A weekend in Bruges in October Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2019, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A big shout out to Fodors travel forum; when I looked up Bruges, someone wrote to stay in B&B Cote Canal and they were spot on. We stay in lots of B&Bs all over the world and this place was fantastic. Beautiful rooms, close to downtown, nice breakfast at a big table so you can chat with other guests. And chocolate for breakfast.

Bruges was part of a larger trip that started in Reykjavik, continued to Amsterdam and ended up back in Iceland. We took the train from Amsterdam (switched trains in Brussels) then took a taxi to our B&B. There were plenty of cabs at the train station. For the next three days we walked everywhere. Caroline, our B&B host called us a cab when we left (she appreciated knowing this a day in advance).

Bruges is a beautiful medieval city untouched by the ravages of WWII. See the movie “In Bruges” for a darkly funny intro to the city. We were there Oct 18-21 and did the usual stuff: wandered around the nooks and crannies, did a “Legends of Bruges” free walking tour (don’t take the guide’s recommendation for lunch or chocolate), ate frites with mayo, waffles with ice cream and lots of chocolate. We went to the Chocolate Museum and I wandered in and out of a handful of churches. Go slightly hungry to the museum; there are lots of samples. I had wanted to do a canal boat trip, but because it was a weekend and crowded, every boat looked like a refugee boat from a third world country so I opted against it.

We ate well. Go to Fred’s (Markt 20) for waffles. The truck in the burg was also good. Our best meal was at Brasserie Uilenspeigel (Langastraat 2) mussels and frites with heavenly homemade mayonnaise. We had decent food next door at Molenpoort, but I did not appreciate being thrown packets of Heinz mayo when locals around us had homemade. We took Rick Steve’s advice and went to L’ Esaminet (Park 5) where I had bitterballen (croquets popular in Amsterdam).

The weather was cloudy in the upper 50s. What I love about Europe is tiny streets filled with charming buildings. Bruges did not disappoint.

Old Nov 27th, 2019, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get hungry just reading your post.
Sounds you had a great time. I will check out that B&B when we will be there again, chocolate for breakfast! win-win