want peace of mind to walk to a cafe car or take a nap, I don't see any big deal of securing your luggage.

In fact I originally got the idea from local Italians.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

adeben--

I'm the OP, and I know someone who did have luggage stolen on a train. Perhaps that is why I am a bit more cautious. Several years ago my daughter had a friend who was biking and camping through Europe. His tent was stolen from the compartment he was in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -