Reload this Page >

A week in MADRID

Search

A week in MADRID

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Todd

A week in MADRID

The wife and I have just a week. We're thinking of getting a car & heading north. Any must see towns in that direction? Train vs. car? Thanks for your help.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Ron

Given the short time that you are there, I think you would be better off taking a couple of day trips by train, maybe including an overnighter. In Madrid, be sure to see the Royal Palace.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Maira

If you have never been there, I would explore Madrid and environs and I wouldn't recommend a car. This is what I proposed:<BR><BR>DAY 1 Royal Palace Tour, Walk the streets near Puerta del Sol, Plaza Mayor, Parque del Retiro. "Get your bearings" day.<BR><BR>DAY 2 AM Museo del Prado PM Museo Reina Sofia Tapas Bars<BR><BR>DAY 3 Day trip to Toledo. Take a guided half-day from Madrid (Julia Tours on Gran Via, 68) and return to Madrid by train on your own. Do not attempt Toledo without getting familiar with the city first. Toledo can be overwhelming as a daytrip if unprepared. <BR><BR>DAY 4 Full day guided tour Segovia - Avila or Avila - El Escorial. <BR><BR>DAY 5 Train on to Seville on the AVE (high speed express). Overnight in Seville. Explore Seville.<BR><BR>DAY 6 Explore Seville. PM return to Madrid<BR><BR>DAY 7 Departure? <BR><BR>What do you think? Again, this applies if this is your first in Spain/Madrid. What are your plans for lodging?

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Gigi

Hi, Todd<BR>I enjoyed the countryside of Spain last year and spent 10 days with a car. It is very easy to get around Spain. I'd recommend El Escorial and Toledo for starters. Even if you booked a car for three days, you could easily see these two cities and Segovia, which some people think is the nicest little city in Spain. Farther away, is Montserrat. Their enchanting choir performs daily around 11:30, I believe. It is a spectacular drive to this monastery. In fact, I was highly impressed with the countryside of Spain, including the northern area and including the Pyrennes (sp?). You may email me, if you like, and I can share some particulars of my trips to that area.<BR>Enjoy, Todd!

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Todd

Thanks so much for your assistance!

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Todd

Maira, We have no plans for lodging but would love to hear your suggestions. Thanks again.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Maira

Todd, in case you haven't find out already, seek out past posts of Madrid by Maribel, Paolo, and many others that are just so generous on their sharing of advice. <BR><BR>In the mid-range budget level, I have stayed at a Best Western off Gran Via called Hotel Atlantico. I recommend it; $90/double includes a great buffet breakfast. They stated the rooms were quiet and they were. That said I also recommend Hotel Mora ($55/double; across from Museo del Prado, with a small cafe adjacent to the hotel). While walking around, I stopped at three hotels to picked up brochures. They all had superb location, nice ambiance, good security, and appeared to be excellent value. Those are Hotel Carlos V (if you can find a room, take it), Hotel Europa and Hotel Liabeney. They are all close to Hotel Puerta del Sol, either on a pedestrian area or on a quiet corner. Maribel recommends a hotel in the Salamanca District (upscale area of Madrid) where my best friend stayed and she also recommends it highly. I'll post again if I find the name. Let me know if you need more info or websites. I would start e-mailing hotels and checking availability and prices. Have fun planning!