A wee report on my week in Edinburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edinburgh is the perfect destination for a solo female treveler; it is safe and compact. It is a pretty city with friendly people and so much to see and do.

The weather was fine. I encountered rain only one time, an afternoon shower on my way home from the National Gallery.

I stayed at the B&B 16 Lynedoch Place (thanks, Ani) which is a beautiful home near Princes Street. It is very popular and rightly so. I plan to stay there the next time I visit Edinburgh.

I took a Guide Friday hop on-hop off bus because of the live guide rather than a recorded message. I made the complete round then got off at the castle where I spent the next four hours with an audio guide (highly recommended.)

Another favorite place was the Museum of Scotland and the adjoining Royal Museum. I arrived at the M. of Scotland just in time for a forty five minute overview tour led by a very interesting guide. There are several free tours offered during the day. I could spend days in these two museums! I ate lunch at the Tower Restaurant while I was there, expensive but good food and great service.

Some other things I enjoyed:

The walk from Dean to Stockbridge along the Water of Leith walkway. I spent several hours at the Royal Botanic Gardens in Inverlieth.

The bus ride to Leith where I visited the Royal Yacht Britannia.

The People's Museum and the Museum of Childhood on the Royal Mile.

St. Giles' Cathedral where I was fortunate to hear a lovely concert by a women's chorus from Regis College, Massachusetts.

The National Gallery in New Town.

Restaurants that I enjoyed were A Room in the West End, La Petite Folie and La Rusticana. I ate at Antipasti on the first night as it was near my B&B; the food was good but there is no ambiance.

A few pictures of my trip are on our web site:
http://homepage.mac.com/pj2592/PhotoAlbum34.html

I spent my last night near Gatwick as I had a fairly early flight the next day. I stayed at the Gable End Guest House in Horley and would recommend that as well.

I plan to return next year with my husband. I still have so much to see!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 01:26 PM

Lovely photos, Judi! Did you eat Haggis?
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 01:29 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I want to be you when I grow up! (oops, I don't think I want to group up though... so maybe I'll just be you!)

Great trip, Judi. Beautiful photos.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 01:30 PM

It isn't that bad being a Grasshopper either!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 01:36 PM

Or a Scarlett! Aren't we lucky?
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 01:37 PM

LOL, we are our own fan club

Edinburgh is on my list of must see cities, along with a special lady that lives in Scotland.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 02:48 PM

Nice going Judi, next time I 'll go a travelin with you! Meant to write back to you, but too busy putting our house up for sale> Loved your pictures BTW, ALL of them, specially Alaska! I adored Edinburgh, glad you did too! Judy
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Judi, lovely pictures. You have my favorite scene of Charlotte Square - in the spring/late winter when all the crocuses are in bloom.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 04:51 PM

I have been to Edinburgh 3 times, all during the festivals in August. I love the place!

I do agree with your recommendation of The Museum of Scotland. Fabulous museum! I spent 3 hours there on my last trip and it wasn't nearly enough. I closed the place down and did not have time for the museum shop.

Thanks for the trip report!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:53 PM

Glad to hear 16 Lynedoch Place was great. We leave for London tomorrow and will be at 16 Lynedoch Place 7 days later. There have been mixed reviews on tripadvisor.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:03 PM

really nice report Judi. Also good to know about 16 Lynedoch Place. I have kept that as a back up for when I can't get into Castle View. So far I've always been able to book far enough ahead to get into CV, but it is good to know Lynedoch Place is that nice if I need to try them.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:39 PM

Judi

That's a terrifically helpful report. Thanks.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:48 PM

Thank you for this info! I'm going to Edinburgh this summer and will bring all your recommendations. Great pics, too.

Kristin
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 10:36 PM

Hi Judi,
Great pictures. Brings back memories of our trip two years ago, and you pack so much in such a short time. I would love to return to see all we've missed. We spent a month, but only saw the middle, although the highlands were our favorite for the beautiful scenery.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for looking at my Edinburgh pics and for the kind words.

About the reviews of 16 Lynedoch Place on Tripadvisor: I saw every room and I thought they were all very nice. Not all rooms have a view, but what is there to view other than the sky to see what the weather is? Some people would complain if they were hanged with a new rope....

BTW, I do know how to spell traveler.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 01:46 PM

But Judi, the important question is whether or not the hotel manager will run out to K-Mart and purchase the new rope!
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 02:23 PM
Ani

Judi! I just saw this post and will view your pics in a moment but I wanted to say thanks for the trip report-sounds GREAT and of course, makes me want to go back. Glad you enjoyed Lynedoch!!
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:39 PM

Wow, I never knew Edinburgh had so much to offer.
Next time, I promise not to get so p*ssed in the pubs, I should've done that in Glasgow instead.

Did manage to make it to Greyfriar's Kirkyard though, with its surreal gothic atmosphere.
Its haunted. I wonder if that little dog ever saw any ghosts.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 04:55 PM

Judi.....Thanks for your terrific report!!!
Your photos are great!!!
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 05:36 PM

Eeek! I leave for Edinburgh in 2 months for my first time & I can't wait! Glad to hear about being safe, there's 2 of us girls going but still. I loved your pictures. I can't wait to take my own.

Glad you had a good time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -