Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A week in England with a car, need help with distances

Jun 16th, 1998, 01:42 PM
Kate

Going on first trip to England in October. Will be coming from Paris...any suggestions as to the best way for that? Plan on renting a car in England and haven't been able to tell from the books I've read so far exactly how far apart things are. Plan on just staying in the southern part, would like to see everything we can. If we stay at a B&B in the middle southeast for 3 days then one in the middle south west will we be able to drive to most places? Any help or suggestions gladly taken, thanks.

Jun 16th, 1998, 02:56 PM
Mike Miller

If you are going from Paris to London the Eurostar (Chunnel) is your best bet. You could also go from Calais to Dover on a ferry and I'm sure you could pick up a rental at Dover and you could start your Southeast Leg. Distances in England are very deceiving in that it takes much longer to travel them than it does in the US. There are only a few motorways and most of the "A" roads are only two lanes. Take your time and drive through some of the villages. You will be pleasantly surprised. Aside from Winchester, I've never done much travel in the Southeast but alot in the Southwest. I would recommend you see Bath, Salisbury, Lacock, Castle Coombe, and if you like Naval history, Portsmouth is a wonderful day with visits to Henry VIII's Mary Rose, Nelsons Victory and HMS Warrior along with a splendid Naval Museum but really there is so much to see in this area, you need to get a good guidebook and plan it out yourself. I also would buy an AA Road atlas at wherever you pick up your car. You should get one that is scaled at least 3 miles to the inch to enable you to properly navigate this densly populated country. You will have no problem staying at almost any B&B this time of the year. Bring rain gear!

Jun 16th, 1998, 04:40 PM
Karen

Mike is correct in his assessment of driving in the south. We have taken two driving trips throughout the south of England, east to west, just meandering on the little A or B roads. It is amazing how little territory you cover when you are stopping to see everything along the way. Another thing to see down by the Mary Rose and Portsmouth is the D-Day Tapestry Museum...also, Brighton and the Pavilion is very interesting and different...and, the home of Lord Mountbatten, Prince Charles' godfather, in Romsey(name of the home escapes my mind)also, Phillip and Elizabeth spent part of their honeymoon there...it is a beautiful home on a more reasonable scale to comprehend. Absolutely get a good large scale map...it will make your life a lot happier. Don't make any reservations, you will see loads of B&Bs that will suit you. It is nice that the sun is up so late and you will have a nice, long day to investigate everything that interests you.

Jun 17th, 1998, 10:01 AM
Gino

Go to: http://www.route66.nl/demo/demo.html
Enter a starting point and destination point, and they will give you a detailed account of the trip including a map of your trip--miles driven, time of trip and the gas used on the trip. This is good for any country in Europe including Eastern European countries. Try it, you'll like it!

Jun 17th, 1998, 11:11 PM
raeona

This is all good advice, but it seems to come from locals....not travelers.

Prepare yourselves to get lost! Even with a map in your lap. A very good map!!!!

And, if you have never driven somewhere with "roundabouts" or their Washignton DC equivalent.....study up. Ready yourself to just circle in the inside (far inside) lane until you figure what you want to do. There is absolutely nothing wrong with going round and round....and round and round.....until you are sure of what lane you want to take. The spouse and I took to announcing it in WW II, clock terms, such as: you want to go right at 9 a.m. ...or ....steady on, till 1 oo clcok and then straight on....Nonetheless,, we still spent a lot of time hopoesslessly lost. Prepare yourself for it.. It's bound to happen.

Jun 17th, 1998, 11:17 PM
Raeona

A p.s. ..... At least one guidebook "blew off" Dover.

We found it quite an interesting spot (esp since we landed there on the ferry from Calais).

The castle is so welln preserved, compared to others seen in Britain, and the tour of the wartime tunnels is well worthwhile.

In addition to which, to anyone not yet familiar with London, or maybe headed that way: The Imperial War Museum and Churchill War Rooms are remarkable. E-m for any additional ?s